logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Beholder  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 12:45:28 AM(UTC)

Not sure I spelled it correctly but Actinic Keratosis are basically sun damaged lesions that can be transparent or slightly raised and colored like freckles or moles. Unfortunately, in my Southern California youth, I did a lot of sunbathing and now I'm paying the price. I hate these ugly spots. Has anyone had success with peels or IPL for sun damaged skin? My face is actually better than my forearms and legs which look especially bad when I try to use self tanner and it clings to those spots. I'd like to reverse some of this sun damage if possible but not sure about what is hype and what works. Retina A seems to help on my face but I've tried it on my hands and forearms and haven't noticed any difference. Any advice?
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:10:56 AM(UTC)

Find an older and/or old fashion derm who will cyro-freeze them off.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline Beholder  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:17:24 AM(UTC)

Thank you Miss J. My old dermatologist cryo froze one off and it left a white spot. I might have to decide whether i want white spots or brown spots. Was hoping there was some newer remedy.
Offline Sarah W  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:21:18 PM(UTC)

Woman
I had dents and white spots post cryo-freeze. I had more success using the sap of a common plant,milkweed It takes 3 days to work and about 10 days to heal.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21375515/

I just got mine out of the garden

There is also a ling to photodynamic therapy in that article if the DYI approach worries you!
Offline Beholder  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 9:23:26 PM(UTC)

Thank you Sarah. I'm going to ask about photodynamic therapy when I find a good dermatologist. I appreciate the link.
Offline Beholder  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 9:41:29 PM(UTC)

Sarah, now I am intrigued with the milkweed sap. Did you find the healing period to be very bad? Did the sap burn and turn the lesions raw and red and then after healing, how did the skin look? Maybe I will try this on my leg. I wonder if Home Depot sells milkweed.
Offline Sarah W  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:05:33 PM(UTC)

Woman
Yes it burns and goes red, but only the skin with keratosis. After healing, the skin looked a bit pinker than the surrounding skin, then normal.I did not get white patches. You need to google the plant as it is a weed and you cannot buy it to my knowledge.It grows all over the place where I live! I have to get rid of it.

The other treatment is topical fluorouracil, but you have to use that for weeks.

You can buy the milkweed cream (it has been approved by the FDA) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/113686757875. I use the natural plant. It does work but you cannot use it near the eyes and you need to check online for any adverse reactions as some people can get them. So please do your own research!
Offline Beholder  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:21:03 PM(UTC)

Thank you Sarah, I will do more research but I appreciate your experience with it.
Offline MissJ  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:06:24 AM(UTC)

When Sarah said 'Milkweed', I thought it was the very common easy to ID tall plant in my geo-local.
https://www.wnpr.org/pos...urnal-milkweed-monarchs

When in bloom it's got very fragrant small clusters of purple flowers. Butterflies love it. When picked, white milky sap comes out. But it was not that.

The botanical name of the plant Sarah is calling 'Milkweed' is 'Euphorbia peplus'. Common name/s; 'Petty Spurge', 'Cancer weed'.

Here are some links to photos of it. But it might be one of those weeds/wild plants that could be hard to ID if weed/wild plant identification wasn't a past time or hobby or if it wasn't a common weed in your geo-local.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.../Euphorbia%20peplus.htm

http://mecklenburghsquar...uk/common-garden-spurge/
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

Offline Beholder  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 12:02:20 PM(UTC)

Interesting that it's called cancer weed. I'm going to see a dermatologist first and then maybe buy a tube of the milkweed off Ebay.
Offline Sarah W  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:03:41 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
Interesting that it's called cancer weed. I'm going to see a dermatologist first and then maybe buy a tube of the milkweed off Ebay.

That sounds very sensible. Do let's know how you get on
Offline Beholder  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:53:37 PM(UTC)

I saw the nurse practitioner today and she suggested IPL for my sun damage on my hands and arms. I'm going to try that and then do a 25% tca peel on my face. I ordered the milkweed gel for the AKs on my legs. I will proceed with caution.
Offline Beholder  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:07:08 PM(UTC)

I also forgot to mention that I'm going to try radiesse in my hands. The NP was probably in her late fifties or sixties and her hands looked so good. She told me that she had Radiesse injections in them to fill them out. I'm turning 57 tomorrow and am trying to do this small non invasive stuff first. Hopefully I'm not just wasting money.
Offline Sarah W  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:35:52 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
I saw the nurse practitioner today and she suggested IPL for my sun damage on my hands and arms. I'm going to try that and then do a 25% tca peel on my face. I ordered the milkweed gel for the AKs on my legs. I will proceed with caution.

Great. Sounds like a plan. I have a friend who had photodynamic therapy (PDT) on her extemely bad arms and had a good result too.

How long does it take to heal from that strength TCA peel?

Offline Beholder  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 7:06:53 PM(UTC)

The face heals pretty quickly from TCA peel. I had under my eyes done years ago with 35% and it took about two weeks to be able to cover it with makeup. The redness faded in about six weeks.