logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Larazelle  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:21:06 PM(UTC)

So I have been watching Utube videos on women who are in their sixties and look amazing because they say they used Retin A for 20+ years. I am thinking of restarting my Retin A regimen - back when I was in my 20s my insurance paid for it - then when I couldn't get it on prescription I could still buy it as it was affordable-- now Brandname Retin A is more than $400 for a 45gm tube - generic about half of that - however I am wondering if there is MUCH of a difference between the two - does everyone here use the generic? What about getting it online from places like Inhouse pharmacy? anyone bought it from there - and did it work well?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline lucillenyc  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 11:53:36 PM(UTC)

I get my brand name Retin-A from Mexico (manufactured in Germany) for about $25 for a 40 g tube. I used to order from Medsmex, though now I'm in Mexico often enough that I just pick it up there.

Originally Posted by: Larazelle Go to Quoted Post
So I have been watching Utube videos on women who are in their sixties and look amazing because they say they used Retin A for 20+ years. I am thinking of restarting my Retin A regimen - back when I was in my 20s my insurance paid for it - then when I couldn't get it on prescription I could still buy it as it was affordable-- now Brandname Retin A is more than $400 for a 45gm tube - generic about half of that - however I am wondering if there is MUCH of a difference between the two - does everyone here use the generic? What about getting it online from places like Inhouse pharmacy? anyone bought it from there - and did it work well?

Offline Larazelle  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:04:46 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: lucillenyc Go to Quoted Post
I get my brand name Retin-A from Mexico (manufactured in Germany) for about $25 for a 40 g tube. I used to order from Medsmex, though now I'm in Mexico often enough that I just pick it up there.

I just went onto Medsmex and found a .1 RetinA cream for $55.00 - however shipping was $24.00 - yikes - I guess its still better than paying $300+ for it here in the US. Generic would be less though - have you ever used the generic version?
Offline lucillenyc  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:30:56 AM(UTC)

Yeah, that's the price I pay in Mexico. The markup will be higher on the websites. I've never used a generic version, but since the active ingredient is the same, it should be fine.

Btw, if you are just starting Retin-A again, I think .1 will be too strong and could cause irritation. I use .05 and it's plenty effective. Less expensive, too.

Originally Posted by: Larazelle Go to Quoted Post
-----------
I just went onto Medsmex and found a .1 RetinA cream for $55.00 - however shipping was $24.00 - yikes - I guess its still better than paying $300+ for it here in the US. Generic would be less though - have you ever used the generic version?

Offline Annaport  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:43:20 PM(UTC)

I REALLY love Tazorac and am using that again and believe it far superior to retin A whether generic or brand name.
Without the manufacturers coupon (Allergan) and the prior authorization a 60 gram tube WOULD HAVE BEEN almost 800!!!

With the coupon and insurance approval it was 65 dollars for the 60 gram tube. I am using it one my crepey arms and legs and already notice a difference. Wish I had been using it more regularly but had stopped due to all my other life focuses like both my parents dying in a year's time.

Sigh..
Offline Larazelle  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:08:34 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Annaport Go to Quoted Post
I REALLY love Tazorac and am using that again and believe it far superior to retin A whether generic or brand name.
Without the manufacturers coupon (Allergan) and the prior authorization a 60 gram tube WOULD HAVE BEEN almost 800!!!

With the coupon and insurance approval it was 65 dollars for the 60 gram tube.
I am using it one my crepey arms and legs and already notice a difference. Wish I had been using it more regularly but had stopped due to all my other life focuses like both my parents dying in a year's time.

Sigh..

I used to use Tazaroc - but it made my face very red - I think it might be better for the body - can you explain the part I have bolded? where do you get the coupon? and I guess your MD has to authorize it because its not given to everyone?

Sorry to hear about your parents. I hope you have other family to support you.

Take care of yourself.
Offline Annaport  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 11:31:33 AM(UTC)

I find that I have to play around with administering or applying things like Tazorac or I too will have major redness. It's finding the sweet spot that's the trick. Do you need to wait longer after washing face to apply? Use a cream barrier before application? Should you lessen application frequency ? There are entire forum threads dedicated to feedback on this very topic.

The manufacturer gives you a special "coupon" with a bin and group code that you have to call Allergen to get. If you don't have it insurance will not cover the full amount. I was quoted 870 dollars without prior authorization and this coupon. With it my co-pay was 35 dollars for a 60 gram tube.

I've already noticed a significant difference on my arm and leg skin after only a month. I also do dry brushing on my skin.

You cannot use this stuff continuously as it can build up in your liver.

Thanks for the kind words and no I have no family other than a teen son and you know that 17 year olds are not exactly itching to hang out with mom.

I'll be ok. It's just been a rough patch and truly I have not put the focus on things regarding my appearance so much in the past year and a half. Finally coming up I'm for air.

Hope that helps.

Offline ITALIA  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:39:59 PM(UTC)

Have you ever had the waxy skin look from retin A usage? Is it something that passes or red flag to stop altogether.
Offline Greg  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:27:34 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: Annaport Go to Quoted Post

I was quoted 870 dollars without prior authorization and this coupon. With it my co-pay was 35 dollars for a 60 gram tube.

These high prices for prescription medications in the US illustrate the frustrating state of American health care. I am American but now live in London...I use a medication for eczema called Elidel which cost me over $700 per tube in the US, but cost me only $30 in the UK (brand, not generic). That is not through the NHS and not with insurance--it's simply the retail price for anyone. Similarly I use a anti-inflammatory skin medication called Soolantra--in the US a tube was $360--In the UK it costs me $12--no insurance and no NHS.
Offline Larazelle  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:04:44 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
These high prices for prescription medications in the US illustrate the frustrating state of American health care. I am American but now live in London...I use a medication for eczema called Elidel which cost me over $700 per tube in the US, but cost me only $30 in the UK (brand, not generic). That is not through the NHS and not with insurance--it's simply the retail price for anyone. Similarly I use a anti-inflammatory skin medication called Soolantra--in the US a tube was $360--In the UK it costs me $12--no insurance and no NHS.

What is the price of Retin A and Azelex in London?

Offline Hydroxyboy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:40:09 PM(UTC)

In Holland it is regulated by the government how much they can charge for some medications. Unbranded retina A (tretinoine) costs a few euro for a tube.
Offline Annaport  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 5:04:31 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ITALIA Go to Quoted Post
Have you ever had the waxy skin look from retin A usage? Is it something that passes or red flag to stop altogether.

NO. I have not. I am sure I have seen in it in others but I have not had it.
Offline JonathanA  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 10:41:33 AM(UTC)

My dermatologist recommended brand name Retin A over generic. I certainly noticed a difference once I switched over -- much less dryness and irritation even at higher concentrations.

Hope that helps!

-Jon