logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dao  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:22:36 AM(UTC)

About 10 days ago I used TCA 21% for 3 sun spots on my face. One was small and under my eye. I ended up putting it on about a 1 cm area and it became very red and peeled pretty deeply 3 days later. It has completely removed my fine under eye lines in that one little spot. Anyone else done this? There is about 3-4 days down time and you need some good concealer to cover the red after that. I'm tempted to do more, because it's such a difficult area to treat lines.
Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline Dee  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:49:21 AM(UTC)

Woman
I did a full face TCA peel last year just to brighten up my skin. Wasn't really a strong peel (18% x 3 layers) and peeled lightly after a few days. For me the results were subtle. Maybe the percentage was too low, but if a 21% solution can eradicate under eye lines that would be great.
UserPostedImage
Offline dao  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:41:01 AM(UTC)

Dee, What I noticed is that if you put it under the eye, it frosts and burns more than the rest of the face. It's still pink there after 10 days, but smooth and otherwise healed. I had the 18% a couple years ago and it didn't do the same thing as the 21%. Also yesterday, because I was worried about the down time, I mixed some of the 21% with water and it did nothing at all to the skin under my eye, not even make it dry. With the pure 21%, I couldn't layer it, because I could feel it burn so much, I wouldn't put more on. Skin in different areas responds differently, probably due to the thickness of skin. Like when I tried my shoulder, I didn't feel a thing. Well, when I have a few days where I don't have to go out much I'll try the whole under eye area. Maybe someone else can tell us their experience with it under the eyes.
Offline Sarah W  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:30:19 AM(UTC)

Woman
dao wrote:
About 10 days ago I used TCA 21% for 3 sun spots on my face. One was small and under my eye. I ended up putting it on about a 1 cm area and it became very red and peeled pretty deeply 3 days later. It has completely removed my fine under eye lines in that one little spot. Anyone else done this? There is about 3-4 days down time and you need some good concealer to cover the red after that. I'm tempted to do more, because it's such a difficult area to treat lines.

Do you think there is some subtle swelling still? I would be ecstatic to remove my under eye wrinkles so easily! What about depigmentation of that area or is it too early to tell?
Offline Dee  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:45:48 AM(UTC)

Woman
Thanks so much for sharing Dao : )

I think I'm going to get the 21% and try it under the eyes.

By the way do you use a q-tip, pad or brush?
UserPostedImage
Offline dao  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:02:17 PM(UTC)

Sarah W wrote:
dao wrote:

Do you think there is some subtle swelling still? I would be ecstatic to remove my under eye wrinkles so easily! What about depigmentation of that area or is it too early to tell?

The area is pink. I have fair skin and I wear sunscreen every day, so I wouldn't notice loss of pigment much, I'm guessing. I didn't consider swelling. It's nothing I can notice. I mean it doesn't look swollen compared to the untreated skin. When I squint my eyes the lines don't form in the peeled area at all, but they do appear on all 4 sides of the pink spot.
Offline dao  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:05:02 PM(UTC)

Dee wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing Dao : )

I think I'm going to get the 21% and try it under the eyes.

By the way do you use a q-tip, pad or brush?

I used a q tip. It really does hurt putting it on under the eye...be careful. It tends to cover a larger area than where I intend to put it. Maybe just do a little dot, then wait a week to see how that works out.
Offline Sarah W  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:30:49 PM(UTC)

Woman
Thanks dao. I will wait and see how Dee goes first. I am a bit chicken! I do have fair skin too which is a plus.
Offline DCNGA  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:38:17 PM(UTC)

Woman
Be sure you "degrease" the area with acetone. Yes, acetone. You will inhibit penetration (will penetrate unevenly) of the TCA if all oil is not totally removed from the area before you put on the TCA.

Also, if you go to a derm for professional(35%) strength, you will see a marked reduction in under eye fine lines. Caution: Do not try that strength at home. Best advice is don't go any higher than 15-20% at home as it can get dicey after that. If you choose to do higher, RESEARCH a lot and think about it. You should likely prepare your skin for 4-6 weeks with RetinA/Taz and/or hydroquinone to decrease chance of hyperpigmentation.

Just sayin'....

Offline Sarah W  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:45:44 PM(UTC)

Woman
Mmm, I think if I do it, I might just go to a professional. It sounds a bit thorny to me to try the 'at home' treatment. It is not worth the worry that I may make a mistake. My skin is very thin there.
Offline dao  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:11:38 PM(UTC)

DCNGA wrote:
Be sure you "degrease" the area with acetone. Yes, acetone. You will inhibit penetration (will penetrate unevenly) of the TCA if all oil is not totally removed from the area before you put on the TCA.

Also, if you go to a derm for professional(35%) strength, you will see a marked reduction in under eye fine lines. Caution: Do not try that strength at home. Best advice is don't go any higher than 15-20% at home as it can get dicey after that. If you choose to do higher, RESEARCH a lot and think about it. You should likely prepare your skin for 4-6 weeks with RetinA/Taz and/or hydroquinone to decrease chance of hyperpigmentation.

Just sayin'....

Thanks DCNGA. I can't imagine doing 35%. I got a good peel from just 21%. I think I'm in the clear to do more, given that the part that I already did is fine, but I'll wait a week. There was darkening before it peeled for a couple days, then the darkness peeled off. Did you have this professionally done? What was the down time?
Offline Dee  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:48:36 PM(UTC)

Woman
dao wrote:

I used a q tip. It really does hurt putting it on under the eye...be careful. It tends to cover a larger area than where I intend to put it. Maybe just do a little dot, then wait a week to see how that works out.

Thanks Dao, I will take your advice.

UserPostedImage
Offline DCNGA  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 1:50:44 PM(UTC)

Woman
Wait a minimum of six weeks between peels. Your skin "turnover" is four to six weeks. You sincerely, don't want to peel "tender" skin. If it were me, I would wait a minimum of two months between TCA's greater than 12-15%.

Yes, I've had a professional facial peel-35%. It was harrowing for the first four or five days, but the outcome was worth it. It was many years ago. I had planned another last Xmas but came down with the flu and could not do it. I'm planning to try again this Xmas if I can work out the scheduling with my derm. He only works three days a week, so it can be difficult to work his schedule around mine, and be able to go back to work without looking scary.

I did have him do my arms and hands in February and they turned out fine. He said it would probably take another round to get rid of all the sun spots--I think he was quite right. I'll have my face, chest, arms, hands, and neck done if Xmas if I can work it out.

Offline dao  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:48:15 AM(UTC)

DCNGA wrote:
Wait a minimum of six weeks between peels. Your skin "turnover" is four to six weeks. You sincerely, don't want to peel "tender" skin. If it were me, I would wait a minimum of two months between TCA's greater than 12-15%.

Yes, I've had a professional facial peel-35%. It was harrowing for the first four or five days, but the outcome was worth it. It was many years ago. I had planned another last Xmas but came down with the flu and could not do it. I'm planning to try again this Xmas if I can work out the scheduling with my derm. He only works three days a week, so it can be difficult to work his schedule around mine, and be able to go back to work without looking scary.

I did have him do my arms and hands in February and they turned out fine. He said it would probably take another round to get rid of all the sun spots--I think he was quite right. I'll have my face, chest, arms, hands, and neck done if Xmas if I can work it out.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about SarahW's question about swelling possibly masking the wrinkles. Did you find this to be true at all? Did you have swelling after a week or two?
Offline DCNGA  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:59:23 AM(UTC)

Woman
dao, it's been so many years ago since I had my facial peel that I don't honestly remember. But, I also had a much stronger peel (35%) than others are doing at home. I would hazard a guess that at the 14 day mark on lower strength peels, probably 90% of swelling would be gone or minimal.

I did SWELL awful for the first three days--I looked like a Cabbage Patch Doll, tiny eyes and only the tip of my nose showed (LOL). But, I don't recall any swelling lasting much after the peeling stopped, around 10 days. But, I was not looking for swelling and my peel was for acne scars. I had little to no lines back then, under my eyes.

Nothing is impossible though and we are all different. Dr. Brody told me that he could have effected just as good of a reduction in lower lid lines with a TCA as I had with a terribly invasive lower lid Erbium resurfacing two and a half years ago. I wish I had not been hasty and had gone to him for a peel instead of agreeing to the laser when I had PS. I regret it deeply.

HTH