logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MissJ  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 9:09:01 PM(UTC)

Well, all you fans and followers of popular INSTAGRAM Beverly Hills surgeon to the celebs better book fast just in case.
Seems like Mani, who did a lot of surgery in Dubai socked away a lot of $$ in a bank account there and got bagged.

[....In 2012, Mani opened a bank account with a financial institution based in Dubai and began depositing income he earned from abroad into this account. By February 2013, Mani’s foreign bank account held more than $400,000. However, Mani failed to file a FBAR to disclose his foreign bank account for the calendar years 2012 and 2013. The government contends that such failure to report was "wilful" and that his accountant told Dr. Mani that he needed to report the income. ...After an investigation, on July 24, 2017, Dr. Mani plead guilty to one count of failing to file a foreign bank and financial account report (FBAR) for the 2013 tax year. The government, according to court filings, claimed that Dr. Mani earned nearly $1.3 million while working in Dubai over a three-year period... ]
http://greenandassociates.blogspot.com/

Edited by user Monday, February 19, 2018 10:57:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Mike D  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 11:26:23 PM(UTC)

Wow - he can get up to five years in federal prison for that.
Offline MissJ  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:06:39 AM(UTC)

Or a slap on the wrist and acquittal like Calvert got for the insurance fraud.

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
Wow - he can get up to five years in federal prison for that.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Quno  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:57:35 AM(UTC)

What a div!
Offline MissJ  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:39:50 AM(UTC)

What's a div, a male diva?

Originally Posted by: Quno Go to Quoted Post
What a div!

Offline Quno  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:40:04 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
What's a div, a male diva?

Heh, it's an English slang word for an idiot https://www.urbandiction....com/define.php?term=div

Really, I can't believe he tried to hide his money in such an amateur way. That should be enough to discount him as a potential doctor. The world's best accountants get caught out by the IRS.
Offline Mike D  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:52:53 PM(UTC)

Really, I can't believe he tried to hide his money in such an amateur way. That should be enough to discount him as a potential doctor. The world's best accountants get caught out by the IRS.

My thoughts exactly. And the amount he hid wasn’t nearly huge enough to justify the risk to his career and livelihood.
Offline MissJ  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:32:48 PM(UTC)

What's intriquing is that he is all over the place in terms of PUBLICITY as being 'world renouned', 'surgeon to the celebs' etc. But very FEW media outlets picked up on this story. I guess his publicst didn't push this one.

Also that the media all picked up the story of the 'no name' docs, like the place on Rodeo drive where the anesthesiologist was accused of murder and the other one who showed up drunk for surgery.

What the media picks up about Mani is basically what mani puts out himself such as: "Leading Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Marc Mani is sought after by movie stars and celebrities so they can look and feel younger." That is his lead phrase listed in Google when his website is called up.

Offline MissJ  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:35:59 PM(UTC)

Geez. Is there no slang for a male DIVA??

Heh, it's an English slang word for an idiot https://www.urbandiction....com/define.php?term=div

Offline Quno  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:27:02 PM(UTC)

My thoughts exactly. And the amount he hid wasn’t nearly huge enough to justify the risk to his career and livelihood.

I know. Many more savvy people are languishing in prison today with their Swiss bank accounts emptied.

I'd actually never heard of this Mani guy before reading about him here. I'd bet his publicist has a good relationship with the main news outlets.

Lol, I found this on the same site https://www.urbandiction...com/define.php?term=Divo Div + o. Very fitting...
Offline MissJ  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:30:37 PM(UTC)

Yes. Indeed. He has a good publicist. I found him (or one of them).

https://www.publicityandmarketing.com/services

https://www.linkedin.com...folio_article-card_title

Mani gets into the media venues the PR agent has connections with. Incidentally, I don't know how many of you remember Richard Ellenbogan who's tag line was also 'Surgeon to the Stars'. This is the SAME PR agent that pitched him.

Interesting how they do it. I analyzed the article in People Mag. First the agent picks up on a publicity press release by the 'Facial Plastic Surgery' org (you know the ones with the ENT background) where the org basically wanted publicity for their own org. and/or the head of it quoted in their press release. He quotes some of the press release and gives a link back to the whole of it.

Then, enter the quote from Marc Mani (member of 'competing' org) which takes up most of the article. It looks like the 'author' of the article just uses her name and the PR agent hands the piece to her on a platter.

Kind of interesting as it looks like some of these 'journalists' in Hoi polloi and/or glam rags don't do their own writing and just publish what is 'pitched' to them.

I know. Many more savvy people are languishing in prison today with their Swiss bank accounts emptied.

I'd actually never heard of this Mani guy before reading about him here. I'd bet his publicist has a good relationship with the main news outlets.

Lol, I found this on the same site https://www.urbandiction...com/define.php?term=Divo Div + o. Very fitting...

Offline Quno  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:18:35 PM(UTC)

Yes. Indeed. He has a good publicist. I found him (or one of them).

https://www.publicityandmarketing.com/services

https://www.linkedin.com...folio_article-card_title

Mani gets into the media venues the PR agent has connections with. Incidentally, I don't know how many of you remember Richard Ellenbogan who's tag line was also 'Surgeon to the Stars'. This is the SAME PR agent that pitched him.

