logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makingchoices  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:05:52 AM(UTC)

well, in my quest for a "new me" rejuvenation, in addition to FL with Dr. Marten I am considering liposuction. I've noticed some disturbing research and personal stories about the fat coming back, just in other places, and people ending up with very distorted bodily appearance.

This surgeon is pretty blunt about what can happen.

http://www.sowdermd.com/...liposuction-will-fat-go/

http://messageboards.mak...ter-lipo-t148339-15.html

I've gained 20 lbs in the last few years - I am by no means obese at 5'10" 160 lbs - and I've just started an intensive exercise routine to get back in shape. But the weight seems much more resistant at the age of 59. It was once relatively easy, now not so much!

Has anyone on this board had liposuction more than a year ago and what has been your experience with the fat coming back? And where did it appear. I might be Ok with it going to my breasts ;) - just not my legs or back!
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Robin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:35:35 AM(UTC)

this is a pretty well known phenomenon. if you take 5 lbs off with lipo, and then don't adjust your eating and exercise to support a lower body weight, you will gain weight back. it will go to the places you have fat in your body (and face), and places that you had not previously though of as being "fat" because there wasn't a bulge of fat there, will show up at the higher weight. so it's best to have lipo when you are at a target weight or only removing a relatively small amount in a localized "pooch"

I am same height as you and went through the same issue with about 20 lbs of weight gain despite eating well and exercising...younger than you did though. Same thing - did not look obese because the height allows you to carry the weight... but it didn't feel right to me.

How your body processes calories changes as it gets older, and not just "metabolism slowing down"... there is a good amount of evidence to support that not all calories are equal. for some people, carb calories are processed differently and the doctor who introduced me to this recommended a low carb diet... no grains, legumes, potatoes, and or fruit (except small portions of berries).. no sugar/honey/agave, and no sweet veggies (like beets). Lots of vegetables and proteins. Fats are OK. I started eating that way and the weight gradually came off and i was never hungry. it's like whole 30 but not as draconian, because i still eat milk/milk products, eggs and soy. I do violate this occasionally but treat those events as exceptions, and go back to my regular eating pattern the next day. And I am 5 years later and have not regained the weight. And i don't feel deprived, food-wise.
Offline MissJ  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:59:12 AM(UTC)

Some guidelines with liposuction;

It is best to be at your desired weight before getting it as not to depend on it for what weight loss would/could do.
It is most successful in areas of fat that stick out relative to other areas and don't go away with diet and exercise such as saddle bags . Basically areas that 'bump out' relative to an otherwise nice contour of the rest of body which are 'stubborn' fat that does not respond to diet and exercise.

The fat does not come back to the areas lipoed because the lipo removes the fat CELLS in the area lipoed. However, with weight gain, the fat will redistribute itself to OTHER areas.
Where it will go depends on each persons proclivity toward either 'male' or 'female' fat distribution. Females with 'male pattern' fat distribution will deposit fat ABOVE the waist, especially to the back and front areas. Females with 'female pattern' fat distribution will deposit it BELOW the waist, especially to thigh and butt areas. Ironically, it would go to the breasts with 'male pattern' fat distribution.

EDIT: Made a mix-up mistake and had to change it.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:59:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Made a mix-up mistake and had to change it.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Larazelle  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:30:58 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post
well, in my quest for a "new me" rejuvenation, in addition to FL with Dr. Marten I am considering liposuction. I've noticed some disturbing research and personal stories about the fat coming back, just in other places, and people ending up with very distorted bodily appearance.

I've gained 20 lbs in the last few years - I am by no means obese at 5'10" 160 lbs - and I've just started an intensive exercise routine to get back in shape. But the weight seems much more resistant at the age of 59. It was once relatively easy, now not so much!

Has anyone on this board had liposuction more than a year ago and what has been your experience with the fat coming back? And where did it appear. I might be Ok with it going to my breasts ;) - just not my legs or back!

Hi Make:

I had lipo - on my butt and belly in 1998- and I don't think the fat has come back in a "big way" to those specific parts of my body. I used to be 117 then and I am now 127 - so I've gained 10 lbs - and it obviously has to go somewhere - so I think it just deposited itself "throughout" my body instead of in a localized fashion. BTW I don't exercise or diet but I think if I did I would probably be able to lose those pounds. Actually I am - starting the New Year - ha ha - the 5:2 diet - which seems to work with me. Also, like Robin I am carb sensitive and I have noticed that just cutting out bread for a day or two makes me lose weight. However, since I don't look fat I prefer myself at my weight of 127 as I look youthful instead of haggard. I will however try to lose 5 lbs before I have some "work" done, and then 5 lbs after. That should do me. I will keep you posted on how my belly or butt looks after losing 10 lbs. I am also considering doin a bit of "cool sculpting" on parts of my belly as the lipo caused some unevenness. My advice with lipo is NOT to expect perfection - I was just happy that I got a small butt that stays that way.
Offline makingchoices  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:45:03 PM(UTC)

thank you everyone for these insights - I feel a little less freaked out about what I've read.

