logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MissJ  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 10, 2017 6:30:12 PM(UTC)

I'm setting up this section for members who wish to discuss things they find on REAL SELF. RS is a PUBLIC board. Yet many RS links and discussion of them end up on the PRIVATE section of my boards. I see no reason why discussion of public entries found on RS need to be discussed in the private sections on this board. Private section is now reserved for MEMBERS of my board to discuss their OWN aesthetic issues, included but not limited to advice and post op surgery results.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:14:49 PM(UTC)

Word to the wise. I've never liked it when people would use the private sections to 'diss' the RS patients. It's like talking behind someone's back when those patients have been generous enough to share their photos in a public venue. Critiques are FINE and maybe they will benefit from them when they can see them. Thank you to those who have left their critiques or admiration (re results) up here.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Beholder  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:59:45 PM(UTC)

OK, sorry I think maybe this was aimed at me for posting the Pearson thing. I actually found him because his office is near my home and then when I looked him up I saw the Youtube Videos. I realize that he is a contributor to RealSelf too though ;0
Offline Anya77  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 3:13:22 AM(UTC)

@Beholder I've posted about a RS patient in the private chat before we had this section; many of us have. This is a good idea though.
Offline MissJ  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 12:08:48 PM(UTC)

Nothing to be sorry about. This particular post isn't aimed directly at you. I made a specific comment to your other post about Pearson patient. I want to transfer that post/string to this section.

It's like this--and again not directed to you--. For some time, people have been putting up links to RS of patients who shared their photos publicly. Not only RS but from other places where PS patients have publicly shared their photos.

There was just 'something' I didn't like about all the RS links on my board (this included other links to public patient photos) but was hard for me to articulate and I didn't want to 'forbid' links to RS.

Then I started thinking about it more as to 'What are the private sections of the boards for?' Well, with regard to PHOTOS, the private sections here are for people who DON'T want a LARGE audience as to their PS photos and who would NOT share them publicly like on RS. It isn't for RS patients (or other people who have their PS photos in public venue) who are NON-members here to get private advice commentary for which they are not going to be the recipients of anyway. Also was noticing that people who were members of here and RS were giving commentary they would never give on there or they were PROXYing for friends on RS (non members here).

Then it hit me. The 'something' I didn't like about all the RS links was that because I had NO public section to discuss publicly shared photos of OTHER people (not members here),

a, those patients who shared their photos publicly would not be the recipients of GOOD advice when given here in private discussions about their public photos.

b, in some situations, 'privacy' was encouraging people to say things they NEVER would have said on RS or if the person were a member here.

c, in cases where a member here would proxy for a RS friend, I don't like that.

Again, private sections of my boards are to BENEFIT those who seek advice as to their OWN situation or relative to their OWN photos who would NOT want to share in public venue or to LARGE audience. In some discussions, it was being used as shield to say things one would never say IF that RS member (or anyone else who shares photo publicly) were also a member here.

Ultimately, I think the discussion about 'stuff you find on RS' (or re, other public photo shares) is very GOOD and I think that better advice is rendered HERE than there. When discussions revolve around photos that patients graciously SHARE in the PUBLIC venue (usually on RS), I feel that they should be the recipients of the feedback here that revolves around their photos. You know, if photos RS members (and others in public venue) have been of benefit to members here (doesn't matter for what...to avoid their doctors...to go to their doctors..to sharpen eye as to scars...whatever...) some benefit should be returned to them. That benefit would be to give them access to the feedback/commentary their photos got here.

As for 'critiques' about RS, I have nothing to say about them that I would not openly broadcast publicly here. I would like that to be similar for other members here who would like to comment about the stuff they see on RS where people share their photos.

Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
OK, sorry I think maybe this was aimed at me for posting the Pearson thing. I actually found him because his office is near my home and then when I looked him up I saw the Youtube Videos. I realize that he is a contributor to RealSelf too though ;0