logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JonathanA  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 9:48:09 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 270
Hey Everybody,

I have a pretty nasty keloid from a (failed) alar base reduction. It runs along the side of one nostril for about a quarter of an inch. I've tried Kelo-Cote and haven't had much luck.

Does anyone know of any lasers that might help with this? I'm wary about undergoing scar revision surgery, but I'm hoping that there are other, less-invasive options to help improve the appearance of the keloid.

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Meeka  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 3:18:05 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/3/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,659
Location: UK
Hi Jon,

Are you sure you have a keloid. Keloids grow outside the area of the original scar . Your scar is more likely to be hypertrophic, red and raised but not growing outside its boundaries?

I had severe hypertrophic scarring following a facelift. I had 5FU mixed with steroid injections which helped. I tried laser, all sorts and it didn't help. I have just had my scars revised with a revision facelift and i'm happy with the result.
Offline JonathanA  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 1:11:34 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by: Meeka Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jon,

Are you sure you have a keloid. Keloids grow outside the area of the original scar . Your scar is more likely to be hypertrophic, red and raised but not growing outside its boundaries?

I had severe hypertrophic scarring following a facelift. I had 5FU mixed with steroid injections which helped. I tried laser, all sorts and it didn't help. I have just had my scars revised with a revision facelift and i'm happy with the result.


Thanks very much, Meeka.

I think you're right - it is a hypertrophic scar and not a true keloid. It appears pretty much as you described, except it's white-colored and not red.

I will speak to a local plastic surgeon about 5FU and/or steroid injections. I have been pretty disappointed with laser therapy in general, so I'm happy to explore another route if there aren't any lasers that can effectively treat this condition.

Thanks again.

-Jon
Offline pauluk  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 4:33:09 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/30/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2,978
Location: UK
i have this scar and was offered erbium laser - yet to do it though. they said two weeks' social down time
Offline Quno  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 5:01:56 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/21/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by: JonathanA Go to Quoted Post
Thanks very much, Meeka.

I think you're right - it is a hypertrophic scar and not a true keloid. It appears pretty much as you described, except it's white-colored and not red.

I will speak to a local plastic surgeon about 5FU and/or steroid injections. I have been pretty disappointed with laser therapy in general, so I'm happy to explore another route if there aren't any lasers that can effectively treat this condition.

Thanks again.

-Jon


I have them as well. Co2 laser didn't help but maybe several co2s would've helped more.

Truthfully, I think you'll need it excised and realigned if it's bad - they don't really improve with lasers at all.
Offline JonathanA  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:58:17 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 270
Thanks, Paul. That is quite a bit of downtime for a laser! I'll look into it.

Quno - you may very well be right. I want to exhaust all my options before going the surgical route, but I think the odds are that an excision will be required to correct the scarring. Hopefully they can do it with local rather than general anesthesia.

Thanks again.

-Jon
Offline myjawplease  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 8:30:12 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/29/2009(UTC)
Posts: 189
Location: la
Hi Jon, I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. I have a hypertrophic scar under my right nostril and side of nose (from a lip lift though)- have been trying to treat this for the last 4 months or so.
I did the V beam laser which barely did anything.. The scar has turned white with time though.
I did 1 round of a steroid shot which didn't do anything and 2 rounds of 5FU with Dr Hoenig which brought it down slightly BUT - left a couple small holes- i think where the needle went in, so now the texture of the scar is more rough.. Maybe even more noticeable than before. I'm not happy with it.
I'm looking into fraxel and erbium.. But there are so many bad things written about Fraxel.. Kind of freaked out. I also went on a consult about the dermapen but he said it wouldn't work for that area since it was too close to the nose... So maybe micro needling with a single needle or aggressive dermabrasion would be something to look into too.. What lasers have you tried?

Christa
Offline JonathanA  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:17:11 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by: myjawplease Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jon, I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. I have a hypertrophic scar under my right nostril and side of nose (from a lip lift though)- have been trying to treat this for the last 4 months or so.
I did the V beam laser which barely did anything.. The scar has turned white with time though.
I did 1 round of a steroid shot which didn't do anything and 2 rounds of 5FU with Dr Hoenig which brought it down slightly BUT - left a couple small holes- i think where the needle went in, so now the texture of the scar is more rough.. Maybe even more noticeable than before. I'm not happy with it.
I'm looking into fraxel and erbium.. But there are so many bad things written about Fraxel.. Kind of freaked out. I also went on a consult about the dermapen but he said it wouldn't work for that area since it was too close to the nose... So maybe micro needling with a single needle or aggressive dermabrasion would be something to look into too.. What lasers have you tried?

Christa


Thanks for the info, Christa. Sorry to hear that you have run into so much trouble trying to correct the scar.

I have tried two lasers for acne in the past (I believe one was called "Clearlight" and the other was "Smoothbeam"). Neither was particularly effective, and certainly not worth the price tag. I also work with a dermatologist who has told me that lasers are great for certain rare conditions but not quite the panacea that many physicians make them out to be.

I will be consulting with a revision rhinoplasty specialist soon to discuss the scar. I'm hoping that he will be able to suggest a conservative treatment beyond a silicone-based scar gel. If surgery is necessary, I may go that route provided that it can be performed under local anesthesia.

-Jon
Offline Meeka  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 3:49:55 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/3/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,659
Location: UK
I have a history of hypertrophic scarring. Had a revision of all my scars with a recent revision facelift.

I went to see my derm to ask his advice in case my scars start to become hypertrophic again. He gave me Haelan Tape. It contains Fludroxycortide 4 micrograms per square centimetre. Its a very thin discreet tape, a little like cellotape. It can be cut to size and makeup can be applied over it. The steroid in it works for 12 hours so it can be worn at night. It also has a benefit of flattening the scars as it acts a little like a silicone sheet.

I have used it on some of my scars that looked like they were thickening slightly. Seems to be good and does no harm. May be worth a try for you who have these problem scars.
Offline JonathanA  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:11:28 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/29/2010(UTC)
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by: Meeka Go to Quoted Post
I have a history of hypertrophic scarring. Had a revision of all my scars with a recent revision facelift.

I went to see my derm to ask his advice in case my scars start to become hypertrophic again. He gave me Haelan Tape. It contains Fludroxycortide 4 micrograms per square centimetre. Its a very thin discreet tape, a little like cellotape. It can be cut to size and makeup can be applied over it. The steroid in it works for 12 hours so it can be worn at night. It also has a benefit of flattening the scars as it acts a little like a silicone sheet.

I have used it on some of my scars that looked like they were thickening slightly. Seems to be good and does no harm. May be worth a try for you who have these problem scars.


Thanks, Meeka! That looks promising. I'll be sure to ask about it when I go in for my consult.

-Jon
Offline Quno  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2015 6:38:53 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/21/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,505
Thank you Meeka, that is very interesting info.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Previous Topic Next Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.