logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline UrbanEast  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:02:54 AM(UTC)

My eyes have been red for the past few months, and my ophthalmologist sent me to an allergist. Allergist tend will probably do a skin prick test, which involves a serious of, well, skin pricks on the back or arm. Has anyone done this? Did it leave a scar of any kind?

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Greg  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:50:28 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
I have had this type of allergy testing. No need to worry, it doesn't scar. The skin pricks are very shallow and heal quickly. I would add though that not all allergists agree that the skin prick method of testing is the most accurate one.
Offline Mike D  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:34:10 AM(UTC)

I agree with all that Greg says. You will be fine - they are very shallow skin punctures and if you react it ends up like a mosquito bite for a few hours.
Offline Larazelle  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:09:31 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
I have had this type of allergy testing. No need to worry, it doesn't scar. The skin pricks are very shallow and heal quickly. I would add though that not all allergists agree that the skin prick method of testing is the most accurate one.

I've had this done and then taken allergy shots for 3+ years - they helped some but did not totally clear my allergies...

What are the other more accurate ways of testing allergies?
Offline Chris K  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:15:02 AM(UTC)

Woman
I know sterlingrose had allergy testing but the allergist couldn't find an area hair-free, due to her overzealous use of testosterone.

They ended up using the bottom of her foot.
Offline UrbanEast  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 9:57:55 PM(UTC)

Thanks Greg and MikeD. That helps.

Greg, what is considered more accurate than a skin prick besides an IgE panel?
Offline Greg  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:45:55 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: UrbanEast Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Greg and MikeD. That helps.

Greg, what is considered more accurate than a skin prick besides an IgE panel?

Some allergists feel that Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay testing, and Immunoblot testing, are more precise. Also, for distinguishing between "allergy" versus "intolerance," some trace a sub-class of IgG antibodies, called IgG4. If your allergist is forward thinking, it's possible that he or she could be referring to these very testing techniques under the more patient-friendly term of "IgE panel"....possible, but I think unlikely. Good luck! Allergies suck! I have them too.
Offline UrbanEast  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:28:14 PM(UTC)

The skin prick test was fine. But I just had the 48 hour patch test. Only 1-2 of the potential allergens left any real redness, but the adhesive tape left strips of red. (The PA was all, "Oh my, you have such sensitive skin!") How do I avoid postinflammatory hyperpigmentation from the adhesive? If I had been given a warning about this, I never would have done this.

Greg, thanks for the info. Nah, he wasn't referring to anything outside the usual IgE. I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Edited by user Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:02:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified