logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mark  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:47:49 PM(UTC)

Ok so Chris_K,

You said you were equally into your body as your face and you knew alot about fitness so let me be the first to post a topic here. I am saving (yes in this economy I have to SAVE for once!) to have liposuction. I have some flab around my midsection not just lovehandles, its like a belt of fat al the way around, it is really embarassing and I hate to take my shirt off in public - turned down alot of pool party invites this summer thus far!

Question is this, I am skinny everywhere else but those areas, I have tried to bulk up in the past because I like looking that way best but even though I work out and eat high protien I STILL am thinner everywhere else BUT my stomache. I believe the fat I have is very localized and liposuction is my only option to look proportionate, what do you think? Would a low carb diet be best? low fat - but still high calorie? Would the money be better spent on a personal trainer? This is very important to me and it will take until November to save for me to do this so I want to get it right. Have you ever had lipo? experiences? Thanks Chris_K, and anyone else who responds!

Mark
P.S. some Plastic Surgeons think the fat is so localized it needs to be removed THEN exercize to gain mass elsewhere, and 1 or 2 think I can still do it with diet and exercize BUT I will have to work MUCH harder to lose it.

Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline NancyS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:10:28 AM(UTC)

I think it would be by far easiest to go with the lipo. It may be possible to get rid of it through exercise, but probably would be incredibly difficult when you're talking about fat that is hereditarily preprogrammed, and that becomes even more difficult to exercise away as we get older. Might even be impossible. If you look at the female stars, most have had lipo. to difficult areas even if in great physical shape.
UserPostedImage
Offline BlackCanary  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:49:58 AM(UTC)

Well there's that and you could end up like Tara Reid with a bumpy midsection. I don't think lipo is easy at all. Its painful and you have to wear that binding thing for months (or month whatever). Lipo is one thing I'd never do.
UserPostedImage
Offline NancyS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:30:07 AM(UTC)

Well I didn't mean to imply that the surgery is "easy." But I do think lipo. is more likely to get rid of the type of fat that is hereditary than exercise would. I think it can be risky. I think Tara Reid's outcome was probably made worse because the doc. was trying to do the "ab etching" (that's how she described it). I've seen many, many before and after photos of lipo on love handles/spare tires that looked very good. Hopefully before Mark would undertake this he would seek out the best surgeons (like he usually does).
UserPostedImage
Offline Chris K  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:30:35 AM(UTC)

Woman
Mark

what's your body fat percentage? if you are over 11%, I'd say try to manipulate with more diet and exercise. I hover around 10% and I'm cut, my flanks don't get completetly cut 'til I'm 8%, but that's too thin for my face and stringent for my lifestyle.

I'm not a fan of low carbs for men because we need to energy to bulk up and for weight training. I'm a fan of healthy carbs - slow burining carbs. not refined carbs thatspike blood sugar which also increases appetite. if you cut carbs, make sure you aren't producing too many ketones, that means you are going into a fast/starvation mode. this is a sure way to slow your metabolism in the long run. atkins debated ketone theories but i have much personal experience with his theories and think he's right about some things and way off about others. rip, poor man, slipped, fell and cracked his head. he would have been thinking straight if he had some toast with his breakfast. that's why "yo-yo dieters" gain weight easily. you can buy those urine "dip sticks" at the drugstore to make sure you aren't producing ketones when manipulating diet.

if you are around 10% and still have flab around the abs, consider lipo. you are eating small protein rich meals (including breakfast-most important meal) working out at least 4x a week and getting rest, right. If you are doing lots of weight training and not eating enough protein, your body will take protein from other sources such as blood, organs, muscle. this is ANOTHER way to increase aging. there's debate about how much protein a man needs to maintain his current lean body mass. I always believe a little extra is better. i worked hard for my muscle and don't want to lose it.

ppl get so caught up with the scale...as in weight fluctuation but pay no mind to body fat percentage and what the mirror says. i know plenty of ppl who lost weight but have the same amount of body fat - VERY BAD- because this means your body has lost mass from muscle and other things you need. I started off thin, weak, and scrawny and with the help of many trainers, dietitians, books and other fitness experts, i turned my body into something I enjoy looking at.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:35:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mark  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:57:43 PM(UTC)

I honestly do not know my body fat percentage but it is definatley all around my waist! I will try to find that out. I also am starting to see hints of my dads body - soft and loose in the stomache and then skinny everywhere else! I think lipo is going to be the ultimate answer since it is in fact hereditary fat, but I need something that tightens the skin at the same time too like Vaser or Smartlipo. I hear they do both those surgeries while the patient is awake which is supposed to be much safer but it still scares me to death - ahhhhh the things we do to be beautiful!!!

Mark

Chris K wrote:
Mark

what's your body fat percentage? if you are over 11%, I'd say try to manipulate with more diet and exercise. I hover around 10% and I'm cut, my flanks don't get completetly cut 'til I'm 8%, but that's too thin for my face and stringent for my lifestyle.

I'm not a fan of low carbs for men because we need to energy to bulk up and for weight training. I'm a fan of healthy carbs - slow burining carbs. not refined carbs thatspike blood sugar which also increases appetite. if you cut carbs, make sure you aren't producing too many ketones, that means you are going into a fast/starvation mode. this is a sure way to slow your metabolism in the long run. atkins debated ketone theories but i have much personal experience with his theories and think he's right about some things and way off about others. rip, poor man, slipped, fell and cracked his head. he would have been thinking straight if he had some toast with his breakfast. that's why "yo-yo dieters" gain weight easily. you can buy those urine "dip sticks" at the drugstore to make sure you aren't producing ketones when manipulating diet.

if you are around 10% and still have flab around the abs, consider lipo. you are eating small protein rich meals (including breakfast-most important meal) working out at least 4x a week and getting rest, right. If you are doing lots of weight training and not eating enough protein, your body will take protein from other sources such as blood, organs, muscle. this is ANOTHER way to increase aging. there's debate about how much protein a man needs to maintain his current lean body mass. I always believe a little extra is better. i worked hard for my muscle and don't want to lose it.

ppl get so caught up with the scale...as in weight fluctuation but pay no mind to body fat percentage and what the mirror says. i know plenty of ppl who lost weight but have the same amount of body fat - VERY BAD- because this means your body has lost mass from muscle and other things you need. I started off thin, weak, and scrawny and with the help of many trainers, dietitians, books and other fitness experts, i turned my body into something I enjoy looking at.
Offline Chris K  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:43:46 AM(UTC)

Woman
...most gyms offer body fat testing free of charge. this is a good place to start before ANYONE should consider lipo.
Offline CassVersion2.0  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:31:36 AM(UTC)

Long story short...weight training and running sprints will suck the fat off your body far better than lipo. Cheaper and better results than lipo too, which can leave scar tissue and strange indentations where you don't want them. I've heard that after lipo, if you gain weight, the fat can come back in odd places. Sprinters have awesome bodies - lean AND muscular.

You are not destined to look like your parents, unless you also follow their diet and lifestyle. Starting at age 37 my motto became "Eat like an athlete...train like an athlete...look like an athlete. It's still holding true at age 44. (The "eat like a model...look like a model" sadly didn't work too well for me ;-))
Offline Shoney  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:22:29 AM(UTC)

Mark, I would suggest you try lowering your carbs and doing more cardio. My girlfriend is training somehow online with Kristal Richardson. Google her and maybe somehow you can ask her. My sister had lipo on her stomach and it left her with bumps. I would at least try the diet and exercise way first before opting for surgery. My girlfriend was complaining about her stomach and back fat and you should see her now. Diet and exercise and a commitment to do it for life.

Shoney
Offline MissJ  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:48:44 PM(UTC)

I wonder how long it will take for this guy to lose his weight--

UserPostedImage
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Chris K  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 10:35:13 AM(UTC)

Woman
I saw a special on TLC about that guy and others like him. The funny part is they always deny how many calories they consume. It must make him feel good that his "aide" gives enough of a crap to put on makeup when caring for him. He really went all out for her and got her a nice lawn chair to sit on.
Offline MissJ  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 11:26:24 AM(UTC)

I wonder why they deny how many calories they consume. I guess they are not counting calories. LOL
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline fixit  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 11:33:22 AM(UTC)

MissJ

I think this patient my benefit from some stratigically placed PRIMACORD

Offline Carleyp  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:23:56 PM(UTC)

Woman
Lipo scares me too Mark!!!

While you’re saving for possible lipo in Nov try intensifying your cardio and monitoring your progress by writing daily wt, abdominal circumference measurement and body fat on a wall calendar. I use the Tanita Body Fat monitor scale.($79.00 at BB&Beyond)

I’m no expert but this worked to bring down my body fat very quickly...

Love lifting -- hate cardio...and can’t spend hrs at the gym...So I do intensified cardio and incorporate a small amount of heavy lifting into my strength training.

You can cut your cardio time with wind sprints. This isn’t the run then stop or run then walk sprints football players used to do. Wind sprints are when you go all out for a minute then back to normal aerobic pace. Forcing your body to recover under stress this way dramatically increases your fat burning enzymes while decreasing the total amount of cardio time you need to put in.

I never do more than 15, 20 min MAX of cardio. If I’m on a stepper or treadmill I move at an aerobic rate, about a level 4 on the treadmill. BUT during the 15 min workout I’ll add 4 or 5 sprints. (Running all out for up to a minute or until I’m out of breath.) Then I dial the intensity down to my regular aerobic rate of 4 and proceed to recover (catch my breath) while I’m still moving.

Like you I’m skinny and I’m tall so I’ll never be overly muscle bound. But IMO lifting is the best thing to keep a body young looking.

When lifting one of my trainers told me to do 2 or 3 reps of maximum wt at the end of my final set. He said this works because it tears up muscle tissue, and as it repairs and enlarges, fat stores are metabolized. Big time.

He also put me on several fat burning/sugar stabilizing supplements...like CLA, chromium picolinate and green tea extract. The trainer said doing these things will increase fat metabolism.

Soon your muscles will tell your abdominal roll to “release the grease!!!!!!”

Good luck.

~~~Carley

Edited by user Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:55:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Carleyp  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:42:53 PM(UTC)

Woman
thought of a better tip mark...u mentioned ur southern roots? and in ur pic u looked like u may have som latino blood?

if so u were probably dancing before u could walk.

dancing is the best cardio.

here's video we took of our belly dance instructor. this is perfection

http://www.youtube.com/w...NF2g&feature=related