logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline squirrel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:31:23 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
It has been a stale moment since I was able to make forward progress on the site here. Much time has been spent working with developers and assisting in testing/fixing of certain issues throughout the code.

At this time, we have resolved the following issues, and are in process of posting updates to this server for your site.

First fix should resolve many issues for users of Internet Explorer 10 and 11. The site was almost completely broken by Microsoft when they made changes to Internet Explorer 10 and was fully broken by changes to Internet Explorer 11. We have independent of Microsoft (since their fixes failed miserably), release and updated code that is at the server level that will restore function for users who have Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11. It should also work for future versions as well.

Second fix involves search availability. We have upped the search results to 200. This is a testing phase. You may get a timeout, but we believe it would be rare. This is a TWO part fix. The second part happens behind the scenes on my end. I have invested a large sum to make improvements in my network and server infrastructure since the time when we updated your site this last time. That investment involved several feature additions to the database server that hosts this site. We are currently testing the new search indexing features that have been added, and once we can verify they are functioning properly, we will enable them server-wide (which will include this site). This should enhance the search speed, as well as help target the results better. It should also enable is to keep the 200+ results settings for search without creating timeout errors further down the line.

Third fix involves email notifications. This is also a two-part fix - the first part takes care of messages showing up in your mailboxes in "Chinese" - literally, Chinese. Another Microsoft issue that was not properly transferring settings from a member's language to the email system's language - and thus - the email was mailing out in Chinese. You would think an "English" server would default to English, but not in this case... The second part of the fix involves going through the ENTIRE system, and completely flushing out ALL topic subscriptions. It also involves verifying that ALL users have a valid email address. The multiple-notifications are caused by 'bad email addresses' getting stuck in the system (usually from users who have not updated their profiles when their email address changes). When a bad address gets stuck in the system, the mailer keeps trying to send a message to that account (and any accounts that were in line before that one. This behavior has been changed partially, but the other part depends on us (me) cleaning out the old subscriptions so that when the system does get enabled, any old user subscriptions (especially for users who do not visit anymore and have outdated information) will be dropped from the notifications, so that we don't get stuck in a loop.

The first fix for Internet Explorer has already been applied. The other two are being tested and should be online by the weekend if not sooner - I'm shooting for Friday so that while everyone is relaxing after the big Turkey Day we will be running with the new fixes...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
.: squirrel :.
Server Guy - https://dedicate-it.net
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:12:02 PM(UTC)

Wow. Glad you are back. That sounds complicated. I remember, the system would send out 8 e mail notices for one PM. Maybe just bag the auto e mail notices for now and let people just check in to see new thread additions or PMs.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline Chris K  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:43:35 PM(UTC)

Woman
I can't see who's reading a post.

I like to see who is reading so I can decide what to say. I hope this feature is restored.
Offline MissJ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:07:32 AM(UTC)

Is that new? I usually can see which posters are reading a thread. It says 'users browsing this topic'. Sometimes I see others browsing same topic. Other times it's just me.

Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post

I like to see who is reading so I can decide what to say. I hope this feature is restored.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline squirrel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:12:10 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, that feature was never disabled. It shows at the bottom of each screen when you are reading. It also shows who's browsing forums. Keep in mind that is 'realtime' -- it doesn't track who's read a topic - only who's currently in it at the same time you are (and those statistics can be skewed by several minutes due to server caching)...
.: squirrel :.
Server Guy - https://dedicate-it.net