logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makingchoices  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:03:50 PM(UTC)

Does anyone know of who would be the best doctors to see for hair loss issues? I've tried PRP and various supplements and even light therapy but my hair is still thinning! I want to get my scalp tested for levels of DHT etc.... I can still style my hair to make it look relatively full - but the sides are starting to recede more and overall thinning is getting more severe. I am beginning to get really concerned about it. Is anyone really known for getting results with this kind of problem?

Edited by user Saturday, March 17, 2018 1:53:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline ditterbo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 2:42:07 PM(UTC)

I'm afraid that transplanting hair would create scar tissue that would 'block' the regrowth of hair when the magic pill eventually comes out. Could be superstition..haven't really researched it. I hope you find a good hair loss clinic/doc.
Offline lamb  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:16:34 PM(UTC)

Have you had your thyroid tested? That’s a common symptom of hypothyroid.
Offline makingchoices  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:22:28 PM(UTC)

yes, I have been on Armour/Naturethroid for years and my thyroid looks good on all panels. My estrogen is low ( I am on bio-identical testosterone, progesterone and bi-est) and I wonder if upping that would help since I have heard that low estrogen can cause thinning hair too? My last test showed postmenopausal levels of estrogen :( despite the estrogen transdermally
Offline Mike D  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 6:58:42 PM(UTC)

Are you looking for a clinic that specializes in treating the CAUSES of hair loss, or a clinic that specializes in hair transplantation?
Offline makingchoices  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:25:34 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
Are you looking for a clinic that specializes in treating the CAUSES of hair loss, or a clinic that specializes in hair transplantation?

I'm looking for a doctor or clinic that specializes in the CAUSES of hair loss - not hair transplantation
Offline Mike D  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:30:44 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post
I'm looking for a doctor or clinic that specializes in the CAUSES of hair loss - not hair transplantation

Ok - wanted to clarify before giving advice. Unfortunately the only advice I have is on transplantation.
Offline Hoss  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 8:08:26 PM(UTC)

Ok - wanted to clarify before giving advice. Unfortunately the only advice I have is on transplantation.

Likewise. I can offer lots of transplantation for men... but not what you are looking for d'oh!
Offline makingchoices  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 8:13:35 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Hoss Go to Quoted Post
Likewise. I can offer lots of transplantation for men... but not what you are looking for d'oh!

To Hoss and Mike D -
I wonder if the doctors you work with for transplantation would know the best doctors for treating female hair loss? Do you have a good enough relationship with them to ask something like that? And would you feel comfortable doing that?
Offline Mike D  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:06:12 PM(UTC)

To Hoss and Mike D -
I wonder if the doctors you work with for transplantation would know the best doctors for treating female hair loss? Do you have a good enough relationship with them to ask something like that? And would you feel comfortable doing that?

I will be glad to do that for you if you send me a reminder PM or email on Monday. I owe my doc a 6 month follow up conversation anyways from a minor procedure I had 6 months ago.
Offline makingchoices  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 9:30:36 PM(UTC)

I will be glad to do that for you if you send me a reminder PM or email on Monday. I owe my doc a 6 month follow up conversation anyways from a minor procedure I had 6 months ago.

I will be happy to do that Mike D. Thank you!!
Offline eden  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 7:56:57 AM(UTC)

Woman
yes, I have been on Armour/Naturethroid for years and my thyroid looks good on all panels. My estrogen is low ( I am on bio-identical testosterone, progesterone and bi-est) and I wonder if upping that would help since I have heard that low estrogen can cause thinning hair too? My last test showed postmenopausal levels of estrogen :( despite the estrogen transdermally

I have Hashimotos and my hair is so thin now, I lost half of it since I developed this disease. I too am on Armour thyroid. I did the bioidentical hormones, did not see any improvement. I went to Dr. Brian Epstein he said tranplant is not an option for me because the hair around it is so weak it would fall out. I bought from him the laser cap which costs 3 ggrand and have been using it 3x per week. Not sure if it will work has mixed reviews but I got to try something. Rogaine he said works but it makes my eyes puffy so I cant use that. I also take Viviscal because they claim it really helps and I use purador shampoo and conditioner for hair loss prevention. Also organic biotin, but my hair is still thin but I dont think it has changed much since starting all of this and thats good I think. I was thinking of prp next but I dont want the shedding that I read happens after doing it, I cant afford to shed more than what I do. This has been a really stressful experience for me as well. hope this helps... oh another thing is I lost all my eyebrows as well.....so upsetting....
Offline Robin  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 8:57:40 AM(UTC)

the first thing is a thorough blood workup... you have to understand if there is some kind of hormonal imbalance or disease behind your hair thinning.

You need to look for a "wellness" doctor who does things like this.... as you've seen here the docs that do HT are not really in that business...
Offline Viking  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:11:59 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
If you're suffering from male pattern baldness, then you want to be on finasteride.
Offline Mike D  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:46:34 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Viking Go to Quoted Post
If you're suffering from male pattern baldness, then you want to be on finasteride.

Makingchoices is a female, so no finasteride for her, but Rogaine for women is helpful for some. Makingchoices, I did reply to your PM, so you can check there for my response to you.

Edit: I just did some quick research and apparently Finasteride is in fact now an option for women, as long as there is no possibility of pregnancy (it causes birth defects). Previously it had not been considered for women, but now seems worth researching. I do know that for me it works well, but of course as a guy I have more dihydrotestosterone to fight off.