logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makingchoices  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:39:18 PM(UTC)

I'm curious what happens after facial plastic surgery as we age. The psychological aspect of getting into your 70s or 80's and looking much younger. I guess I'm curious about what the impact of that might be in socializing with your peers -those who don't get surgery and look their chronological age. Let's say a spouse even. I'm wondering if it gets a little weird to be aging, let's say in other areas of the body, like the skin, the hands, etc and have this overly youthful face.? Just putting the question out there to see if anyone's pondered this or heard of any studies on the psychological impacts etc. Sometimes I wonder if I'm becoming too focused on keeping the looks I had in my 40s or 30s rather than letting the character lines of living life mark my face.

I'm hitting 60 in February and that feels like a milestone.

Has anyone else thought about these issues?

Edited by user Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:57:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:37:24 PM(UTC)

Can you clarify what you are asking in terms of the TITLE.

Are you asking; 'What happens as we age but don't look it PHYSICALLY?' .... OR is the question; 'What happens as we age but don't ACT IT psychologically?' ???
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.
Offline makingchoices  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 12:40:27 PM(UTC)

I think I meant to say what are the psychological effects when we don't APPEAR to age physically yet we actually are -
Offline MissJ  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:36:46 PM(UTC)

Then I think you should be able to edit the title. If you can't, just list the new title (in a post) as you would like me to change it in the topic header.

Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post
I think I meant to say what are the psychological effects when we don't APPEAR to age physically yet we actually are -

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.
Offline Robin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:46:43 PM(UTC)

I think it depends on your psychological makeup and attitudes to start with. I’ve had friends in all different places on this topic following their surgeries.... Personally it has never bothered me. Although it was funny when my nephew told me that he thought i was younger than his mom (my sister) and didn’t understand how i could be her older sister. (Mercifully he did NOT say this in front of her)

And also i think as you get older you do have to pay even more attention to the overall harmony. There are two aspects to this.

First, as you get older, it is less and less feasible to look the same age - completely smooth face, no matter how well the surgery is done, just doesn’t look natural at 60 - there are just details that can’t be accomplished with surgery or fillers. So the things that are done are juxtaposed against the things that can’t be affected and there is a subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) dissonance

The second reason is the things you cite - if the hands or chest skin is weathered, wrinkled, etc, it’s incongruous with the face.

I’ll also throw in that a major factor in how “old” somebody appears is also in their posture and gait - even without seeing the face.
Offline makingchoices  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:07:30 PM(UTC)

Yes, posture and gait are big - I agree. And also the attitude and psyche of the person - how 'young' they feel internally. People also call that the 'spirit'. I still feel like I am in my early forties internally - though I'll be 60 in a few months. I can still throw 50 lb hay bales around and don't want to look in the mirror and see an old woman - so I am glad I got the first FL 8 year ago and am now planning for the second.Dancing
Offline Chris K  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 9:27:28 AM(UTC)

Woman
Let's crank that skin back real tight and partay!

I'm turning 64 in February and feel like I'm 11. I've become a more spiritually lo person. At 50 I read chicken soup for the sole. At 60 I read the alchemistry

I look good and my spirit is gold

I swim daily and sleep on a water bed so I move like I did in the discotheques in the 70s. Fluid girations
Offline makingchoices  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 10:10:32 AM(UTC)

Spiritually lo person??Eh?

funny :) .....
Offline Chris K  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 3:35:14 PM(UTC)

Woman
Spiritually lo person??Eh?

funny :) .....

Spirituality lo is a new age term meaning locomotive or in motion
Offline Nim  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 11:43:20 PM(UTC)

I think if you can keep your face looking fairly decent and youthful, and you are happy with the way PS has made you appear (as you say), the psycological effect is that it makes you FEEL you are younger than you really are.....It almost "tricks" the mind as you look in the mirror, and no longer see the crinkled neck, and jowls of age. You are no longer reminded with every glance in the mirror, you are old.....or you are aging. And I think that is a good thing.....mind over matter is very important in everything we do.

The rest of the body, IS the reminder.....a real bummer....but, having a younger face, does give you the incentive to get or stay in shape. So, I guess that's a psychological plus.
Skygirl5 from MMH
Offline Anya77  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:24:04 AM(UTC)

I'm curious what happens after facial plastic surgery as we age. The psychological aspect of getting into your 70s or 80's and looking much younger. I guess I'm curious about what the impact of that might be in socializing with your peers -those who don't get surgery and look their chronological age. Let's say a spouse even. I'm wondering if it gets a little weird to be aging, let's say in other areas of the body, like the skin, the hands, etc and have this overly youthful face.? Just putting the question out there to see if anyone's pondered this or heard of any studies on the psychological impacts etc. Sometimes I wonder if I'm becoming too focused on keeping the looks I had in my 40s or 30s rather than letting the character lines of living life mark my face.

