logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline violeta  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:35:19 PM(UTC)

I know most sunglasses have labels that say UVA/UVB 100% or UVA 400, but I wonder how much UVA is actually blocked? I think mostly it's UVB that is blocked. I want to block as much UVA from my eyelid skin, since I know this skin is thin, and the first to age and wrinkle. I do use sunscreen for years, with high PPD (Anthelios or Avene) but I don't always apply enough around the eyes since it tends to irritate my eyes and in summer it can smear off easily. I reapply when I can, but not always easy to remove eye makeup and reapply sunscreen around eyes. I try to wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside, even during cloudy day. Maybe people would think it's crazy, but I'm not the only one who does this. I think it's also helped me to prevent squinting so much. In winter, when the sun's out, it seems brighter anyway, even if not hot outside.

Anyone know any brand of sunglasses that are exceptionally good at blocking UVA? I think the sports brand pro sunglasses are the best, but I don't know which are proven to actually block a high level of UVA. I know that all UVA or most can't be blocked, since the glasses may be too dark to see through.

Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:08:03 PM(UTC)

What about RAYBANS which are polarized.
Offline violeta  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:01:58 PM(UTC)

MissJ wrote:
What about RAYBANS which are polarized.[/quote}]

Thanks Miss J. But I read here on Mayoclinic that polarized lenses don't block UV light, so I guess neither UVA/UVB. Unless it's treated with a coating. So if it says 100% UVA/UVB, it's supposed to mean it blocks both rays. But I know that with sunscreens, when it says broad spectrum, it's mostly referring to UVB coverage. Unless it's a European formula that uses the PPD factor.
So I guess we can't know for sure how much UVA is protected. I would hope that the good brands (not designer) but the ones intended for outdoor sports, such as Raybans, etc. block at least 50% UVA. I will continue to try and be religious with the sunscreen around the eyes as much as I can too. I see so many women with nice smooth skin, but crinkles under eyes, and loose upper eyelid skin..and I think the main cause is constant daily UVA exposure over years. Sure aging, does that, but I think if we were to block as much UVA as possible, we wouldn't have as much aging around the eyes.

http://www.mayoclinic.co...th/uv-protection/AN00832
Offline MissJ  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:33:20 PM(UTC)

Some of the sun blocks irritate the eyes though. I know mine does.