logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sarah W  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:58:59 PM(UTC)

Woman
Just a question as I don't seem to be able to start a new thread for some reason. I am in the process of improving my decolletage area which has thin skin and a few visible veins and sun damage. I just saw an aesthetician who said laser is not a good choice for this area , especially as my skin is thin, and suggested hydroquinone. Is this the best I can do or would azelaic acid be better? Or anything else? My face and neck do not match. Face skin is good
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:02:12 PM(UTC)

The way to start a new thread is to hit the button that says; 'New Topic'.

I started this one for you, even though my post is the 2nd one in the string.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Greg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 6:44:32 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Hi Sarah, I think you should get at least one second opinion. I don't agree that laser is not a good option for veins and sun damage in that area...a vascular laser like VBeam or Excel V would treat the veins, and another laser like BBL or even one of the fraxels could treat the sun damage (there are a number of options).
Offline Sarah W  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:19:43 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
The way to start a new thread is to hit the button that says; 'New Topic'.

I started this one for you, even though my post is the 2nd one in the string.

Thank you MissJ! Shows how long it is since I have been on this board:)

Offline Sarah W  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:21:25 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
Hi Sarah, I think you should get at least one second opinion. I don't agree that laser is not a good option for veins and sun damage in that area...a vascular laser like VBeam or Excel V would treat the veins, and another laser like BBL or even one of the fraxels could treat the sun damage (there are a number of options).

Thanks Greg. I think I will. This was a small town place in a small country. I will ask around.

Offline MissJ  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:10:32 PM(UTC)

Azelaic acid should help lighten the brown spots. But there are a gazillian lasers out there that, as you say, small towns are not going to have all of them. So, start with the simple cream.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline kosmeds  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:40:21 PM(UTC)

Facial skin has more blood vessels, better blood supply, and heals more quickly from insult.

You can do a lot more to the skin on the face compared to the neck and chest, which could scar under the same conditions. There are a few very light lasers that work on skin that isn't on the face, but as has been previously mentioned, a small town will not have all of them.

You could do a series of light peels and use prescription retinoids and skin lighteners and high UVA protection sunscreens but results will be slow and probably not as dramatic as what a device might be able to accomplish.

You might also try a derminator every 3-4 weeks (microneedling). You can do this at home by yourself. It will take time.

I don't think there is any one-and-done fix for skin that isn't on the face. If you could go deep enough to get it done in one shot, you'd probably also give yourself a lot of new scars.
Offline Sarah W  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:41:25 PM(UTC)

Woman
Thanks MissJ and kosmeds. I had looked up azelaic acid and it sounds safe. My skin is pretty thin as I have been on prednisone for a few years on and off so I do need to be conservative.

I did have IPL about 6 years ago on my face (small town again) and had damage- a grid pattern all over my face which did go after some months but it has left me nervous about lasers. They offered me free dermarolling but I was so spooked I did not take up that offer.

I wish I could get the product from you MissJ but as you know, I am out of the U.S
Offline Robin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:01:21 AM(UTC)

i have (had) the same issue on the chest skin - redness and sun damage . I have had a series of Excel V treatments and that took care of it. I have had a lot of lasers over the course of the last 15 years to treat face, leg veins etc but this was the most painful i have experienced. But totally worth it.

As others have mentioned i also use some topicals for skin texture - a glycolic serum works best for me.
Offline Sarah W  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:55:41 AM(UTC)

Woman
Thank you Robin. I will look into that too and see if I can find a place that has one. Mine isn't red-just uneven and tiny broken caps and brown splodges etc. Does the Excel V treat the broken capillaries too? Are you fair skinned? Am not looking forward to the pain!
Offline Greg  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:03:02 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Excel V definitely treats broken capillaries--that is one of its main purposes. Its laser light specifically zaps anything that has the color red.

It's nice to see you back here, Sarah!
Offline Robin  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:10:40 AM(UTC)

i am fair skinned. Excel V has different settings which are used to treat visible capilaries, and general/diffuse redness. If you have brown spots that's probably for bbl or IPL of some kind. you may need more than one modality to do the job.
Offline Sarah W  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:07:24 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
Excel V definitely treats broken capillaries--that is one of its main purposes. Its laser light specifically zaps anything that has the color red.

It's nice to see you back here, Sarah!

Thank you Greg! I think I have been on this board for about 16 or 17 years. Would that be right MissJ (not including the wee hiatus)
It's a great board. So many knowledgable people here:)

Offline Sarah W  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:08:36 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
i am fair skinned. Excel V has different settings which are used to treat visible capilaries, and general/diffuse redness. If you have brown spots that's probably for bbl or IPL of some kind. you may need more than one modality to do the job.

Thanks Robin. I had to look up bbl as I have not heard of it

Offline Annaport  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:16:12 PM(UTC)

I am having good success with BBL and not as good success with Fraxel and Alexandrite. I can say that the NUMBER ONE problem I have is with sun exposure. Avoid the sun at ALL cost.

Have you tried Tazorac or topical Vitamin C?