logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline violeta  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:55:53 AM(UTC)

Can anyone recommend a water filter that removes arsenic? I realize probably none will remove it as effectively as Reverse Osmosis filters, but those can be difficult to maintain (membrane can build up bacteria)or stop filtering as effectively, and waste alot of water.
I currently have an Aquasana under counter filter, but it does not remove arsenic. Most do not. I know arsenic is regulated in most cities, but it's never zero and long term chronic exposure is linked to lung, bladder cancer, etc. Since I drink a ton of water, mostly water, I want to drink the least arsenic. These filters say they remove it. Has anyone tried them?
Crystal Quest and Pure Earth

http://water.epa.gov/law...s/sdwa/arsenic/index.cfm
Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:35:58 PM(UTC)

Can't recommend one but here's the first one that came up after I Googled it. http://crystalquest.com/...nic%20water%20filter.htm
Offline NancyS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:43:07 PM(UTC)

violeta wrote:
Can anyone recommend a water filter that removes arsenic? I realize probably none will remove it as effectively as Reverse Osmosis filters, but those can be difficult to maintain (membrane can build up bacteria)or stop filtering as effectively, and waste alot of water.
I currently have an Aquasana under counter filter, but it does not remove arsenic. Most do not. I know arsenic is regulated in most cities, but it's never zero and long term chronic exposure is linked to lung, bladder cancer, etc. Since I drink a ton of water, mostly water, I want to drink the least arsenic. These filters say they remove it. Has anyone tried them?
Crystal Quest and Pure Earth

http://water.epa.gov/law...s/sdwa/arsenic/index.cfm

Where do you live, you mainly have to worry about Arsenic if you live in the Southwest. I didn't think anything other than reverse-osmosis took arsenic out....
UserPostedImage
Offline violeta  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:03:45 PM(UTC)

MissJ wrote:
Can't recommend one but here's the first one that came up after I Googled it. http://crystalquest.com/...nic%20water%20filter.htm

Yeah, I saw that one. I don't know if they are good. I'll try to look for more info.
Offline violeta  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:11:05 PM(UTC)

NancyS wrote:

Where do you live, you mainly have to worry about Arsenic if you live in the Southwest. I didn't think anything other than reverse-osmosis took arsenic out....

I thought all water had some arsenic, some places more than others. I'm in NYC, the water is treated for bacteria and other stuff, but don't think they take out arsenic. There are regulations in all cities that limit the amount of arsenic allowable. It's natural in the soil, but having it in the body can have cumulative effects, such as bladder, lung cancer, etc. I am currently using a carbon based filter, since it removes alot of the chlorine, lead, and other chemicals, and makes the water tastes better. But I read somewhere that maybe some filters can actually make the tiny amount of arsenic build up. I am not sure how it works really. I know reverse-osmosis is the best, but those filters waste alot of water and can be difficult to maintain. I used to buy reverse-osmosis bottled water, but I think water from plastic bottles is not a great idea, long term. I think the next best thing to reverse-osmosis is filters like the ones from Crystal Quest, specialized to remove arsenic, at least some of it,, vs. none from all other filters (except reverse osmosis).I drink a lot of water, and mostly only water, so I just want to make sure I eliminate as much harmful stuff as I can.