logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline squirrel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:35:37 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
Over the last several days, I have been getting reports from various sources that many members are having problems using Internet Explorer 10 or 11 with various websites that are powered by the exact same software we use here. Ironically, no reports came from this site, but several other sites I maintain.

What we discovered through many days of testing and diagnosing, is that in some technical wizardry at Microsoft, someone made a 'breaking' change to how our servers (or any Microsoft Servers) discover what web browser you are using, and then customize the server's answers back to your browser.

This change was added to Internet Explorer 10 and 11. IE 10 was still able to mostly work, and as such - we didn't hear of many problems with it. Internet Explorer 11 was completely broken when viewing these sites. You can't click buttons - they don't do anything - and so on and so forth. All in all, it comes down to a measly set of instructions that they neglected to provide server owners with to be prepared for these changes. Not only that, but the 'patches' they did provide us with - the ones that would restore these very standard functions to our servers and sites, failed miserably.

So after some several days of my technicians mapping out the needed changes, we have installed our own internal set of fixes to the servers that host ALL our sites (not only this one but the thousands of other sites we serve on our network). As of 5am, anyone who was having problems with Internet Explorer 10 or 11 and this forum should now be able to use everything as it was intended.

If you still have problems, PLEASE try an alternative browser, like Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox - that will allow you onto these forums so you can continue posting. And if you do have to use another browser, please post and let us know that so we can work to completely eradicate the problems with Internet Explorer.

As additional notes, there are some final /theme/ and /layout/ fixes coming - as well as a final patch for the issue that takes the website down occasionally. I have received updates from the YAF people who develop the forum software and we are testing a resolution to the sometimes error of "Thread was being aborted" that you see on the screen sometimes. That should be up and running by the weekend. We are also working on restoring all email notifications that had to be disabled due to the tons and tons of 'duplicates' being sent out.

.: squirrel :.
Server Guy - https://dedicate-it.net