I'm hitting 60 in February and that feels like a milestone.

Has anyone else thought about these issues?

Hmm I’ve never met anyone like this. I mean I’ve met many many people who have had amazing surgery (myself included) but not to the extent that I was ever fooled into thinking they were significantly younger. I was once on a message board where people started a thread moaning about how they were always mistaken for so much younger and getting carded and I kid you not; whenever they posted a photo; people always guessed them within 2-3 years of their age. I feel that the people that think they look 10-20 years younger than their age are mostly fooling themselves. Unless they are Christie Brinkley.
Offline Page  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 7:07:55 AM(UTC)

Ha ha Anya! You nailed that one. That woman looks anazing! I am constantly trying to figure out how and why she has managed to look so young and natural!
Offline Robin  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 9:43:54 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Anya77 Go to Quoted Post
Hmm I’ve never met anyone like this. I mean I’ve met many many people who have had amazing surgery (myself included) but not to the extent that I was ever fooled into thinking they were significantly younger. I was once on a message board where people started a thread moaning about how they were always mistaken for so much younger and getting carded and I kid you not; whenever they posted a photo; people always guessed them within 2-3 years of their age. I feel that the people that think they look 10-20 years younger than their age are mostly fooling themselves. Unless they are Christie Brinkley.

i think when are in your 30s and have surgery it's not going to make you look 20s.

When you are in your 40s or 50s and you have well done surgery it can remove specific aging signs like a a soft neck, that people unconsciously register when judging age. so i think it is feasible for someone to consistently be assumed as 10 or more years younger.

The key though is that the entire picture has to add up (as we have discussed here before...) Youthfulness in the face is transmitted by lack of sagging, lack of hollowness (good fat layer) and smooth skin. Surgery affects the sagging... and fillers or fat address the hollowness. If someone has weathered skin and no other signs of aging that ages them a lot to the casual viewer. If someone fills in one area and neglects others (like puffy cheeks but hollow eyes) it also transmits incongruence and not necessarily youthfulness.

Aside from face, body movement, gait, voice, mannerisms, and linguistics can also alter presentation of age.

In your example, if people are on a board discussing this kind of thing, it may be that the people doing the "judging" (age evaluation) are not not necessarily how an "average" person would perceive them....(they are more aware/conscious)....
Offline Larazelle  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 10:57:45 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
i think when are in your 30s and have surgery it's not going to make you look 20s.

When you are in your 40s or 50s and you have well done surgery it can remove specific aging signs like a a soft neck, that people unconsciously register when judging age. so i think it is feasible for someone to consistently be assumed as 10 or more years younger.

The key though is that the entire picture has to add up (as we have discussed here before...) Youthfulness in the face is transmitted by lack of sagging, lack of hollowness (good fat layer) and smooth skin. Surgery affects the sagging... and fillers or fat address the hollowness. If someone has weathered skin and no other signs of aging that ages them a lot to the casual viewer. If someone fills in one area and neglects others (like puffy cheeks but hollow eyes) it also transmits incongruence and not necessarily youthfulness.

Aside from face, body movement, gait, voice, mannerisms, and linguistics can also alter presentation of age.

In your example, if people are on a board discussing this kind of thing, it may be that the people doing the "judging" (age evaluation) are not not necessarily how an "average" person would perceive them....(they are more aware/conscious)....

It depends on whether it is early or late thirties - and actually even if you DON'T have surgery, if one is slender with good skin you can occasionally be mistaken for late twenties or even mid if you are 30- 34/35- after 36 its a bit of a stretch - lol-. I say this because besides the usual "markers" of youth there is something ineffable that is part of being a young or "youthful looking" person and people unconsciously recognize that. Having said that I do think that the MIND has a lot to do with aging and if one is "forced" to think of oneself as a certain age, then the body starts to appear to others as the age one has to pretend to be. I have a graphic example of this - a friend of mine working at a respected organization as a research assistant had her age mistakenly reduced by 10 years due to a clerical error. She decided to run with this and see how far she could get away with it - to do this she had to start thinking of herself as the age that was on her ID (32) as opposed to her real age (42) and also doing all things that someone who wanted to go back 10 years would do (like dressing younger, speaking younger, keeping younger friends) and most importantly, everyday of the 7 years she worked there she had to think of herself as 32. The upshot of this was that she started "youthing" instead of "aging" - I saw her myself and was amazed at the difference - I always remember this as an excellent example of "Mind over Matter"

Edited by user Sunday, December 10, 2017 11:30:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online Mike D  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 12:23:37 PM(UTC)

^^ This sounds like the show “Younger” on tv - it’s a cute show.