logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jeannine  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 9:11:59 PM(UTC)

United States
Oh my....just typed a very involved white phlox/carnation post and it vanished on me!! Will summarize...

I'm not too familiar with phlox used in perfumerie but Neil Morris makes one called Seaflower with "wild phlox" listed as a note it contains. I haven't tried it yet but the description doesn't really appeal to me. Aquatic, suntan lotion, etc., not sure you'd like it based on the others that you mentioned.

If it's carnation you love you'll be able to do a search on basenotes or fragrantica and come up with thousands that contain carnation. It's hard to decipher the results sometimes though and it seems like you're looking for carnation dominant scents.

Have you tried Floris Malmasion? It's discontinued and highly sought after but can still be found on ebay if you love it. I can sent you a sample if sounds like your thing. Here's a link to it's description and reviews:

http://www.fragrantica.c...oris/Malmaison-5535.html

Let me look over my notes and I'll get back to you a with a good list of carnation heavy blends.
Offline MissJ  
#17 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 10:21:30 PM(UTC)

That's the thing about scents with dominant carnation notes--they get discontinued. There used to be some Soviet carnation scent but can't remember the name of it and when I did, it too was hard to find.

Looks promising because it's listed as being similar to Bellodgia
which is the one I like but hard to find. A few years back the perfume guy at Barneys NYC suggested the; Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red: Carnation Comme des Garcons for women but I just hated that red bottle. That's listed as similar in the website you showed.

They have the base notes as: musk and patchouli but I HATE those notes. But of course, sometimes they stay hidden.

I actually don't know if Hungarian white flox is a staple of perfume. I just know I loved that flower and the flower itself, smelled better when it came from Hungarian soil than it does when I find it around here.

I WONDER what happened to the CARNATION and the Carnation family flowers as not being popular in perfumery anymore.

UNFORTUNATELY, one scent I like that smells like a mixture of carnation and stargazer lilly is JAR 'Golconda'. It's like WHY is the carnation so expensive. It's not as difficult to produce as a rose or jasmine.

Originally Posted by: Jeannine Go to Quoted Post
Oh my....just typed a very involved white phlox/carnation post and it vanished on me!! Will summarize...

I'm not too familiar with phlox used in perfumerie but Neil Morris makes one called Seaflower with "wild phlox" listed as a note it contains. I haven't tried it yet but the description doesn't really appeal to me. Aquatic, suntan lotion, etc., not sure you'd like it based on the others that you mentioned.

If it's carnation you love you'll be able to do a search on basenotes or fragrantica and come up with thousands that contain carnation. It's hard to decipher the results sometimes though and it seems like you're looking for carnation dominant scents.

Have you tried Floris Malmasion? It's discontinued and highly sought after but can still be found on ebay if you love it. I can sent you a sample if sounds like your thing. Here's a link to it's description and reviews:

http://www.fragrantica.c...oris/Malmaison-5535.html

Let me look over my notes and I'll get back to you a with a good list of carnation heavy blends.

If this post has been helpful, consider clicking on the link below and buying something from my f**king Amazon portal.

http://www.amazon.com/?t...surgery.com%2Fmissjforum

Offline nightowl  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:26:48 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
That's the thing about scents with dominant carnation notes--they get discontinued. There used to be some Soviet carnation scent but can't remember the name of it and when I did, it too was hard to find.

Looks promising because it's listed as being similar to Bellodgia
which is the one I like but hard to find. A few years back the perfume guy at Barneys NYC suggested the; Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red: Carnation Comme des Garcons for women but I just hated that red bottle. That's listed as similar in the website you showed.

They have the base notes as: musk and patchouli but I HATE those notes. But of course, sometimes they stay hidden.

I actually don't know if Hungarian white flox is a staple of perfume. I just know I loved that flower and the flower itself, smelled better when it came from Hungarian soil than it does when I find it around here.

I WONDER what happened to the CARNATION and the Carnation family flowers as not being popular in perfumery anymore.

UNFORTUNATELY, one scent I like that smells like a mixture of carnation and stargazer lilly is JAR 'Golconda'. It's like WHY is the carnation so expensive. It's not as difficult to produce as a rose or jasmine.

The reason Golconda is so expensive is partly because it carries the jeweler, JAR's (Joel Arthur Rosenthal) name. It is very beautiful (best stargazer fragrance I have smelled) and I'm glad Bergdorf started to sell JAR a few years ago, because before that you could only buy the JAR fragrances at the JAR shop in Paris. Jardenia and Bolt Of Lightning are also lovely.

I agree about the CdG Red Series Carnation. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the noxious Giorgio 'big hair' scent of the 80's.

A carnation that I love is L'Artisan's Oeillet Sauvage - it was discontinued but is back again, and I think you can buy it at Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman.
Here is a description:
http://www.luckyscent.co...ge-by-lartisan-parfumeur

Royal Oeillet Eau de Parfum by Oriza L. Legrand is another beautiful carnation, one that I have in my collection:
http://www.luckyscent.co...illet-by-oriza-l-legrand
Neither of these have musk or patchouli, as these are notes I dislike, too.
Offline MissJ  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:07:27 PM(UTC)

Wow. You know your stuff. I need to save this post so I can try out some things.
If this post has been helpful, consider clicking on the link below and buying something from my f**king Amazon portal.

Offline rust1975  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2016 8:38:41 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Jeannine Go to Quoted Post
My unchanging favorite of all time is Guerlain Mitsouko.

Thought I'd share this, as I recently read it in another forum:

"The production of two of the most recognized and important Guerlain fragrances [ Mitsouko and L'heure Bleue] is currently suspended in pure parfum. What happened was the supplier for one of the bases can't make it anymore and this base is now IFRA restricted.

The new replacement the supplier proposed smelled like **** so production was completely stopped. It is currently still stopped, and Thierry is "taking his time" figuring out how to correct this problem. He refuses to release a inferior product. Lot of pressure on him and angry emails from customers who don't understand the whole story."

So you might want to stock up on Mitsouko while you can.
Offline nightowl  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2016 11:22:25 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rust1975 Go to Quoted Post
Thought I'd share this, as I recently read it in another forum:

"The production of two of the most recognized and important Guerlain fragrances [ Mitsouko and L'heure Bleue] is currently suspended in pure parfum. What happened was the supplier for one of the bases can't make it anymore and this base is now IFRA restricted.

The new replacement the supplier proposed smelled like **** so production was completely stopped. It is currently still stopped, and Thierry is "taking his time" figuring out how to correct this problem. He refuses to release a inferior product. Lot of pressure on him and angry emails from customers who don't understand the whole story."

So you might want to stock up on Mitsouko while you can.

This is true for nearly all the classic fragrances - they've been reformulated due to IFRA. Oakmoss was frequently used in the base notes and now its banned - so they have to make a chemical/synthetic that smells like it. Unfortunately getting synthetic oakmoss to smell like the real thing is difficult. If you sniff a vintage Chanel, Creed, Patou or Guerlain, they smell *very* different to the newly formulated ones. Truly just shadows of their former beautiful selves :( Apparently a small handful of consumers were allergic to oakmoss so we all have to suffer since it was banned in 2015.
Offline MissJ  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2016 11:00:44 AM(UTC)

Seems like most of the notes i like are discontinued. Oakmoss was one of them. Used to be in 'Ma Griff'.

Originally Posted by: nightowl Go to Quoted Post
This is true for nearly all the classic fragrances - they've been reformulated due to IFRA. Oakmoss was frequently used in the base notes and now its banned - so they have to make a chemical/synthetic that smells like it. Unfortunately getting synthetic oakmoss to smell like the real thing is difficult. If you sniff a vintage Chanel, Creed, Patou or Guerlain, they smell *very* different to the newly formulated ones. Truly just shadows of their former beautiful selves :( Apparently a small handful of consumers were allergic to oakmoss so we all have to suffer since it was banned in 2015.

Offline Sylvan  
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 5:47:21 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rust1975 Go to Quoted Post
Bobbi Brown Beach is a good one too. Or at least, it used to be. I believe it's been reformulated.

Hanae Morae has two similarly named scents "HiM" and "HM." The HM one is more universally liked, though off the top of my head I can't remember which I've smelled and prefer. Spicebomb is good, but once I got the image of potpurri into my head, I couldn't shake it. Bulgari's Man in Black is a good, more grown up version of it.

Read some reviews of Man in Black, all of which look good, with the exception of one stating the scent doesn't have much longevity. Is this true in your experience? I've been looking for a good fragrance for a while, so far the one I've liked best is D&G The One and Boss's Bottled but I find the latter a bit too sweet in its scent.
Offline rust1975  
#24 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 5:11:37 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Sylvan Go to Quoted Post
Read some reviews of Man in Black, all of which look good, with the exception of one stating the scent doesn't have much longevity. Is this true in your experience? I've been looking for a good fragrance for a while, so far the one I've liked best is D&G The One and Boss's Bottled but I find the latter a bit too sweet in its scent.

Man in Black was a solid performer for me, with about 6-7 hours longevity and up to 3-4 for projection.

I can strongly recommend L'Occitane's Eau de Baux as well in the same vein.

Not a fan of The One as I find it too linear and Boss Bottled for the same reason. Boss Bottled has a Boss Bottled Oud version that might temper the sweetness you're concerned about, but I've never smelled it. Lanvin's Avant Garde is much more interesting and surprisingly a legit cheapie that doesn't smell cheap one bit. I own a few Creeds, By Kilians and other niches and still rank Avant Garde as my favorite quality-wise and smell wise.
Offline Delphi  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:28:25 PM(UTC)

I can't stick to one thing...but I'm back to my usual Reverie Au Jardin lately by Tauer...Indigo by Nest Fragrances...I like Inis a lot (an Irish unisex one - very fresh) - and I even pulled out the ancient Calvin Klein "Truth" the other day! I used up my Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue...I know everyone wears it but it's nice and clean...also inoffensive...a good office scent...not sure I'd repurchase it though...it didn't totally wow me.
Offline bag2  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2016 9:03:43 PM(UTC)

Our is a grt scent and many after is 1 of the best natural perfumer creators around. I'll be training with her in a few weeks to make my own. Natural perfumes are different and last longer on me.
Offline UrbanEast  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:15:26 AM(UTC)

Benefit So Hooked on Carmella, a fruity oriental. Now discontinued but you can still find it.