logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MissJ  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 3:51:05 PM(UTC)

Head of American Board of "Cosmetic" Surgery cuts off patient's nose.

I hope members of my board know the difference between a "Plastic Surgeon" or who can be called that from board certification in "Cosmetic" surgery. The salient difference is that much more extensive training is needed to be certified as a "Plastic Surgeon".

In this unfortunate case, the patient might not have been aware that a 'Cosmetic' surgeon is not held to the same high standards as is a board certified Plastic (or Facial Plastic) surgeon. Patient ended up getting many surgeries (rhinos) by the 'Cosmetic' surgeon which progressively were WAY OVER the expertise level of said Cosmetic surgeon (who repeatedly failed to refer the patient out to an experienced plastic surgeon for revision.). The unfortunate, tragic upshot of continued 'revisions' with this cosmetic surgeon resulted in the cosmetic surgeon literally CUTTING THE PATIENT'S NOSE off. He now has to wear a mask and breath though a short stubbed straw.

As you can imagine, the patient is DEVASTATED. He is now suing the doctor. Here is the patient's webpage:

http://www.myplasticsurgerynightmare.com/

Here are some media links to the unfortunate story:

http://www.nydailynews.c...se-job-article-1.1365938

http://gawker.com/top-pl...ire-nose-durin-511715088
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline pauluk  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 4:43:14 PM(UTC)

ugh. upsetting to look at. poor guy.
Offline Meeka  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 5:01:21 PM(UTC)

That is horrific...I can't imagine it can ever be repaired...very sad indeed.
Offline MissJ  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 5:08:15 PM(UTC)

It does look pretty difficult to repair. He would have to go to a known expert in reconstructive rhino for some improvement. I don't recall the patient mentioning which doctors he has consulted with for correction though.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Geijutsu  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 6:31:37 PM(UTC)

Man
This is mortifying and really upsetting to see, the poor poor guy, I still think that his problem is fixable in the hands of experienced surgeons, there's still hope.
UserPostedImage

Offline MissJ  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 6:41:28 PM(UTC)

I hope he finds his way to the right doctor.

Offline Geijutsu  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 6:51:51 PM(UTC)

Man
He should come to this forum, I'm sure there will be many people who'll help him.
UserPostedImage

Offline Sarah W  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 7:57:28 PM(UTC)

Woman
Shocking . I feel so sorry for him and yes I am sure he could get help here.
Offline MissJ  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 8:14:32 PM(UTC)

He's posting on MMH. I told him I mentioned his case on my site but did not leave the link.

Offline JLA  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:33:02 AM(UTC)

That's horrible but I can't understand why he went back to that butcher. Once a screw up..always a screw up in my book.

Another thing is that you have to check their board certification because allot of Cosmetic Doctors are advertising themselves as Plastic Surgeons. Like Miss J says getting qualified to be a Cosmetic Surgeon is nothing compared to that of a Plastic Surgeon.
Offline MetooPlease  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:56:37 AM(UTC)

When I spoke to two plastic surgeons lately they seemed to feel the same way about facial plastic surgeons. Basically if the ENT/Facial PS wasn't in this PS book not to even bother with a consult. What is the difference in education between all three, its confusing? Poor guy my heart goes out to him.

Also how do we know how much real life experience we have after residency? When looking at RateMD, Vitals etc they put years exp but does that include residency?

Edited by user Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:36:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MissJ  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:41:20 PM(UTC)

This guy lied and actually called himself a "plastic surgeon".
The problem is that ANY doctor (even a foot doctor) can claim he does 'plastic surgery'. But now there is a "Cosmetic Surgery" board where doctors who have some background in something that could 'relate' to doing aesthetic surgery (in this guy's case he was a DENTIST who had maybe a 1 year fellowship in max fax) can get certified by that board. BOTH board certified Plastic Surgeons and 'Facial Plastic' surgeons (ones with ENT background) don't recognize (or approve) of certification by "Cosmetic Surgery" board.

I'm not clear why he kept on going back either. My 'hunch' is that at one time, he may have been a friend of the docs. I say that because on the patient's website, he mentions the doc inviting him to his kid's birthday party (something like that) and other e mail from the doc that would seem to relate to some past friendship. There would have to be some kind of 'attachment' (which is why I think a past possible friendship) for him to keep going back.

Originally Posted by: JLA Go to Quoted Post
That's horrible but I can't understand why he went back to that butcher. Once a screw up..always a screw up in my book.

Another thing is that you have to check their board certification because allot of Cosmetic Doctors are advertising themselves as Plastic Surgeons. Like Miss J says getting qualified to be a Cosmetic Surgeon is nothing compared to that of a Plastic Surgeon.

Offline MissJ  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:45:59 PM(UTC)

Well, years back there was on going conflict with Plastic Surgeons resenting the ENT docs calling themselves 'Plastic Surgeons'. The ent docs contended they had a history (in WW1) repairing war torn faces. Hence, they kept pushing to be able to call themselves Plastic Surgeons. Finally, they came up with a board to certify them as 'Facial Plastics'. I think the 'struggle' with this was from around 1930's or so to maybe 1960's--some time range in that general span.

Originally Posted by: MetooPlease Go to Quoted Post
When I spoke to two plastic surgeons lately they seemed to feel the same way about facial plastic surgeons. Basically if the ENT/Facial PS wasn't in this PS book not to even bother with a consult. What is the difference in education between all three, its confusing? Poor guy my heart goes out to him.

Also how do we know how much real life experience we have after residency? When looking at RateMD, Vitals etc they put years exp but does that include residency?

Offline RR  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:57:44 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
It does look pretty difficult to repair. He would have to go to a known expert in reconstructive rhino for some improvement. I don't recall the patient mentioning which doctors he has consulted with for correction though.

MissJ,

I think he definitely has to see Burget in Chicago. He wrote the bible on nasal reconstruction (co-written with Menick). Burget is meant to be the best at this type of surgery. You probably remember he helped that guy who developed necrosis after a revision with G-unter.

I really hope this guy gets the best help he can at this stage.

Offline Vivre  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:04:35 AM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: RR Go to Quoted Post
MissJ,

I think he definitely has to see Burget in Chicago. He wrote the bible on nasal reconstruction (co-written with Menick). Burget is meant to be the best at this type of surgery. You probably remember he helped that guy who developed necrosis after a revision with G-unter.

I really hope this guy gets the best help he can at this stage.

I remember that guy and his blog. Also a tough case. Could he get eventually a decent nose?
could be a message of hope for this guy!

Edited by user Sunday, November 24, 2013 12:45:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified