logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sophia  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 12:55:11 AM(UTC)

Does anybody have any experience with one of the two treatments for meibomian gland dysfunction - sicca?
Lipiflow is a relaively new procedure. Not too many clinics are offering it. It seems to be effective in some cases. But I have not met anybody who actually has done it.

Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Annaport  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:46:37 PM(UTC)

I DO! I happen to be seeing one of the few doctors who is treating MGD with an alternative treatment using IPL. The Lipiflow really does not work. Where do you live? Maybe there is a doctor there that is doing this tx along with the red and blue lights etc? I am part of an FDA trial.

I have tried to help someone else on this forum who had issues in NOLA but alas there was only a doctor in Florida doing this treatment.

Here is a link to research about this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC5488788/
Offline Sophia  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 4:20:52 AM(UTC)

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I am in China, but travel to Germany. There is a couple of doctors who do both and discuss beforehand what they would recommend. But both is costly. The lipiflow more than 1000 Euros a pop. People say one needs more than one sitting.

I wrote here because I think the red and tired looking eyes really do have an effect on how people percieve my appearance. And the constant watery eyes are tiring too.

Lucky you that you got part of a FDA trial.
Is it something like the E-eye?

I am wondering if the codition got worse after I used Latisse for a while.

Originally Posted by: Annaport Go to Quoted Post
I DO! I happen to be seeing one of the few doctors who is treating MGD with an alternative treatment using IPL. The Lipiflow really does not work. Where do you live? Maybe there is a doctor there that is doing this tx along with the red and blue lights etc? I am part of an FDA trial.

I have tried to help someone else on this forum who had issues in NOLA but alas there was only a doctor in Florida doing this treatment.

Here is a link to research about this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC5488788/

Offline Annaport  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 7:36:48 AM(UTC)

Sophie

The technology is being developed in Europe (Italy) so surely you can find someone there to do a treatment. I recommended a friend who was complaining of dry eyes go see my doc and sure enough it was MGD. Not all dry eyes are caused by this issue. He had only one treatment and his issues resolved. My case is severe so I have had to have several txs. I also am using the LED portion regularly. There will be a home unit that is available soon for the LED tx. I will buy that to use. Also are you keeping your lids clean? Those with ocular rosacea can have an over abundance of demodex mites which can worsen things. I use a prescription lid wash that helps that as well. Avenova. Do you use drops? I use Xidra drops. Also if you are on the computer take breaks. You don't blink as often when you stare at a computer and that can increase the problem. My problem became noticeable when I went to grad school and was on the computer all the time. I don't know about the latisse but I do know I asked my doctor and he did not care if I used products like that however you know I suppose anything could be an irritant.

Edited by user Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:13:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Annaport  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 7:38:53 AM(UTC)

Sophie

The technology is being developed in Europe (Italy) so surely you can find someone there to do a treatment. I recommended a friend who was complaining of dry eyes go see my doc and sure enough it was MGD. Not all dry eyes are caused by this issue. He had only one treatment and his issues resolved. My case is severe so I have had to have several txs. I also am using the LED portion regularly. There will be a home unit that is available soon for the LED tx. I will buy that to use. Also are you keeping your lids clean? Those with ocular rosacea can have an over abundance of demodex mites which can worsen things. I use a prescription lid wash that helps that as well. Avenova. Do you use drops? I use Xidra drops. Also if you are on the computer take breaks. You don't blink as often when you stare at a computer and that can increase the problem. My problem became noticeable when I went to grad school and was on the computer all the time. I don't know about the latisse but I do know I asked my doctor and he did not care if I used products like that however you I suppose anything could be an irritant.

PS: yes I think the E-eye is the same technology. My doctor told me the Lipiflow just does not really work and is costly. I had another doctor recommend it and I am so glad I did not do it.
Offline Sophia  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 6:23:40 PM(UTC)

You are absolutely right.
I know it is MGD. Years ago I went to a doc in Bumrumgrad Bangkok and he did a special screening. I could see my glands on a 1x2 m screen in the office. All glands were shrivelled up and blocked. Not only blocked but ended before they lead to the lid margin. Well, he also said I have an overpopulation of demotex and scrubbed the lids clean, gave me special prescription foam to use when cleaning my eyes and some other tips. (The usual wam compresses, cleaning the lids, tea tree oil in face wash.....) I think it is a complex issue and many factors play a role.

I have drops, but they don´t help much. I also have an artificial film (it is like a cream) for the eyes.
Using make up is difficult, mascara a nightmare, and eye shadow also irritating.
When I am in Germany I will start a hunt for make up again, Roche Posay maybe. I hear their mascara and products might work with MGD.
I got a permanent eyeliner that I don´t look to "bare eyed".

There is not a single doctor or clinic in Shanghai who is offering Lipiflow or E-eye. I will need to wait for my trip to Germany.

Sophie

The technology is being developed in Europe (Italy) so surely you can find someone there to do a treatment. I recommended a friend who was complaining of dry eyes go see my doc and sure enough it was MGD. Not all dry eyes are caused by this issue. He had only one treatment and his issues resolved. My case is severe so I have had to have several txs. I also am using the LED portion regularly. There will be a home unit that is available soon for the LED tx. I will buy that to use. Also are you keeping your lids clean? Those with ocular rosacea can have an over abundance of demodex mites which can worsen things. I use a prescription lid wash that helps that as well. Avenova. Do you use drops? I use Xidra drops. Also if you are on the computer take breaks. You don't blink as often when you stare at a computer and that can increase the problem. My problem became noticeable when I went to grad school and was on the computer all the time. I don't know about the latisse but I do know I asked my doctor and he did not care if I used products like that however you I suppose anything could be an irritant.

Offline Annaport  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:10:32 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Sophia Go to Quoted Post
You are absolutely right.
I know it is MGD. Years ago I went to a doc in Bumrumgrad Bangkok and he did a special screening. I could see my glands on a 1x2 m screen in the office. All glands were shrivelled up and blocked. Not only blocked but ended before they lead to the lid margin. Well, he also said I have an overpopulation of demotex and scrubbed the lids clean, gave me special prescription foam to use when cleaning my eyes and some other tips. (The usual wam compresses, cleaning the lids, tea tree oil in face wash.....) I think it is a complex issue and many factors play a role.

I have drops, but they don´t help much. I also have an artificial film (it is like a cream) for the eyes.
Using make up is difficult, mascara a nightmare, and eye shadow also irritating.
When I am in Germany I will start a hunt for make up again, Roche Posay maybe. I hear their mascara and products might work with MGD.
I got a permanent eyeliner that I don´t look to "bare eyed".

There is not a single doctor or clinic in Shanghai who is offering Lipiflow or E-eye. I will need to wait for my trip to Germany.

I have almost given up wearing eye make up entirely due to this issue. ON the RARE occasion I wear it I will wash my eyes fastidiously. My aesthetician is always begging me to let her dye my lashes but I RARELY say yes anymore and when I do (and I mean it is like twice a year) I make her stay far off the lid margin. I have worked in direct patient care with aging adults for 25 years and the thought of not being able to see is too damn scary for me. I am vain in my own stupid ways but not enough to risk my vision. Much luck to you and keep up the good work. Tell me about this film? I am shocked Shanghai does not offer this. It is so progressive there.