I am about 20 pounds from my ideal weight - and I tend to put weight on everywhere fairly evenly. I have fairly slim hips and sort of naturally tall and slender kind of figure ( blessed for sure). But in the last 5 years some of the last 10 pounds went on my legs, both upper and lower. I've never had anything but skinny legs so that feels weird - (now they look like average legs but to me they look HUGE). My butt is too small and I have fat on my flanks that's very hard to get rid of. Maybe I should take the flank fat and get it injected into my butt? I'm not joking either. That's where I'd like the contouring to happen actually - even if I just get rid of the flank fat my derriere will 'appear' bigger or at least rounder.

I eat a low carb - Paleo style diet now for about 4 years. Initially it was fantastic and I felt wonderful- like I was 20 yrs old again - then I had some other debilitating health issues ( lyme? Chronic fatigue? adrenal fatigue) and I've fought my way back from that with everything from ozone therapy to infrared sauna to PEMF therapy and every supplement under the sun. But during that time I allowed myself to self medicate with food for about a year due to the stress and basically gained weight only because I was stuffing myself. But now my metabolic 'set point' has altered and I seem to be stuck at 160 lbs no matter what I eat. I am getting more disciplined this week and started a serious exercise regimen including weights to build muscle. I want to jump start my fat burning metabolism so I can change my set point.

As an aside, I was at the gym today and ended up talking to a 72 year old grey haired fairly small woman - she had not had any facial or body work done ( I'm guessing) but she was so slender and elegant with an amazing hourglass perfect figure. She said she'd been a ballet dancer and once you get that slim for that long your body just stays that way. She went on to recommend that I get in touch with a new gym opening in town called "Iron Will". That seemed appropriate given the rigorous discipline of ballet. She also told me she used to go to Gold's Gym until it shut down! What a remarkable woman I thought to myself - and an inspiration.
Offline Chris K  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:37:38 PM(UTC)

Woman
thank you everyone for these insights - I feel a little less freaked out about what I've read.

I am about 20 pounds from my ideal weight - and I tend to put weight on everywhere fairly evenly. I have fairly slim hips and sort of naturally tall and slender kind of figure ( blessed for sure). But in the last 5 years some of the last 10 pounds went on my legs, both upper and lower. I've never had anything but skinny legs so that feels weird - (now they look like average legs but to me they look HUGE). My butt is too small and I have fat on my flanks that's very hard to get rid of. Maybe I should take the flank fat and get it injected into my butt? I'm not joking either. That's where I'd like the contouring to happen actually - even if I just get rid of the flank fat my derriere will 'appear' bigger or at least rounder.

I eat a low carb - Paleo style diet now for about 4 years. Initially it was fantastic and I felt wonderful- like I was 20 yrs old again - then I had some other debilitating health issues ( lyme? Chronic fatigue? adrenal fatigue) and I've fought my way back from that with everything from ozone therapy to infrared sauna to PEMF therapy and every supplement under the sun. But during that time I allowed myself to self medicate with food for about a year due to the stress and basically gained weight only because I was stuffing myself. But now my metabolic 'set point' has altered and I seem to be stuck at 160 lbs no matter what I eat. I am getting more disciplined this week and started a serious exercise regimen including weights to build muscle. I want to jump start my fat burning metabolism so I can change my set point.

As an aside, I was at the gym today and ended up talking to a 72 year old grey haired fairly small woman - she had not had any facial or body work done ( I'm guessing) but she was so slender and elegant with an amazing hourglass perfect figure. She said she'd been a ballet dancer and once you get that slim for that long your body just stays that way. She went on to recommend that I get in touch with a new gym opening in town called "Iron Will". That seemed appropriate given the rigorous discipline of ballet. She also told me she used to go to Gold's Gym until it shut down! What a remarkable woman I thought to myself - and an inspiration.

all those symptoms in middle aged women is very common these days. everyone is over scheduled and sleep deprived these days and the body will rebel...some sooner than others. be careful trying to jump start weight loss and upsetting your body. go back to basic nutrition and see what your weight does. paleo, for some ppl, will cause adrenal crash. i've seen this happen with people i know. they brag about how amazing they feel and then some malady arises. a body using ketones for energy works for only some. and i dont think long term for most. you don't want to feel like crap but fit into jeans.
Offline makingchoices  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:16:58 PM(UTC)

absolutely Chris K - I did a lot of research after my crash. I also had thyroid issues and some PTSD. I have worked hard to get back to where I am and know moderation is important too. I've gone back to basic nutrition over the last year -eating organic and very nutrient dense. I feel great now and feel this is the moment to get back in shape. I was a horse trainer for years and active and moving all day long - now I sit with clients all day- which I love but they say 'sitting is the new smoking'. But I appreciate the caution from you. Sleep I really need to work on sleep -only get about 6 hours - just naturally only sleep that long.
Offline makingchoices  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:21:22 PM(UTC)

For those of you that have had lipo - is there anyone you used that you would recommend? Or someone you know of that is especially good at the body contouring type of liposuction.
Also, if you were going to take fat from somewhere on the body and then put it in the butt or breasts who would you go to?

The east coast would be preferable
Offline Robin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:59:16 PM(UTC)

For those of you that have had lipo - is there anyone you used that you would recommend? Or someone you know of that is especially good at the body contouring type of liposuction.
Also, if you were going to take fat from somewhere on the body and then put it in the butt or breasts who would you go to?

The east coast would be preferable

have you ever had fat grafting? you should have some idea of whether fat "takes" on you before you do fat to the Butt..

I would be very wary of doing fat to the breast. it's good to use if you have a relatively small, localized asymmetry that you want to correct ... but it creates issues with reading mammograms and sonograms.... so having it more broad based to increase breast overall size, you are sacrificing a lot in terms of your future ability to monitor your breast health for not much gain (they can only do about a half a cup size at most...)

There's a doctor in florida who does butt contouring by removal, but not adding back to the butt - he carves out the surrounding area making the butt look better by comparison. i have never met him, and i don't know anyone who had work done by him - i can't remember how i came to see his info... http://www.artlipo.com/

Offline maybellineo  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:14:24 PM(UTC)

One thing about liposuction you need to be aware of is that the age of 59, you will probably be left with saggy skin. Younger people have very elastic skin that bounces backs from liposuction, at 59 years old, not so much. Liposuction is not for weight loss, it is for stubborn localized fat deposits. I don't recommend lipo at your age. I am 62 btw and had lipo not long ago and was left with saggy skin so I am speaking from experience.
Offline makingchoices  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:25:00 PM(UTC)

Thank you for the warning. I've been wondering about that. I am going to ask a surgeon I would trust to be honest about that risk and see - my skin is surprisingly elastic for my age - perhaps because of my lifestyle and the bio-identical hormone replacement I've been on since I was in my early 40's. I'm a big anti-aging research buff. Mega doses of Vitamin C, glutathione etc...
Offline makingchoices  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:32:14 PM(UTC)

Robin, yes, I've had fat grafting to the face by Dr Little ( he took it from my waist) and it almost all took very well - and in fact after I gained weight my face(cheeks)look bigger! The only place it could have taken better were my temples.

I'm now thinking of doing liposuction only in the few stubborn spots I doubt will disappear from weight loss and exercise.

With all the impressive photos on the different doctors web sites showing really dramatic body sculpting results I think I subconsciously started leaning towards imagining it would be a quick fix and get all the fat off quickly.
Offline Mike D  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:42:29 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post

There's a doctor in florida who does butt contouring by removal, but not adding back to the butt - he carves out the surrounding area making the butt look better by comparison. i have never met him, and i don't know anyone who had work done by him - i can't remember how i came to see his info... http://www.artlipo.com/

I know several people who have gone to him for various lipo surgeries. All were very happy. None, however had the butt lipo that Robin describes. Only caveat is that he wasn’t initially trained as a surgeon. He has, however, been doing only lipo for years so he has the experience.
Offline Greg  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:03:41 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: maybellineo Go to Quoted Post
One thing about liposuction you need to be aware of is that the age of 59, you will probably be left with saggy skin. Younger people have very elastic skin that bounces backs from liposuction, at 59 years old, not so much. Liposuction is not for weight loss, it is for stubborn localized fat deposits. I don't recommend lipo at your age. I am 62 btw and had lipo not long ago and was left with saggy skin so I am speaking from experience.

I too have noticed this issue often when looking at lipo before and after photos--on more mature people the areas they've had lipo'd look like the skin didn't fully adjust (contact) to the reduced volume underneath that skin....so the skin there looks a bit loose/less smooth. But those people probably still look better in clothes after having areas reshaped via lipo than before.
Offline MissJ  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:30:02 AM(UTC)

Same age here. Had lipo over 20 years ago (when in much better physical condition than now). Had it with the head of the PS department at MGH in Boston. Had it to ISOLATED stubborn fat deposits to hips and saddle bags. When in the surgery room, one of the nurses asked; 'Why does SHE need lipo?' The nurse was on the overall pudgy side. Department head told her outright, I was ideal candidate because physically fit, no overall fat excess but ONLY stubborn isolated deposits.

Later, I asked him for some overall fat reduction to anterior thighs. He told me: 'If you do that, people on the beach will point to you as an example of someone who had lipo.'

Originally Posted by: maybellineo Go to Quoted Post

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)