logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Chris K  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 11:31:23 PM(UTC)

Woman
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Online Jane2222  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:39:39 AM(UTC)

I did see that the other day. So tragic. She was a beautiful girl. The human spirit is amazing. She somehow rebounded from her suicide attempt to go through such gruelling surgery and have the will to live. Certainly puts things into perspective.
Offline lucillenyc  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:51:26 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6074395/Emotional-moment-grandmother-face-transplant-donor-meets-21-year-old-recipient.html

Wow, that definitely gives perspective. She was so beautiful before the suicide attempt. Heartbreaking on so many levels. :(
Offline rust1975  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 3:15:55 AM(UTC)

I can't help but wonder if this new face will give her some new demons to contend with in the future. Specifically, there is a reason she tried to kill herself initially. I can't see how having to embrace life now with the addition of an (some might call it) obstacle such as this not-ideal appearance will get easier for her. But maybe her will is stronger than mine could ever be...

I guess I'm just too superficial sometimes.
Online Meeka  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 4:29:42 AM(UTC)

Its a very tragic story. I know she is learning braille so i think she lost a significant proportion of her vision. She said she couldn't stand to touch her face before the transplant but I'm not sure she can actually see the full extent of the damage. The article said that suicide patients are carefully evaluated because they may attempt suicide again after the transplant.
Offline Chris K  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:32:09 AM(UTC)

Woman
so i picked up this national geographic issue at the airport and i HIGHLY recommend everyone here read the article.

its mind blowing what these patients go through and its almost seems like pure science fiction.

you also get the feeling that its in the infantile stages and in some years face transplants could be undetectable.

it also puts the struggles many of here have with our face into perspective. that said i'd rather be dead than go through that process.

https://www.nationalgeog...photography-interactive/

you need to scroll down. its a photo documentation.