logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Quno  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:11:21 PM(UTC)

I've developed this for the first time in 14 years. I had it when I was a teenager and it was moderately severe. Obviously, I'm keen to not go back to that point as it was a bit of a nightmare.

My doctor prescribed me a steroid cream in March. At that point I had only two very small circular patches and both are covered by the rest of my hair. Despite using this every day and upping my iron intake, I have not noticed any fuzz developing, which is what usually happens in recovery. Unfortunately, I also developed two more (larger) bald patches. One is huge and right next to the ear. It's also visible when I tie up my hair and kind of reminds me of a bad face lift at a certain angle, lol.

I only came across these last week and did not notice any hair falling out in my hands or anything dramatic like that. The biggest is almost the size of this girl's but more circular: https://www.reddit.com/r...a_small_victory_3_month/

I'm thinking about steroid shots and intramuscular iron injections but I'm wondering if I should do dermarolling and add minoxidil at home, as well as continue with the steroid cream. My GP said stay away from Rogaine but I'm reading others have had success with it for this type of hair loss.

As some of you may have developed hair loss too (or alopecia areata) I'd be interested in anyone's experience with products and treatments.
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 1:36:22 PM(UTC)

I, myself, have had no treatments for such but one time a plastic surgeon told me that he had patients who would wear their hair up a lot in tight pony tails (to lift the face) and they got the baldness in some places due to that. I would defer to Robin and Mike D though for better information than I can yield about hair loss or replacement issues.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline makingchoices  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 9:29:54 PM(UTC)

I'd be curious about what others say too. I don't have alopecia - but I definitely have thinning. I'm thinking about rogaine or minoxidil, but there are some really frightening stories in reviews of it causing even more thinning.

This looked really interesting to me -https://www.cesareragazzi.com/en/hair-replacement-system
maybe for down the line?
Offline Meeka  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2018 7:20:41 AM(UTC)

A friend of mine developed this after having twins and then returning to a demanding work schedule. It was thought that the stress had been the trigger as its thought to be an auto-immune problem. Hers slowly grew back after she reduced the stress levels and made sure she started to look after herself and eat and rest well. Do you think yours has been stress related?
Offline Quno  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:32:20 PM(UTC)

I lost my baby hair (fuzz) a few years ago at the front and I do wear my hair scraped back around the house. So I'll leave it loose as much as possible and see if that helps that issue. Thanks Missj for the tip, seems that this would put more tension on the hair follicles in the same way they often say hair extensions do.

Meeka - truth is that I'm always stressed to a certain degree (lol), but I've only been very, very slightly more anxious than usual. I attributed that to the change in season, as Spring tends to bring about a sense of urgency to do things. I've had paralysing levels of stress in previous years but no concurrent bald patches so it seems odd. In my case, there's a possible genetic link as my cousin went totally bald in his teens and lost his eyebrows, and that's what worries me the most.

makingchoices - wonder how it could cause more thinning? Interesting link you found - I wonder whether the 'breathable membrane' they attach would allow the hair to grow back underneath. I have a red light panel for skin so I may position it higher and sit in front of it. As for topical products, there are places that do meso scalp injections (which seem a bit like quackery). There's also this that I found - https://laboratoire-renascor.com/e-shop/?lang=en - "The two main components are Redensyl® and Procapil®." These two are often cited as alternatives to minoxidil and rogaine. No idea if they're comparable or not.
Offline MissJ  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:57:20 PM(UTC)

products with same key ingredient on my amazon portal (for those in the US)
https://www.amazon.com/s...h=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ARedensyl
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Quno  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:13:20 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
products with same key ingredient on my amazon portal (for those in the US)
https://www.amazon.com/s...h=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ARedensyl

The iRestore one at the top of the list has Redensyl in it and they have 2 left on Amazon UK. Will look into that.