logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rpm754  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:43:26 PM(UTC)

Man
I've been taking a multivitamin once a day for nearly a decade. I just buy the cheap generic brand from Rite Aid. It does contain Lycopene - which I hear helps to prevent skin damage and is good for your heart.

What are your thoughts? Do you think taking multi-vitamins really has any sort of health benefits? Should I be looking into better brands maybe? I don't even know why I really take them.. lol. I guess just because it's reassuring.
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline barbiegirl  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:14:28 PM(UTC)

Woman
Vitamins/minerals/nutritional supplements do have a large benefit, especially considering that our food suplly generally has a low level of trace nutrients and are usually loaded with chemicals. Quality is key when taking a multivitamin. You may save money with a store brand, but they are also using poorer quality sources/forms that are far less bioavailable. Personally, I think the Flora brand is really good, and it is available at most health food stores. I know Capers/Wholefoods carries the line here. I also really like DHA/EPA supplements, which provide essential fatty acids to moisturize the body (and skin) from within and slow aging. Many women find prenatal vitamin formulas work well, especially if they are borderline anemic, because of the high iron, B6, and folate content. Many women find their hair and nails grow faster, healthier, and stronger and their skin looks better. I take a prenatal vitamin daily and love the results.
http://www.florahealth.com
"My friends, love is better than anger.
Hope is better than fear.
Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.
And we’ll change the world"

Wear a yellow ribbon, March is Endometriosis Awareness Month!
Offline Carleyp  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 3:42:35 PM(UTC)

Woman

I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts/posts in the celeb threads rpm754. Always good to see frequent readers come out of lurkerdom.

Agree with barbiegirl: a daily multivitamin is important for added insurance against missing nutrients. Personally I think store brands from major retailers are cost effective and fine. But I wouldn’t buy them at the dollar store.

If you’re a guy or post-menopausal woman, buy the ones that don’t have iron. There’s a fair amount of cardiac research showing that men and seniors shouldn’t take supplemental dietary iron. The multi vitamins without iron will usually be the “Men’s”, “Senior” or “Silver” variety.
Offline barbiegirl  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:51:35 PM(UTC)

Woman
Carlyp, I agree that men and post menopausal women should not take excessive iron, but a small amount (under 10mg) is fine if there are no problems with hemachromatosis and they aren't eating excessive iron in their diet. People with this condition should not take amy supplemental iron in any way, shape or form. Most vitamin formulas contain a form of iron that is not easily absorbed, so the amount one would actually be absorbing would be small and fine as a general health supplement. Quality counts, the chemical form or compund used makes a big difference in the absorbability of the vitamin/mineral. You will get the most benefit out of taking a high quality supplement compared to a store brand.

Offline rpm754  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:20:17 PM(UTC)

Man
Barbie and Carley, thank you both for your input.

I just looked at my vitamin bottle it is "Member's Mark - Complete Multi'.. lol. Apparently formulated for "active adults".

My vitamin does contain 18mg of Iron. I am only 23 and male, so I guess I will be looking for a new multi-vitamin tommorow. Why specifically should iron be avoided if you are male or post-menopausal? I remember my brother telling me something about this, but I have since forgotten. He said I should look into getting an amino acid supplements too - not sure what he meant.

Again, thanks.
Offline barbiegirl  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:38:11 PM(UTC)

Woman
Women lose iron monthly with their periods are require a lot of iron during pregnancy. Men and post menopausal women are not losing blood on a regular basis, therefore, they need less iron. I would not suggest taking isolated amino acids, they are not even legal to take here. They can act very much like medicines and it is much better to get them through whole food.

Offline MissJ  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:37:03 PM(UTC)

Too much iron can degrade vitamin E. Besides, if you are a meat eater, you will get plenty of iron. Also, if you want Lycopene, eat tomatoes. Google how many mgs are in a tomato and compare to amount in the supplement.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline rpm754  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 8:56:21 AM(UTC)

Man
MissJ wrote:
Also, if you want Lycopene, eat tomatoes. Google how many mgs are in a tomato and compare to amount in the supplement.

Thanks, I took your suggestion. For anybody who is curious; I found that there are approximately 3 mg of Lycopene per tomato. The recommended amount of Lycopene intake per day varies slightly depending on which article I have read. However, '6.5 mg or more' appears to be the median consensus.