logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline george  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:36:41 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/26/2008(UTC)
Posts: 827
This is more of a philosophical or ethical question. But facial aesthetics, enhancement, etc, are a form of cheating. Sure, these procedures make us feel better but we would be lying to ourselves if we said that we didn't do it so we can attract others.

However in reality we are trying to trick biology. We often end up with people of same attractiveness level but plastic surgery helps us by tricking better looking people into dating us doesn't it?

This is just the beginning but in the future we will have the technology to actually design babies and make them more attractive.

Is my view wrong? If so how?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Chris K  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:14:40 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/17/2008(UTC)
Posts: 8,236
Woman
Location: miss j's board
don't over think plastic surgery.


as long as you're presenting a authentic personality, you are genuine.



everyone's face is ephemeral anyway. by aging, plastic surgery, suffering, whatever.
Offline Quno  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:24:59 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/21/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,281
Ah, the 'what would a member of the opposite sex think' question. That's all it really boils down to.

Extensive PS is best suited to people who are single minded and/or too desperate to give a shit.
Offline george  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:44:34 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/26/2008(UTC)
Posts: 827
Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post
don't over think plastic surgery.


as long as you're presenting a authentic personality, you are genuine.



everyone's face is ephemeral anyway. by aging, plastic surgery, suffering, whatever.


Originally Posted by: Quno Go to Quoted Post
Ah, the 'what would a member of the opposite sex think' question. That's all it really boils down to.

Extensive PS is best suited to people who are single minded and/or too desperate to give a shit.


i guess that what I am trying to ask is when is it unethical?

I mean im sure that if I married a beautiful girl and we had babies, and the babies come out unattractive, she would feel tricked in knowing that the only reason she found me attractive was because I got jaw implants, or cheek implants or whatever.

I guess you can argue that makeup is another way of tricking biology but its not as taboo as plastic surgery is.
Offline KenCarson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:08:48 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/6/2009(UTC)
Posts: 888
Man
United States
People wear make up, dye their hair, wear braces... This is just one step further toward improving our looks, or as you call it "cheating". Where do you draw the line?

Whether it's cheating is a matter of perspective.

I think it's only cheating with respect to evolution (natural selection). The best looking are most likely to further the species - it's survival of the fittest. Instead, with PS it's the ones who are most able to afford it, most focused on their appearance, most insecure in some cases, or perfectionist in others... It's just a different demographic, not necessarily a "bad" one.

Personally, I have no problem with it, obv.

Shouldn't this be in soc/psych, MissJ?
Offline Geijutsu  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:49:15 AM(UTC)
Rank: Unapproved: write to MissJ521@aol.com for approval

Joined: 4/28/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,624
Man
I often pander that question myself. The way I see it, if you can find a way to make peace with the way you were born then more power to you. Some people get plastic surgery for the opportunities it brings; attracting hotter/younger/more people, getting better job opportunities..etc, whatever the objective it is depends on the person.

I think Chris best describes it, striving to be your most authentic self is probably the best thing one can do. Our faces are not who we really are, are they? What we look on the outside is merely a vessel..sometimes a pretty one, sometimes not so much. Nobody chose how they look, and altering our appearances have always been part of our experience. Be it wearing tight corsets, getting a haircut, working out, dressing well..the list goes on. I realize that plastic surgery is not exactly the same as getting a haircut, but ultimately both are done to tidy up that vessel.

I think how you approach plastic surgery is more of a relevant question than surgery itself. I've seen folks who get ps and make it all about their existence. They remain too preoccupied with their outer shell and are frankly too boring and juvenile to sit with because they've got no substance. They wasted all their time and energy on this one objective and they've turned it into their identity. But I've also seen people who understand the advantages of getting work done, they recognize that the pretty face they bought is just a tiny aspect of who they really are. They understand the power of image and take advantage of it but once they get it out of the way, they move on with their lives and do the other heavy work which is ultimately on the inside.

