logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JonathanA  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 12:47:44 PM(UTC)

Hey All,

I recently had an anti-aging consult with a dermatologist. In addition to fillers for my temples and maxillary region, she noted my (poor) rhinoplasty result and recommended 3-4 treatments with the V-Beam Perfecta to improve redness and scarring around alar rims.

Any general thoughts on this laser? I can only take a day or two off work, and I'm concerned about returning with prominent bruises around my nose. I've heard different things from different providers regarding bruising associated with this procedure. Any first-hand accounts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 1:17:15 PM(UTC)

Not sure but I think lasers needed 3-4 treatments are so that the down time is not as much as it could be with ones that can zap with one. You know there are ones that can leave Purpura (purpleness) to the area for quite some time. So, I think this might be one that makes the down time less. How much less the time, I don't know though.

ETA: Just looked at more info. If you do get the purpleness, it's said to go away in 3-5 days.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline JonathanA  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 3:03:20 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
Not sure but I think lasers needed 3-4 treatments are so that the down time is not as much as it could be with ones that can zap with one. You know there are ones that can leave Purpura (purpleness) to the area for quite some time. So, I think this might be one that makes the down time less. How much less the time, I don't know though.

ETA: Just looked at more info. If you do get the purpleness, it's said to go away in 3-5 days.

Thanks, Miss J. I think there may be some variability in terms of bruising risk based on the specific settings used by the provider.

3-5 days isn't too bad, I suppose, but then I saw some stories on RealSelf with the older model of this laser that resulted in purpura that persisted for months.

You bring up a good point in that "lasers needed 3-4 treatments are so that the down time is not as much as it could be with ones that can zap with one;" I wonder if it's possible to do 6-8 treatments instead to minimize the risk of bruising? I'll call on Monday and see if that's option.

-Jon

Offline lamb  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 4:24:41 PM(UTC)

V beam is excellent for redness. Never heard of it causing bruises.
Offline Mike D  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 4:53:11 PM(UTC)

No experience with the V-Beam, but I would think that bruising around the nose would be very unlikely as it’s not an area known for bruising. If just a few days is needed for downtime, have it done on a Friday afternoon and you should be fine by Monday.
Offline Annaport  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 5:20:51 PM(UTC)

https://aesthetic-solutions.com/treatments/v-beam/

Here is my laser and my provider.

I do VBEAM multiple times a year. The worst thing it has done for me has caused some serious swelling (on face).

I had serious scars on my legs from failed box jumps and that laser solved the problem (but it took multiple treatments)
Offline JonathanA  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:46:42 PM(UTC)

Thanks, all! Feeling much more comfortable about this procedure than I was after perusing the RealSelf stories.

Will post B&A's after I go through the series (in case anyone else has persistent telangiectasias or scarring from rhinoplasty).

-Jon
Offline Meeka  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:09:38 PM(UTC)

Ive had perfecta V beam for facial redness and on facelift scars. It can cause purpura on certain settings or used on non purpuric setting. Purpura setting is quicker fix with more downtime, some of the purpura can last 10 days plus on me. The non purpura setting works but takes longer and more treatments.
Offline Greg  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 4:55:37 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
The VBeam Perfecta doesn't usually cause any purpura/bruising; whereas the older VBeam model often did (some docs are still using that older VBeam model).
Offline Greg  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 5:02:20 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
No experience with the V-Beam, but I would think that bruising around the nose would be very unlikely as it’s not an area known for bruising. If just a few days is needed for downtime, have it done on a Friday afternoon and you should be fine by Monday.

I respectfully differ in opinion with this--the nose is an area that can spot-bruise from VBeam more easily than other areas--such as the chin.
Similar to pre-surgery, you can reduce the chance of bruising from VBeam or Excel V by avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen and alcohol for some days prior to the laser treatment.
Offline Mike D  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 8:36:35 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
I respectfully differ in opinion with this--the nose is an area that can spot-bruise from VBeam more easily than other areas--such as the chin.
Similar to pre-surgery, you can reduce the chance of bruising from VBeam or Excel V by avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen and alcohol for some days prior to the laser treatment.

I think I misread/responsed incorrectly. I’m not at all experienced with laser spot- bruising. I was just operating under the assumption that since noses don’t bruise appreciably from surgery that they wouldn’t bruise from lasers. And then, my assumption is only based on my three nasal surgeries.

Edit to clarify and not to sound snarky — based on my limited knowledge of bruising from lasers, I shouldn’t have answered the original question, but instead should have posed one of my own.
Offline Greg  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:35:08 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
I think I misread/responsed incorrectly. I’m not at all experienced with laser spot- bruising. I was just operating under the assumption that since noses don’t bruise appreciably from surgery that they wouldn’t bruise from lasers. And then, my assumption is only based on my three nasal surgeries.

Edit to clarify and not to sound snarky — based on my limited knowledge of bruising from lasers, I shouldn’t have answered the original question, but instead should have posed one of my own.

Makes total sense Mike :-) The way that vascular lasers affect the skin is not totally the same as the way surgery affects it.
I've had a ton of VBeam and Excel V that--with persistent repetition--successfully removed 100% of my rosacea redness and put it into remission. The nose and nasal skin are highly vascularized and it is the area (along with upper cheeks) that in my own experience (and my laser docs' opinions) is more inclined to get purple bruise spots (usually small) from VBeam and other vascular lasers. Wavelength and spot-size settings on the laser partially influence the likelihood (or not) of that bruising, but on the nasal skin one can get some surprise bruising here and there.
Offline Mike D  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 12:42:19 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
Makes total sense Mike :-) The way that vascular lasers affect the skin is not totally the same as the way surgery affects it.
I've had a ton of VBeam and Excel V that--with persistent repetition--successfully removed 100% of my rosacea redness and put it into remission. The nose and nasal skin are highly vascularized and it is the area (along with upper cheeks) that in my own experience (and my laser docs' opinions) is more inclined to get purple bruise spots (usually small) from VBeam and other vascular lasers. Wavelength and spot-size settings on the laser partially influence the likelihood (or not) of that bruising, but on the nasal skin one can get some surprise bruising here and there.

Very informative - thank you, Greg.

How many treatments did it take to knock your rosacea into remission? Are there required “maintenance” rounds to keep it at bay?
Offline Greg  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:26:50 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Very informative - thank you, Greg.

How many treatments did it take to knock your rosacea into remission? Are there required “maintenance” rounds to keep it at bay?

It took me about 1 year of VBeam treatments, spaced one month apart, to eliminate the majority of the redness and put a stop to all flushing episodes. After that, I have continued alternating VBeam and Excel V treatments about every two to three months, partly to maintain the remission, and partly because I now continue to nitpick about any little pink area or visible cap no matter how small (admitted perfectionist). I do some other daily skin care stuff to further help maintain the remission.
Offline Beholder  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:16:40 PM(UTC)

Does this laser heat the fat up and melt it even slightly? So many of these lasers can damage fat cells. I tried the VBeam for broken caps many years ago and it did not work for me. This was probably over 15 years ago when the technology was new though. I did a series of three or four.