logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nim  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 8:06:25 PM(UTC)

My daughter wants to have what she says are milia removed by a derm. They are on her face,....but they are so very, very small, I needed a magnifying glass to see them. Supposedly the derm will "extract" them, and supposedly there is no scar or mark left on the skin. I told her she was crazy, and to keep exfoliating, and they will most likely go away if she is consistent. She is adamant about going to the derm to do this, I say it is not worth what may happen......... She is very concerned with her skin and gets crazy if there is one blemish, so I cannot imagine what would happen if a derm leaves little red marks from the milia "extraction" on her face! She will not go out for a year....seriously!

Does anyone know anything about this? They are the tinest of the tiny, ..........you cannot see them unless you use a magnifier. Is having a derm extract them a good idea? Anything else she can do instead of going the derm route? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions or feedback.........
Skygirl5 from MMH
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Robin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:24:22 AM(UTC)

i think it may better for her to go for a derm. First, from your description it may not even BE milia. Second, if it is the derm will tell her what to do/how to treat. It will have more "legitimacy" coming from the derm instead of you if the answer is - leave them alone. She probably should also be using a chemical exfoliant (AHA or BHA) but that should also be chosen/ recoed by derm depending on situation

Don't just go to any random derm. Find one who is really into the cosmetic dermatology aspect of the practice.
Offline MissJ  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:01:10 AM(UTC)

Agree with using the AHAs and BHAs. A good product is called 'Am Lactin'.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.
Online lucillenyc  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:37:34 AM(UTC)

I get milia sometimes and do my own extractions with a scalpel. I am NOT recommending your daughter do that - just want to say that the extraction marks go away faster than a normal blemish. In my experience, milia does not away on its own and exfoliation doesn't get rid of it either.

I agree with Robin about seeing a dermatologist since this could be something else.
Offline Robin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:12:49 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: lucillenyc Go to Quoted Post
I get milia sometimes and do my own extractions with a scalpel. I am NOT recommending your daughter do that - just want to say that the extraction marks go away faster than a normal blemish. In my experience, milia does not away on its own and exfoliation doesn't get rid of it either.

I agree with Robin about seeing a dermatologist since this could be something else.

I have also done that, but not for a large number/very small... a stray one once in a while. And yes, they do heal much faster than an extraction
Offline Greg  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:37:36 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
If they are in fact true milia, they should be extracted by a dermatologist. A milia is keratin/dead skin cells--trapped beneath the top layer of skin-- which have encapsulated and hardened into a very tiny white-ish 'ball' or what I'll call a 'pearl.' When extracted properly, the keratin 'pearl' comes out whole and round and hard. Proper extraction leaves no permanent mark--just a little red spot with pinhead scab that heals in a couple days. Although exfoliation and Retin A will help to prevent future milia from forming (by reducing dead skin cells being trapped under the skin), they will not usually eliminate existing milia that have already formed and hardened.
Offline Nim  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:06:27 PM(UTC)

Thanks, everyone for your insight and recommendations! Really appreciate it!
Skygirl5 from MMH