I guess if one to look at ps as their sole salvation then they're in for a rude awakening. It might be fun to get more noticed and like what you see in the mirror, but eventually the novelty wears off and if you don't recognize that you need to do some work on the inside then you might fall into the pitfull of always getting more ps to get your fix of that initial high.
UserPostedImage


Offline MissJ  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:45:20 AM(UTC)
Rank: Administration

Joined: 5/14/2008(UTC)
Posts: 25,383
Originally Posted by: KenCarson Go to Quoted Post


Shouldn't this be in soc/psych, MissJ?


YES. Done.
If this post has been helpful, consider clicking on the link below and buying something from my f**king Amazon portal.

http://www.amazon.com/?t...surgery.com%2Fmissjforum



Offline dao  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:51:59 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/7/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,986
I would call it cheating only if it tricked someone in a way that would actually affect them negatively. In most cases it won't, even if having children. If having the most attractive children possible is important, then it would be cheating if you kept that from them. But I don't think most people care about that and PS doesn't change our looks dramatically enough in most cases.
Offline Sylvan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:24:55 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 10/20/2013(UTC)
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by: george Go to Quoted Post
i guess that what I am trying to ask is when is it unethical?

I mean im sure that if I married a beautiful girl and we had babies, and the babies come out unattractive, she would feel tricked in knowing that the only reason she found me attractive was because I got jaw implants, or cheek implants or whatever.

I guess you can argue that makeup is another way of tricking biology but its not as taboo as plastic surgery is.


I do think you should disclose it if you intend to have kids. Otherwise, it's not hugely important.
Offline Meeka  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:11:35 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/3/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,583
Location: UK
I don't think it always works that good looking people have good looking kids. I think it makes sense to disclose any major surgeries to a future spouse tho.
Offline dao  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 12:20:08 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/7/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,986
I guess I disagree with a lot of people that looks matter for having kids. As for me, I could have kids with an average looking person, but they must be smart or very smart. And PS has nothing to do with that. I had a good friend who was very good looking ask about us having kids, and I thought no way. I'd only have kids with a guy who was very smart.
Offline Larazelle  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 1:22:15 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2,896
Originally Posted by: dao Go to Quoted Post
I guess I disagree with a lot of people that looks matter for having kids. As for me, I could have kids with an average looking person, but they must be smart or very smart. And PS has nothing to do with that. I had a good friend who was very good looking ask about us having kids, and I thought no way. I'd only have kids with a guy who was very smart.


Of course having beauty AND brains would be the best combination - lol - however if I had a choice with my kids I would rather they be a bit MORE intelligent than beautiful - I think in the long run beautiful people are not as happy as intelligent ones - however with women beauty is a great asset - with men not so much...I do like very smart men too - my last bf was a physicist.

Offline dao  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 1:44:40 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/7/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,986
Originally Posted by: Larazelle Go to Quoted Post
---------------
Of course having beauty AND brains would be the best combination - lol - however if I had a choice with my kids I would rather they be a bit MORE intelligent than beautiful - I think in the long run beautiful people are not as happy as intelligent ones - however with women beauty is a great asset - with men not so much...I do like very smart men too - my last bf was a physicist.



I totally agree. I'm almost too old to have kids, but my sister has had six kids. She said she had to marry someone smarter than her. She got a degree in chemical engineering. Then her boyfriend was intimidated since he was just a chemistry major. So she met a guy who got a double math and engineering degree from Duke in 3 yrs and a masters engineering degree from Stanford in one year. She had six kids with him. Cute and super smart kids.
Offline Sylvan  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 1:55:26 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 10/20/2013(UTC)
Posts: 311
Why choose? Whistle I'd go for both!
Offline nightowl  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 6:47:37 PM(UTC)
Rank: Member

Joined: 8/11/2014(UTC)
Posts: 278
I suppose I view these things as self-improvement, just like house improvements. Its all relative and you should do what your conscience dictates. Obviously if you have some sort of physically severe issue you fixed with plastic surgery that MAY affect your future children, it might be wise to mention it to your spouse. Otherwise its a strictly personal matter, like going to the gym, wearing makeup, working on a speech impediment.
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
Previous Topic Next Topic
2 Pages12>
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.