logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lisa in Boston  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 6:56:31 AM(UTC)

What is the best retinol lotion for the body to improve texture, sun damage, etc?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Zoey  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 10:53:04 AM(UTC)

My dermatologist told me to get the biggest container of Cereve cream and mix a 20g tube of retinA .05, in it, obviously generic since it only lasts a month. I use the brand on my face but generic for my body.,
Offline MissJ  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 7:22:48 PM(UTC)

IDK about retinal lotion but Jeff Dover (derm/laser guru in Boston) once told me that 'Am Lactin' or 'Lac Hydran' (I think that's the name) was a very good product for that.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Beholder  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 3:01:12 PM(UTC)

Yes that Lactic Acid Am Lactin stuff is really good. My derm recommended it to me years ago but the smell is awful. Like ammonia.
Offline Lisa in Boston  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 9:13:04 AM(UTC)

I remember trying Amlactin or whatever it's called. I think I also found the smell off-putting. I just bought a product called Alpha Skin Care (Renewal Body Lotion) which contains 12 percent glycolic AHA. It's supposed to be good and has no smell. We shall see if it magically renews my body. I am not holding my breath, lol.
Offline Robin  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 9:43:11 AM(UTC)

the mechanics and results retinols and AHAs are different but complimentary.

AHAs loosen dead skin cells and improve moisture retention. retinols (OTC) and retinoids (Rx) also promote tissue repair and collagen formation.

Retinol body lotions are very expensive... retinols are more expensive than AHAs. Retinoids (stronger but only by Rx) are more expensive still, and not used in body lotions (unless you DIY like suggested above)..

Offline makingchoices  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 10:45:19 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
the mechanics and results retinols and AHAs are different but complimentary.

AHAs loosen dead skin cells and improve moisture retention. retinols (OTC) and retinoids (Rx) also promote tissue repair and collagen formation.

Retinol body lotions are very expensive... retinols are more expensive than AHAs. Retinoids (stronger but only by Rx) are more expensive still, and not used in body lotions (unless you DIY like suggested above)..

I wonder if I could take my .05% tretinoid creme and mix it with a body lotion if I could use it on my elbows, hands , chest, etcetera?
Offline MissJ  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 12:29:33 PM(UTC)

You would need to know how to calculate the concentration of the active ingredient in your dilution, (basic chemistry fundamentals of dilutions) and also what ever the cut off percentage of active ingredient in the solution would need to be in order to know if the dilution made would be effective.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Beholder  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 4:58:43 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Lisa in Boston Go to Quoted Post
I remember trying Amlactin or whatever it's called. I think I also found the smell off-putting. I just bought a product called Alpha Skin Care (Renewal Body Lotion) which contains 12 percent glycolic AHA. It's supposed to be good and has no smell. We shall see if it magically renews my body. I am not holding my breath, lol.

So funny! I just ordered the same stuff off Amazon! It used to be called AlphaHydrox and I loved it more than anything. Hard to find in stores now so I get it off Amazon. It has no scent and makes your skin silky smooth. It is the best glycol acid lotion I've ever found.
Offline frizzy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:56:41 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
So funny! I just ordered the same stuff off Amazon! It used to be called AlphaHydrox and I loved it more than anything. Hard to find in stores now so I get it off Amazon. It has no scent and makes your skin silky smooth. It is the best glycol acid lotion I've ever found.

Just google Neoteric Cosmetics and you will find the entire Alpha Hydrox Line on their website
Offline Zoey  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:32:28 PM(UTC)

I had to stop using my mixture of cereve and retin A, because I was not home for 30 days, and OMG, the skin on my legs and arms reverted to what it was before. Horrible. I feel as though my skin looks much worse than before I started using it. I wonder if that can happen??? I can say for a fact that the mixture really works, but wonder if it changes something in your skin permanently at the molecular level. Worrisome.
Offline Quno  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:38:18 PM(UTC)

I think it could mean that skin cells have stopped renewing, hence the reversion.

Perhaps it looks worse as you're not used to seeing it that way. Or your skin is dehydrated due to not being moisturised with the cereve as well.
Offline Zoey  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:40:24 PM(UTC)

Good points!!
Originally Posted by: Quno Go to Quoted Post
I think it could mean that skin cells have stopped renewing, hence the reversion.

Perhaps it looks worse as you're not used to seeing it that way. Or your skin is dehydrated due to not being moisturised with the cereve as well.

Offline Beholder  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:03:06 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Zoey Go to Quoted Post
I had to stop using my mixture of cereve and retin A, because I was not home for 30 days, and OMG, the skin on my legs and arms reverted to what it was before. Horrible. I feel as though my skin looks much worse than before I started using it. I wonder if that can happen??? I can say for a fact that the mixture really works, but wonder if it changes something in your skin permanently at the molecular level. Worrisome.

Zoey, how long did it take for you to see results on your arms and legs with that mixture? What changes did you see? Less crepiness or lightening of spots? I've stayed out of the sun and worn sunscreen for years but damage from my misspent youth is showing up now.
Offline Zoey  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:15:07 AM(UTC)

100% less crepiness. Totally Amazing. I did not realize how much of a difference until I stopped!!! I am not sure about spots. I would say it took 30 days. I think I saw the biggest improvement on my arms.

Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
Zoey, how long did it take for you to see results on your arms and legs with that mixture? What changes did you see? Less crepiness or lightening of spots? I've stayed out of the sun and worn sunscreen for years but damage from my misspent youth is showing up now.