logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Larazelle  
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:21:47 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
^^ This sounds like the show “Younger” on tv - it’s a cute show.

I am not a tv watcher so had not heard of this one - so googled it - the difference in "Younger" and my friends experience was that the woman in Younger was outed because she told Kelsey about her lie - whereas my friend did not tell a single soul while she was there - she did not even tell me till after she left working there. Of course my friends story would not make an exciting TV show as she had no "drama" about the experience- for her it was a social experiment!

Offline Robin  
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 4:24:02 PM(UTC)

yes, there are certain people who look younger for their age, and can pass that way, and others that look older due to weathered skin, etc.

I have watched younger and Sutton Foster is "youthful" looking... and in the show she wears hair in a more youthful style (long), dressing young, and she is lithe (Spectacular dancer - i have seen her on broadway).... however she does actually have the typical jaw- neckline softening that goes on in the 40s. But the rest of it adds up (body, hair, great facial structure, big eyes, broad smile), so that doesn't overwhelm the impression of her age.

With surgery and "turning back the clock", i think that sometimes people get excessively focused on one thing, and think that by obliterating that one "aging" feature, they look 10 years younger, but they miss all the other signals.

It's like saying that if you have an unattractive nose, getting it fixed will make you attractive. It might make you better than before, but the rest of the face will matter in the overall assessment too.

Everything exists in a context.

Offline makingchoices  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:14:54 AM(UTC)

I was constantly thought of as 10 years younger than I was my entire life. When I was getting to know someone, male or female, they were always shocked to find out my real age. I just got used to that. And I was very active and fit and generally in movement all the time. After the stress of divorce, and thermage destroying the fat in my face - within a few years I was shocked at what I saw in the mirror. That aged me psychologically more than anything. Then came my FL - and suddenly my emotional and mental state felt youthful again. I really think aging is a mixed bag and that we are all deeply conditioned to associate certain outward signs in ourselves with decline and aging and I'm quite grateful for the advances in cosmetic work and don't feel at all shy about taking advantage of them.

Oddly from the age of about 15 to early 20's I was pegged as older than I was !
Offline delilah  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:52:29 PM(UTC)

It feels good to look significantly younger, but there are psychological drawbacks. At least that was my experience.

So- Many years ago I noticed that when I'd look at celebrities and normal folks in candid still shots they didn't usually age gradually. Usually the way it appeared to me was that they'd look the same for years and then BAM... Suddenly the year came when they just aged YEARS in one go. This happened to both men and women, but to women it happened earlier and was more dramatic. Like Bruce Willis looked like he was in his late 30's for a long time and then within the span of 1.5 years he started looking his age. Then he started to look a lot better (HGH rumors). And I've seen many women go through this as well. I used to call this sudden change "hormone crash" because I figured that's what happened during those months. That the hormone levels dropped (as happens as we age) and then suddenly the person looks years older overnight.

At 37 I looked just like I did at 26 and it would cause discomfort at times. I got a lot of guys after me that were baby minded, but then they'd find out my real age and suddenly wouldn't be interested anymore. The way their eyes would bulge out of their heads in shock made me feel uncomfortable to the point where I would swallow when someone would ask my age because of the reaction I knew I'd receive. But don't get me wrong- I definitely enjoyed the effects that came with looking younger BEFORE people would find out. Attention from men was the least of it. Society in general is just nicer to younger people. Jobs are easier to come by at 26 than they are at 36 etc... That was another experience. Sitting down at an interview and having the interviewer all smiley and happy, until they see the date of birth on your photo ID and the smile fades.. and they ask if that's correct.. suddenly you don't hear from them again. Ahhh memories.

But at 38- within only a few months time, I no longer looked a decade younger. I suddenly went from looking 26 to 32 in a short timespan.. Still younger than I was, but I was so unprepared. It's still giving me panic attacks. Because I looked significantly younger for so long, and because it's what the outside world kept reflecting back to me, I realized a part of my brain actually BELIEVED I was still 26! Now that there was someone in her 30's suddenly looking back in the mirror and now that people didn't automatically assume I was in my 20's anymore it felt as if I lost years of my life. But that was a fantasy. I actually was closer to 40, so why didn't I believe that was my actual age and why didn't I make life choices accordingly?? I was living the life of a late 20's person at almost 40!! It was a harsh wake up call. I'd look in the mirror and see how much time I wasted. So that's one drawback of looking much younger. I don't think people who look their age go through this. I think they are reminded all the time by the world around them and the mirror of how time is passing and therefore prepare and make life choices accordingly.
Offline Larazelle  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:24:01 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: delilah Go to Quoted Post
It feels good to look significantly younger, but there are psychological drawbacks. At least that was my experience.

So- Many years ago I noticed that when I'd look at celebrities and normal folks in candid still shots they didn't usually age gradually. Usually the way it appeared to me was that they'd look the same for years and then BAM... Suddenly the year came when they just aged YEARS in one go. This happened to both men and women, but to women it happened earlier and was more dramatic. Like Bruce Willis looked like he was in his late 30's for a long time and then within the span of 1.5 years he started looking his age. Then he started to look a lot better (HGH rumors). And I've seen many women go through this as well. I used to call this sudden change "hormone crash" because I figured that's what happened during those months. That the hormone levels dropped (as happens as we age) and then suddenly the person looks years older overnight.

At 37 I looked just like I did at 26 and it would cause discomfort at times. I got a lot of guys after me that were baby minded, but then they'd find out my real age and suddenly wouldn't be interested anymore. The way their eyes would bulge out of their heads in shock made me feel uncomfortable to the point where I would swallow when someone would ask my age because of the reaction I knew I'd receive. But don't get me wrong- I definitely enjoyed the effects that came with looking younger BEFORE people would find out. Attention from men was the least of it. Society in general is just nicer to younger people. Jobs are easier to come by at 26 than they are at 36 etc... That was another experience. Sitting down at an interview and having the interviewer all smiley and happy, until they see the date of birth on your photo ID and the smile fades.. and they ask if that's correct.. suddenly you don't hear from them again. Ahhh memories.

But at 38- within only a few months time, I no longer looked a decade younger. I suddenly went from looking 26 to 32 in a short timespan.. Still younger than I was, but I was so unprepared. It's still giving me panic attacks. Because I looked significantly younger for so long, and because it's what the outside world kept reflecting back to me, I realized a part of my brain actually BELIEVED I was still 26! Now that there was someone in her 30's suddenly looking back in the mirror and now that people didn't automatically assume I was in my 20's anymore it felt as if I lost years of my life. But that was a fantasy. I actually was closer to 40, so why didn't I believe that was my actual age and why didn't I make life choices accordingly?? I was living the life of a late 20's person at almost 40!! It was a harsh wake up call. I'd look in the mirror and see how much time I wasted. So that's one drawback of looking much younger. I don't think people who look their age go through this. I think they are reminded all the time by the world around them and the mirror of how time is passing and therefore prepare and make life choices accordingly.

WHERE did you experience this? I know in the US because of age discrimination issues one is NOT asked one's age and does not have to present ID at the interview. When you get the job you present ID - but that is to Human Resources. That's the way I have always experienced it - but that is in Massachusetts - don't know if other States have different protocol, but I doubt it.