logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makingchoices  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:29:11 AM(UTC)

what is the best regime to be on for skin rejuvenation - creams, moisturizers, retinol etc?? What brands are the best and economical? I've done some searches on this part of the forum - good info but a little overwhelming. I have never been much for these things - having mostly relied on internal products(supplements) for my skin health. And my first FL and fat grafting which really upped the collagen production for years. My facial skin has some age spots, and red blood vessel blotches,and my hand skin is pretty aged from working on a farm my whole life. I also have spider veins on my legs - should I go to a dermatologist for that I wonder?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Online Robin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:25:37 AM(UTC)

at a minimum, good skin care includes some kind of retinoid used over a long term, sunscreen every day, and moisture. exactly what kind and strength will depend on your own skin tolerance.

in terms of undoing spots and lines - that is the domain of derms - lasers, peels, etc. And this is not a quick fix.... you need a partner (derm) that understands and uses various modalities and will work with you over time. But it can really make a difference.

Offline Greg  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:07:51 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Your 'red blood vessel blotches' can be treated by the VBeam Perfecta laser or the Excel V laser. IMO to get the best and quickest results from those lasers you should go to a very laser-savvy doc that works with one of those lasers frequently--not just occasionally. There are multiple laser options and IPL/BBL for age spots. Perfecting the skin is a process--not a one-time thing--so persistence is key.
Offline makingchoices  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:35:55 PM(UTC)

Any recommendations for retinoid brands?

Or dermatologists around Wash DC or Virginia that know the machines well and have a number of them to choose from? I am wondering if Dr Marten will suggest some kind of treatment(peel) when he does the Facelift later in the year?
Offline Greg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:47:15 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post

Or dermatologists around Wash DC or Virginia that know the machines well and have a number of them to choose from? I am wondering if Dr Marten will suggest some kind of treatment(peel) when he does the Facelift later in the year?

Dr. Tina Alster in DC is very experienced with virtually all laser treatments and is considered a top laser derm.
Offline makingchoices  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:52:05 PM(UTC)

"Dr. Tina Alster in DC is very experienced with virtually all laser treatments and is considered a top laser derm. "

Greg - I called her office a few weeks ago and she is not taking any new patients right now. The person her office referred me to wanted a $350 consultation fee - and I don't know if she is that good.

I think the fee might be partially applied to a treatment if I decide to do one though.
Offline Greg  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:03:57 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
"Dr. Tina Alster in DC is very experienced with virtually all laser treatments and is considered a top laser derm. "

Greg - I called her office a few weeks ago and she is not taking any new patients right now. The person her office referred me to wanted a $350 consultation fee - and I don't know if she is that good.

I think the fee might be partially applied to a treatment if I decide to do one though.

If I lived in the DC area and Dr. Alster wasn't an option, I would make the day trip to NYC to see Roy Geronemus. You could also go to the Syneron Candela website (for VBeam) or the Cutera website (for Excel V) and search in their patients' section for their list of docs who use VBeam or Excel V--both companies tend to list only docs who are significant users of their lasers. I wouldn't rely totally on those lists to make your choice, but it is a good starting point from which you would then research those docs further to narrow in on a best one for you. And, my impression is that those two laser companies are selective about who is listed on their websites...but still definitely do your own research on the docs. Also, know that both lasers function similarly, but the Excel V is somewhat more powerful and has more of an inclination to cause a little bruising than the VBeam Perfecta.
Online Robin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:08:51 AM(UTC)

retinoids are by Rx only. a derm will help you pick the strength and formulation that's right for you. Retinols are OTC and are much, much weaker.

do you already have a date scheduled with dr marten for a lift?
Offline Chris K  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:30:55 AM(UTC)

Woman
i used tazorac from my mid 20s to my late 30s and it gave my skin a wonderful texture.

i also still think the classic co2 laser does wonders. even though you a have few weeks of down time.
Offline makingchoices  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:43:20 AM(UTC)

No, I don't have a date set yet - and in fact have not had my consult (scheduled for early April) but after all the research I've done ( and Miss J's input) I can't imagine why I would not go with him. I received his booklet detailing his approach and numerous photos of before and afters. Incredibly impressive - and most important to me is his aesthetic eye - ability to improve on the original. I'm not going to fool around this time- I want to go with the best ( Not that Dr Little was not excellent - he was!)

I think Dr Martin sometimes does Co2 laser at the same time as the lift?

I'll look up tazorac - and maybe I can get a local derm to give me a scripot for strong retinoid?
Online Robin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:21:25 PM(UTC)

I don't think Marten does CO2. He does some light TCA peels in selective areas (like under the eyes)

If your consult isn't until april it's not likely you will have the surgery this year, unless you are able to jump on a cancellation on short notice or are willing to have it at an unpopular time (like a few days before xmas).
Online Robin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:26:18 PM(UTC)

I'll look up tazorac - and maybe I can get a local derm to give me a scripot for strong retinoid?

Stronger isn't necessarily better. Tazorac is just one formulation of retinoid. what is right for you depends on your skin qualities. Chris K used it on male 20-30 year old skin which is very different than female in late 50s skin.

There are plenty of good, competent cosmetic derms around every major metro area. Use yelp reviews, look for reviews from a broad age range and genders, vet their websites, and take the plunge. As someone else said, it takes time, and consistency.

Offline MissJ  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:51:46 PM(UTC)

Agree.

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
Stronger isn't necessarily better. Tazorac is just one formulation of retinoid. what is right for you depends on your skin qualities. Chris K used it on male 20-30 year old skin which is very different than female in late 50s skin.

There are plenty of good, competent cosmetic derms around every major metro area. Use yelp reviews, look for reviews from a broad age range and genders, vet their websites, and take the plunge. As someone else said, it takes time, and consistency.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Online Mike D  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:18:48 PM(UTC)

I agree with what the others say about retinoids. You should be using one of them for skin health/maintenance. Also for the conditions you describe - blotchy pigmentation and red vessels, I would recommend the minimally invasive BBL laser. It works well for those problems. It’s something that you will have to do monthly for 3-5 sessions to see maximum results, and then should repeat 2-3 times a year thereafter as maintenance. It’s one of the best things I’ve done for my sun-damaged skin.

It might be a good idea (ask Marten) to get your skin in as good of shape as possible BEFORE your surgery. I would imagine there is at least a 6 month wait before he’s available anyways.

When I had my TCA peel under my eyes with him 2 years ago, he also offered CO 2. He may still, but ask him about it. If he combines it with a lift at the same time, it would be worth it for the all-in-one healing. I hear that CO 2 is serious downtime for a few weeks.
Offline Chris K  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:31:24 PM(UTC)

Woman
the picosure laser initially for dark tattoos is supposed to be amazing for discoloration

nothing refreshes haggard witch skin like co2