logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline simk420  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 10:39:30 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
I went to a couple consults with some dermatologists for treatment of redness around my nose.
One doc recommended the Vbeam laser which uses the Pulse Dye Laser technology.
And the other doc recommended the Yag laser.
I'm not sure which one is the best course or if they are even worth it to begin with based upon your opinions.
On a side note: I have type 3 skin level since I am middle eastern/south Asian and I am unsure about the possibility of hypo/hyperpigmentation and/or perm scarring. Attachd are pics below.
I wouldn't mind any opinions you have about the lasers or any other lasers u think might be good. Or even if u dont believe lasers work I would like to know as well. thanks
simk420 attached the following image(s):
Front of nose.JPG (261kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Right Side noxe.JPG (448kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Left Side nose (2).JPG (569kb) downloaded 21 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Quno  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:56:40 AM(UTC)

I would say the pulsed dye laser is best for significant redness. It takes longer than IPL and leaves very deep purple "dots" - bruises - meaning that you usually have to go over it with a normal IPL handpiece several weeks later as there will be areas of redness surrounding the dots, which will be white after treatment.

The YAG is best for telangiactasias (defined red/purple veins) which you don't seem to have.

I'd suggest IPL (with a square handpiece) for the diffuse redness. I found the Lumenis IPL the best for what you have.
Offline ahappycamper  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:11:53 AM(UTC)

Man
have heard that v beam is for more focused, concentrated punch hole type discoloration. and like Quno said, IPL is for more diffused redness to soften the edges of what the V beam didn't clean up completely.

do you have any other skin issues? IPL is supposed to be a jack of all trades machine and it is supposed to take care of other defects that you might ahve on your skin. i think V beam could be overkill at this point.
Offline Hydroxyboy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:51:28 PM(UTC)

I had treatments with a lbo diodelaser called Quadrostar. It targets the visible red veins and gets rid of them immediately. However the do reappear after a few months/years. For the diffuse redness I also did IPL a few times but it never vanished completely. I am also very interested to hear if anybody on here got rid of the redness completely. I also felt that I have enlarged pores in that area after the IPL treatments that were not like that before the treatment. I don't like IPL. It is not precise enough for me.
Offline simk420  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:58:18 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
Originally Posted by: Hydroxyboy Go to Quoted Post
I had treatments with a lbo diodelaser called Quadrostar. It targets the visible red veins and gets rid of them immediately. However the do reappear after a few months/years. For the diffuse redness I also did IPL a few times but it never vanished completely. I am also very interested to hear if anybody on here got rid of the redness completely. I also felt that I have enlarged pores in that area after the IPL treatments that were not like that before the treatment. I don't like IPL. It is not precise enough for me.

That would be my fear as well. I do not want to get enlarged pores after the IPL treatment as I already have large pores as it is. I wouldn't want them to make craters on my nose.

Originally Posted by: ahappycamper Go to Quoted Post
have heard that v beam is for more focused, concentrated punch hole type discoloration. and like Quno said, IPL is for more diffused redness to soften the edges of what the V beam didn't clean up completely.

do you have any other skin issues? IPL is supposed to be a jack of all trades machine and it is supposed to take care of other defects that you might ahve on your skin. i think V beam could be overkill at this point.

I dont have any other skin issues and I do have some small amount of red veins which you cannot see as clearly in the picture but, u can slightly see it on the picture showcasing the left side of my nose if you look closely, u'll see some small amount of red veins

Originally Posted by: Quno Go to Quoted Post
I would say the pulsed dye laser is best for significant redness. It takes longer than IPL and leaves very deep purple "dots" - bruises - meaning that you usually have to go over it with a normal IPL handpiece several weeks later as there will be areas of redness surrounding the dots, which will be white after treatment.

The YAG is best for telangiactasias (defined red/purple veins) which you don't seem to have.

I'd suggest IPL (with a square handpiece) for the diffuse redness. I found the Lumenis IPL the best for what you have.

Thanks, yea I'm looking for a laser type that has the least amount of power as possible, just in case of irreversible damage. Looks like your suggestion of IPL may be it

Edited by user Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:05:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Sarah W  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:24:55 PM(UTC)

Woman
I had damage with IPL:(
Offline MissJ  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:34:05 PM(UTC)

V beam by Candela is basically the gold standard for redness but it might take a number of treatments. Power settings can be adjusted. It's a LASER which specifically goes after red. Has a 'freeze' cold attachment to it so it does not hurt as much.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Maggie67  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:33:23 PM(UTC)

I've had pretty good results with the Gentle Max laser-2 sessions so far and one to go.It certainly didn't hurt and didn't leave any bruises etc.
Offline simk420  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:08:40 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
Cool. I have an appt november 11th for a 2nd consult for the Vbeam laser. i think i"ll go with the vbeam. Sounds like there wouldnt be as much damage in comparison
Offline simk420  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 8:16:18 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
I made an appointment to get the laser treatment for January9th, 2015. hopefully will get good results.
Offline simk420  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 8:00:10 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
I re-booked the appntment for an earlier date and had it done this past week. Just to test how my skin would react to the laser, I had my dermtlgst use a lower setting. He called it (the non-bruising phase). Dr. Schachter stated that the non-bruising option is good for pple that go to work the following day and dont want any visible trauma shown. However, he also stated that as opposed to having it bruised, it takes more treatments to get the results u want if u are doing it in the "non-bruising" level.
My experience went well. It seemed that my skin reacted fine with it, there were a couple red marks but they have faded. I booked another session in apprx 6 weeks time and this time I will tell him that I would like to increase the level so I dont mind bruising if it will come to that. I booked a couple days off work just in case. That way, the fewer treatments I can get, the better. Hopefully, it will get rid of the redness
Offline simk420  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 12:37:47 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
I had my 2nd treatment just over a week ago. The laser setting was at a higher level this time so I did have some immediate bruising afterwards. Had to hibernate for a bit, but now they r gone. Still in the healing process but I am seeing some improvement with the redness. I have booked a follow-up in 6 weeks time.
Also, I just want to state that from my last laser treatment, the small red veins did come back. I spoke to the dr about tht, and he stated that it is a possibility tht those small veins could come back. Having said that, this 2nd treatment has removed those veins again. I will see if they come back or not though. I dont care much either way because you can barely see them, my main area of concern is the redness.
Offline Sarah W  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 5:16:50 PM(UTC)

Woman
Thats good to hear. Thanks for the update:)
Offline Hydroxyboy  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 1:12:16 PM(UTC)

And how did it go with the redness? Has that been diminished?
Offline simk420  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 7:02:09 PM(UTC)

Man
Canada
Originally Posted by: Sarah W Go to Quoted Post
Thats good to hear. Thanks for the update:)

Np :) Will keep posted.

Originally Posted by: Hydroxyboy Go to Quoted Post
And how did it go with the redness? Has that been diminished?

It's been just over a week so it's still a little too soon to say because post laser procedures states that it may take up to 4-6 weeks for the healing process. However, when looking at it, it's still a little hard to say because i can tell that it's still healing. It still kinda looks the same however, the texture appears to look more better though. Once completed with the sessions I will post the after pic to compare the before and after. So, we'll see if there will be any improvement :)