Interesting how they do it. I analyzed the article in People Mag. First the agent picks up on a publicity press release by the 'Facial Plastic Surgery' org (you know the ones with the ENT background) where the org basically wanted publicity for their own org. and/or the head of it quoted in their press release. He quotes some of the press release and gives a link back to the whole of it.

Then, enter the quote from Marc Mani (member of 'competing' org) which takes up most of the article. It looks like the 'author' of the article just uses her name and the PR agent hands the piece to her on a platter.

Kind of interesting as it looks like some of these 'journalists' in Hoi polloi and/or glam rags don't do their own writing and just publish what is 'pitched' to them.

I reckon the external link is there to give the article better search visibility as well as some factual "credibility".

Yes, the journalists do that. The PR agent contacts the person at the magazine/publication who deals with that stuff, and they get some journalist or blogger type to write it up or pretend to randomly visit or try the service or product they're promoting. Looks like no-one was brave enough to sample Marc Mani, though...
Offline MissJ  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:26:47 PM(UTC)

According to: https://www.hollywoodrep...surgeons-decamped-590207 :

[Mani has traveled to Dubai every two months since June 2011, doing face-lifts, breast lifts, tummy tucks and nose jobs on men and women and on a diverse international clientele.]

There's nothing that can arouse the suspicion of the IRS as to off shore banking than announcing the equivalent of:
'I follow the money and perform surgery in RICH Arab countries EVERY 2 MONTHS'.

I guess that's the cost of publicity pushing where he wants his image not only to be one where he's the 'Surgeon to the stars and celebs' in Tinsel Town but also the surgeon to the 'Sultans and Sultanas' and in choice rich Arab countries that offer secrecy and privacy in banking.

So, I guess the slang definition of 'div' (as opposed to mine of 'male diva') is somewhat fitting.

Offline Quno  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:12:41 PM(UTC)

According to: https://www.hollywoodrep...surgeons-decamped-590207 :

[Mani has traveled to Dubai every two months since June 2011, doing face-lifts, breast lifts, tummy tucks and nose jobs on men and women and on a diverse international clientele.]

There's nothing that can arouse the suspicion of the IRS as to off shore banking than announcing the equivalent of:
'I follow the money and perform surgery in RICH Arab countries EVERY 2 MONTHS'.

I guess that's the cost of publicity pushing where he wants his image not only to be one where he's the 'Surgeon to the stars and celebs' in Tinsel Town but also the surgeon to the 'Sultans and Sultanas' and in choice rich Arab countries that offer secrecy and privacy in banking.

So, I guess the slang definition of 'div' (as opposed to mine of 'male diva') is somewhat fitting.

Very interesting read. The IRS will certainly be onto that lot. Mani and co. were most likely required to obtain a work permit or visa from the UAE consulate beforehand, so even without the PR, they would be "flagged", so to speak. Dubai is a renowned tax haven but renouncing one's US citizenship is the only way a non-billionaire US citizen could pull off a stunt like that. Obscuring international accounts is a professional job. No-one worth their salt tries to DIY something like that and I can imagine this knucklehead Mani made at least one direct payment into a US bank account.

This part also got me:
"Anyone who has any kind of media exposure here is considered an A-list celebrity, not just a reality TV asshole," says Jason Diamond, Dr. 90210's former facial expert. He also is the ringleader of a 90210 plastic-surgeon posse that is part of a lucrative partnership with the American British Surgical & Medical Centre, a facility that brings U.S. and U.K. doctors to the Middle East, located on Abu Bakr Al Siddique Road in Dubai's Deira district.

He's frank about the fact that he and his "posse" are low brow and seen as such. Once they've pumped the US market for business through low quality televised surgeries, they have little choice other than to start afresh in a foreign country, much like a tax dodger would. Ironic.
Offline MissJ  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:45:46 PM(UTC)

Found his plea bargain court document:

https://www.courtlistene...urts.cacd.680142.8.0.pdf

ETA: The last pages of the document relay that he was told by a number of accountants that he had to report the money he had in the Dubai bank but he chose to retain the accountant who would under report. Hence he's considered as willfully disregarding what he knew was his obligation to report. To that, he agrees he is guilty.

The rest of the document says he can't change his mind and plead not guilty which is part of the plea bargain.

I'm not sure but I think that with a plea bargain, we don't know all the terms of it. They might tell him something like: 'IF you don't plead guilty to one account, we can prosecute all of the accounts and lock you up. But if you plead guilty to one of the accounts, we won't lock you up and instead will just give you a fine.' A fat fine should be NO PROBLEM for mani since they figure he's raking it in by the bu$hels daily given his publicity push of how he's the surgeon to the rich and famous.

Jail time of 5 years max is basically 'debtor's prison' for those who won't pay the debt. So, unlikely he would be doing any jail time, which again, I think, 'no jail time' is part of deal the prosecution and him are privy to but they don't disclose. So probably a fat fine he can easily work off and pay via another day of surgery bookings in Dubai or BH.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:42:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified