logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nightowl  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 7:17:13 PM(UTC)

I told a close friend about my surgery with Dr M. She's the only one who knows the details apart from my husband and members on this board (and Marten's staff).
She likes my results and phoned me last night to tell me she found a "much better deal" with a doctor in Mexico (San Miguel de Allende/Marino marketing machine) and that she's decided to book for August and her budget is K8. I referred her to some reviews on realself with details of good and bad surgery with this doctor, and she seems rather annoyed with me and said I was being negative aka racist about doctors in Mexico. This was NOT what I meant, which I tried to explain to her, but she feels I'm being closed minded by saying that surgery abroad is probably not a good idea. Would you just drop the subject and let her make her own mistakes or broach the subject one last time to dissuade someone you care about from possibly making a huge error?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Geijutsu  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 7:38:14 PM(UTC)

Man
I think you've done your job by not only giving your own opinion but referring her to his own online reputation. It's likely that you won't be able to dissuade someone who cries racism (wtf?) when you're simply providing them with the facts.
UserPostedImage

Offline nightowl  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 8:28:15 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Geijutsu Go to Quoted Post
I think you've done your job by not only giving your own opinion but referring her to his own online reputation. It's likely that you won't be able to dissuade someone who cries racism (wtf?) when you're simply providing them with the facts.

Thanks Geijutsu, my rational brain is telling me the same. I'm just worried that the outcome is going to be far below her expectations and then it will be revisions etc. and will cost far more than just going to a GOOD doctor here and getting it done right the first time.

Online MissJ  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 8:48:03 PM(UTC)

There are some good docs in Mexico. One's first name is 'Arturo'. I forgot his last name. There is another too (forgot his name). They show up at ASAPS meetings and learn from the top docs. One just has to be careful of the surgery abroad outfits. It is SAME like you do here which is one has to do research to see IF the doc in another country is a good one. The good ones are usually members of ISAPS which is international branch of ASAPS.
If this post has been helpful, consider clicking on the link below and buying something from my f**king Amazon portal.

http://www.amazon.com/?t...surgery.com%2Fmissjforum

Offline nightowl  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 9:11:38 PM(UTC)

Thanks Miss J. This doctor who is promoted by Pat Marino is not on the ISAPS list. It may be the sensible thing for me to send her the link so she can at least select a doctor off the ISAPS list and still go to someone that falls within her budget.

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
There are some good docs in Mexico. One's first name is 'Arturo'. I forgot his last name. There is another too (forgot his name). They show up at ASAPS meetings and learn from the top docs. One just has to be careful of the surgery abroad outfits. It is SAME like you do here which is one has to do research to see IF the doc in another country is a good one. The good ones are usually members of ISAPS which is international branch of ASAPS.

Online MissJ  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 9:28:29 PM(UTC)

She just has to stay clear of one of those surgery OUTFITS where a travel agency is middle man and have some REASON to PICK the doctor. ISAPS members are usually with the program as far as advances go. Marten teaches his technique to many doctors. See if the doctor your friend selected took one of his courses.

Originally Posted by: nightowl Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Miss J. This doctor who is promoted by Pat Marino is not on the ISAPS list. It may be the sensible thing for me to send her the link so she can at least select a doctor off the ISAPS list and still go to someone that falls within her budget.

If this post has been helpful, consider clicking on the link below and buying something from my f**king Amazon portal.

Offline Chris K  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 9:47:49 PM(UTC)

Woman
i would encourage this friends to download a spanish to english translator on her smartphone to best help her communicate with her surgeon abroad.
Online Greg  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 4:47:52 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
I think you already did as much as a responsible friend can do. Friends certainly help and and support each other, but still we are all ultimately responsible for our own decisions, and that self-responsibility is part of how one learns and grows as a human being.
Online Hoss  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:02:26 AM(UTC)

I would stage an intervention. Get her round to yours, and have a couple of episodes of Botched on the TV in the background. Most of the serious mess ups on that series seem to have been done in Mexico. Talk to her not about the training differences between the US and Mexico, and make her realise that is not just a case of blindly saying 'America' is better. Let her understand why America is better. And then if she still decides to go to Mexico, you really have done all you can.
Offline Chris K  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:08:14 AM(UTC)

Woman
have her download the app for translator on her smartphone to ensure accurate communication

have her bring a RX for cipro and gauze and so on and so forth
Offline Robin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:23:13 AM(UTC)

if her budget is 8K, she probably isn't "hearing" you because she just can't possibly afford someone like Marten. She won't get much for 8K in the US. One option for her would be to have a FL performed at a teaching hospital by a plastic surgery resident.

There are reasons why it's a better idea to stay in the US which have to do with aftercare. then there are general guidelines about picking a surgeon... credentials, not falling for a hype/marketing machine etc. if you've done all that, there's not much more that you can do. You can give her information, and not judge, but that's it. You can't live her life for her.

Online MissJ  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:20:53 PM(UTC)

OK, Just found the 'Arturo' I met years back when I was standing outside the lecture hall at a Rhino Society meeting where Dr. G was also speaking. I mention this because the ISAPS list had 2 'Arturos' and those were not the ones I met. Anyway, this Arturo is mostly a nose guy and member of Rhino Society. This is NOT a 'rec' or referral for the doctor. Just to say there are some docs in Mexico who are in same societies, go to same meetings as the well know US 'top docs'.

http://www.escirugiaplastica.com/eng/whoAmI.html

Offline Chris K  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:36:16 PM(UTC)

Woman
i saw on botched tijuana surgeons use ice packs to numb the area

maybe your friend can bring some topical lidocaine to make the procedure more comfortable.
Online Hoss  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 4:40:01 PM(UTC)

OK, Just found the 'Arturo' I met years back when I was standing outside the lecture hall at a Rhino Society meeting where Dr. G was also speaking. I mention this because the ISAPS list had 2 'Arturos' and those were not the ones I met. Anyway, this Arturo is mostly a nose guy and member of Rhino Society. This is NOT a 'rec' or referral for the doctor. Just to say there are some docs in Mexico who are in same societies, go to same meetings as the well know US 'top docs'.

http://www.escirugiaplastica.com/eng/whoAmI.html

I think some of his rhino work looks OK. His facelift scars however are horrendous. If this is one of the best in Mexico, I really would worry for your friend!!!
Offline Chris K  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 4:46:21 PM(UTC)

Woman
you may want to recommend she bring mederma scar treatment to use immediately after surgery.

also, sun is very strong in mexcio because its close to the equator. have her bring SPF 50+. you don't want sun on those ghastly facelift scars.