logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bugjune  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:33:47 AM(UTC)

Woman
Well, I am chagrined to say that my hair coloring of a couple days ago LOOKS great, but I feel chumped, nevertheless. And I plan to share my concerns with my new stylist, as I'm guessing she may be in the dark about L'Oreal's relatively new hair coloring line, INOA.

If you Google INOA, you'll see that it is *supposedly* a NO AMMONIA based hair coloring line that uses oil-based infusion to color the hair strands (vs ammonia or hydrogen peroxide, which MANY folks are allergic/sensitive to). Well, golly, then how come one of the KEY ingredients listed on the back of the bottle is, um, how shall I put this, "ammonium hydroxide" - which is basically ammonia in water? (Read for y'self at: http://www.organiccolors...or-inaccurate-no-ammonia)

The good news: I have fabulous, total coverage in a very natural-looking shade of medium brown with a bit of gold. I'm HAPPY! Oh, and there was absolutely no itching or burning on my scalp when it was applied, left on for 45 min, and even massaged INTO my scalp for good measure. By contrast, the Wella line my previous stylist used on my head itched like the dickens, burned like a slow torture, and drove me NUTS. Since she is a small shop, there will be no L'Oreal INOA for her to use.

My new stylist told me that one needs special certification by L'Oreal to use the INOA color line. Additional research on the web shows that L'Oreal is going to make a shift from current coloring to the INOA line over time. So I guess that means lots MORE revenue for them in the form of certification fees? Ack. Whatever.

I just wanted to share this with you so you go into the salon with both eyes open. Know that even tho L'Oreal touts the INOA hair color line as NO AMMONIA, in a kind of Alice-in-Wonderland, Mad Hatter's Tea Party logic, it actually has .... AMMONIA.

I wish I could tell everyone I'm a gorgeous blond with double-Ds and fabulous legs .. but, um, I'm NOT. And I have a problem with BALD LIES.
I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:36:53 AM(UTC)

Well, Ammonia is NH3 and Ammonium hydroxide is NH4OH3. So when they say no "ammonia", they are referring to NH3 (liquid in bottle used for cleaning also). NH4OH3 is basically LYE. Both are different chem compounds. So, that's how they get away with saying; "No ammonia". Now, they formulate it so the NH4OH3 reacts with something else so you get NH3 ("ammonia") to get released and to react with the H202 (hydrogen peroxide).

Similar marketing tactic is used by companies marketing hair straighteners for ethnic market. They say: "No LYE". However, they are just using word "lye" to mean a specific lye compound; SODIUM HYDROXIDE. Instead they use CALCIUM HYDROXIDE. However Calcium hydroxide IS a LYE compound. Hence when they say; "No LYE" that is a LIE. LOL

Offline kk25  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:40:11 AM(UTC)

there has been the no Ammonia professional hair color lines for a while, one of them is Farouk systems
Chi line, i have used this on my self and it doesnt burn scalp, color is nice for brunettes, very rich.
frk chi

there is one trick that one of my coworkers uses on people with sensitive scalp,she puts a little bit of 7up in color formula.

Offline kk25  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:46:16 AM(UTC)

MissJ wrote:
Well, Ammonia is NH3 and Ammonium hydroxide is NH4OH3. So when they say no "ammonia", they are referring to NH3 (liquid in bottle used for cleaning also). NH4OH3 is basically LYE. Both are different chem compounds. So, that's how they get away with saying; "No ammonia". Now, they formulate it so the NH4OH3 reacts with something else so you get NH3 ("ammonia") to get released and to react with the H202 (hydrogen peroxide).

Similar marketing tactic is used by companies marketing hair straighteners for ethnic market. They say: "No LYE". However, they are just using word "lye" to mean a specific lye compound; SODIUM HYDROXIDE. Instead they use CALCIUM HYDROXIDE. However Calcium hydroxide IS a LYE compound. Hence when they say; "No LYE" that is a LIE. LOL

MissJ is correct, for example Chi color uses something called as part of active ingredient Monoethanolamine ( made from ethylene oxide with some type of ammonia)
Offline Larazelle  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:22:42 AM(UTC)

Have you guys tried REVLON - COLORSILK - NO AMMONIA hair dye - I used it before my Beautiful Browns -
Offline skyee  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:46:35 PM(UTC)

I just started using Revlon-Colorsilk after reading a lot of great reviews and it is wonderful! I couldn't believe how beautiful the color came out, better than the salon treatments I got previously.

When I asked the hairdresser, who is certified to use IONA, she said if you have thinner hair it's not a good product. She didn't use it on herself because of that. It supposedly has great color but it can leave your hair flat due to it being oil based. I decided against it too.
Offline Bugjune  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:07:57 PM(UTC)

Woman
So! Those sneaky scientists are moving the molecules around on me! Maybe ammonium hydroxide is kinder and gentler on my scalp, cuz I felt absolutely nothing when it was slathered on. YAY!

I guess it's like "poetic license" in the laboratory. Similar to the controversy around formaldehyde in the hair straightening products.

====================================
MissJ wrote:

I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline MissJ  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:42:35 PM(UTC)

Well, ya. If you mix ammonium hydroxide with something else, you can release the ammonia in the ammonium hydroxide. Easier to just add the plain ammonia to it but they do that 'trick' when they want to say; "no ammonia" LOL.

Bugjune wrote:
So! Those sneaky scientists are moving the molecules around on me! Maybe ammonium hydroxide is kinder and gentler on my scalp, cuz I felt absolutely nothing when it was slathered on. YAY!

I guess it's like "poetic license" in the laboratory. Similar to the controversy around formaldehyde in the hair straightening products.

====================================
Offline Bugjune  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2011 12:34:28 PM(UTC)

Woman
I wanted to add an update to this ... as I've now had my hair colored with L'Oreal's INOA oil-infusion hair color 3 times over the past few months.

Bummed to say ... it doesn't seem to be working that well after all! I guess my nearly silver roots weren't long enough the first time I had it dyed with INOA. So overall, my hair looked very shiny, nice and brown, NO ITCH! I was happy.

But now that it's been a few months, and my hair has grown out about 1.5 inches, I'm seeing a weird striped effect! It seems that the new roots coming out are just not holding on to the color that long. And with each application, my hair has grown another fraction of an inch ... so now I have THREE quite noticeable bands of hair color right up at my part line.

At the same time, my overall hair color has faded from a rich, golden brown to a kind of faded yellow-brown. ACK!

I return to my stylist next Tuesday, and will ask about trying an entirely different hair coloring line. I had such high hopes for INOA. And the good news is that it caused ZERO irritation to my scalp in the application. My stylist mentioned before that once I start using oil infusion for hair color it could be tricky to switch to the old-fashioned ammonia or peroxide-based colors.

But my hair is seriously looking mottled on top of my head. I believe they call dogs "brindle colored" when they have this kind of mottled hair color. I love that look ... on a DOG. Will keep y'all posted on my options, which I hope do not include "buzz cut". >:- x
I bug you.

UserPostedImage
Offline kosmeds  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2011 3:41:51 PM(UTC)

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

They made it gentler, but it also has lost efficacy, apparently.

Good to know.

I'll be sticking with the cheap stuff.
Offline Anato  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 7:26:02 AM(UTC)

I'm not surprised with hair products since the same thing is done all the time with food. They tell you they removed something only to discover it's still there in another form unknown to us. It's hard to shop these days with all the lying they are allowed to do. The FDA is supposed to be looking out for us, but aren't.
Offline DCNGA  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 9:44:14 AM(UTC)

Woman
The FDA is a GIANT joke.
Offline mich  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:39:12 AM(UTC)

God I wish they would come out with a new type of color that didnt burn scalp!! Or better yet how to keep hair from graying!
Offline kosmeds  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:14:18 PM(UTC)

Hennalucent? I used to use that in high school, from Sally's. I used all of the red, burgundy, brown, and black shades and they were all nice. Fading was gradual and they do not irritate or fry the hair. But hennalucent will not lighten hair.
Offline Bugjune  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:35:04 PM(UTC)

Woman
I had my hair dyed with L'Oreal INOA again today! But my stylist could clearly see that line of demarcation near my part. She said part of the problem was that she hadn't been "pulling the color through" alllllll the way to my ends each time.

In addition, she said that she'd been conservative with the formulation, cuz I'd told her how much I loathe that reddish cast and line of demarcation that often accompanies a permanent hair dye.

So, she changed the formula for my root area to make that darker, and kept the rest of it like before to pull it through to the ends. She said that she can continue to strengthen the formula to achieve a look I'd like. Um, which would be one without Pepe LePew's stripe right down the center.

Ah well. I'm sticking with the INOA for now. It's still the only hair color I've used that doesn't make my scalp go Snap! Crackle! and Pop!

i guess I also have to face the reality that with a semi- or demi-permanent hair color, it's going to fade. Probably faster than I'd like to see happen.

The fact that the lighting in that salon made me notice a bit of turkey waddle on the neck AND some N/L lines needed Juvey is a whole 'nuther matter for me to scowl about. Is it just me, or d'ya ever notice how salons and Victoria's Secret dressing rooms have the most sinister lighting?
I bug you.

UserPostedImage