logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rust1975  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:04:35 AM(UTC)

Me, I'm a fan of darker, warmer and sweeter scents ... which doesn't always jive with the hot Texas climate but I don't care. Specifically Yves St. Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme, Creed Aventus (pineapple, smoke and birchy woods), Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and my favorite Lanvin Avant Garde (beeswax + tobacco based). I also enjoy liquor-y fragrances that emphasize brandy notes. Some good ones are Diesel Fuel For Life Spirit and Carolina Herrera's latest CH Men Privé.

A favorite on the ladies is Juicy Couture's Viva la Juicy Gold Couture and Diesel's LoverDose Red Kiss. Lancome's La Nuit Tresor is pretty good too. And a recent discovery for me is Elizabeth & James' Nirvana Black -- I'd say that is a must-smell for those who haven't tried it yet. Dark, brooding, sweet sandalwood, but still decidedly feminine and seductive.

Anybody wanna share their signature picks? Recommendations?
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Larazelle  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:57:22 AM(UTC)

My signature perfume is "Jasmine Rouge" - by Tom Ford - its very expensive ($270 for 1.7oz) but you can get it from Ebay for less. If you like Jasmine then this is it for you - however its not a "simple" Jasmine perfume - it has a lot of complexity to it so you can't really pinpoint what it is you are smelling - however it does not have good sillage -

Jasmine Rouge is a "heavy,winter" perfume though - good for long dark sexy nights ..lol - for the summer I use Diorissimo by Dior - and this is hard to get - Its Lilly of the Valley and has good sillage - The thing about sillage is that "the good ones leave, the bad ones stay" - which is what MissJ says about fat grafting..lol..

Speaking of MissJ I don't know if she remembers but a few years ago she gifted me a big bottle of "Jaipur" by Boucheron - its an unusual, complex perfume ... like MissJ herself.

Flowerbomb is okay - it had a lot of hype so I sampled it from Sephora - didn't care a lot for it.

GUCCI - Eau de Parfum II always gets a good comment when I wear it - but I don't like the scent. I wear perfume for myself - not other people.
Offline MissJ  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:15:20 AM(UTC)

Not sure they make Diorissimo any more. It is a 'green' and 'citrus' type scent. There may be some Lilly of Valley in there. But it is not dominant. It kind of mixes with the green foresty type notes in there. I tend to like fragrances described as 'green', 'citrus', 'fruity','sweet' and 'chypre'. I dislike 'animal' notes which are ones that are said to make the fragrance 'sexy', such as amber, musk patchouli. I think the 'sexy' or amber type based ones are termed; 'orientals'. Even though most have lots of floral notes in them, such as Jaipur, the amber or 'sexy animal' base is still there and I tend not to like that.

A lot of the stuff I like has been DISCONTINUED or just not popular. Can't get Roger/Gallet 'Blue Carnation' soap anymore. 'Ma Griffe' and 'Revillion' also gone.

Bellodgia is one of my favorites which is a carnation family flower dominant note. Also love BULGARIAN ROSE base stuff like 'La Prairie'. The other scent I like is CALYX which is a fresh 'bright' green fruity floral with grapefruit and oakmoss.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.
Offline Hoss  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:49:45 AM(UTC)

Rust you should try Oud Saphir from Atelier Cologne. It is very distinctive - very warm and sweet!
Offline Geijutsu  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:18:44 PM(UTC)

Man
I don't wear fragrances that often but my two favourites are Tom Ford's Black Orchid which is marketed for women but smells quite unisex to me and Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. Both on the expensive side and both smell incredible imo. The latter tends to come off a bit strong when fresh but the dry-down smells rich and complex and overall awesome.
UserPostedImage

Offline loosh  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2016 10:39:09 PM(UTC)

I like Bobbi Brown Bath. Very clean and light for everyday wear.
Offline nightowl  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2016 6:09:57 PM(UTC)

Collecting niche fragrances is my hobby so here are some suggestions that are unisex and really creative brands that have sample programs from places like aedes.com and luckyscent.com so you can try before you buy:
Amouage - some excellent quality Oud
Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower
Serge Lutens - his earlier fragrances are better: Ambre Sultan, Cuir Mauresque, Muscs Koublaï Khän, Encens et Lavande
Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Absolue Pour le Soir and Cologne Pour le Soir

Offline Mike D  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2016 9:02:11 PM(UTC)

I like, and get the most compliments on, Spice Bomb by Viktor & Rolf. I also like HIM by Hanae Morae (sp?).
Offline rust1975  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 12:23:44 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: loosh Go to Quoted Post
I like Bobbi Brown Bath. Very clean and light for everyday wear.

Bobbi Brown Beach is a good one too. Or at least, it used to be. I believe it's been reformulated.

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
I like, and get the most compliments on, Spice Bomb by Viktor & Rolf. I also like HIM by Hanae Morae (sp?).

Hanae Morae has two similarly named scents "HiM" and "HM." The HM one is more universally liked, though off the top of my head I can't remember which I've smelled and prefer. Spicebomb is good, but once I got the image of potpurri into my head, I couldn't shake it. Bulgari's Man in Black is a good, more grown up version of it.
Offline Robin  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 8:12:12 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: nightowl Go to Quoted Post
Collecting niche fragrances is my hobby so here are some suggestions that are unisex and really creative brands that have sample programs from places like aedes.com and luckyscent.com so you can try before you buy:
Amouage - some excellent quality Oud
Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower
Serge Lutens - his earlier fragrances are better: Ambre Sultan, Cuir Mauresque, Muscs Koublaï Khän, Encens et Lavande
Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Absolue Pour le Soir and Cologne Pour le Soir

The sample programs are great! OMG where do you start?

Offline Larazelle  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 9:36:29 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
The sample programs are great! OMG where do you start?

Yes, I would like to know too !! - Is it like "monthly subscription Boxes" - like "Birchbox" for example?

Offline Mike D  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 9:58:54 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rust1975 Go to Quoted Post
Bobbi Brown Beach is a good one too. Or at least, it used to be. I believe it's been reformulated.

Hanae Morae has two similarly named scents "HiM" and "HM." The HM one is more universally liked, though off the top of my head I can't remember which I've smelled and prefer. Spicebomb is good, but once I got the image of potpurri into my head, I couldn't shake it. Bulgari's Man in Black is a good, more grown up version of it.

I have the "HiM." Didn't know about the "HM," will have to check it out. RE: Spice Bomb, I had to laugh at the image of potpourri in your head! Perhaps that's why they package it in a masculine looking hand grenade. The unique packaging was what lead me to pick it up and smell it in the first place.
Offline nightowl  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 4:46:35 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Larazelle Go to Quoted Post
---------------
Yes, I would like to know too !! - Is it like "monthly subscription Boxes" - like "Birchbox" for example?

Not like birchbox.
Here is a link to samples on luckyscent.com:

http://www.luckyscent.com/samples.asp

and aedes.com: let's you order 7 samples for $15:
http://www.aedes.com/pro...vice?variant=10409651079
Offline Jeannine  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 8:30:50 PM(UTC)

United States
Glad to see fellow fragrance lovers on this board. I'm a bit obsessed, here's a link to my basenotes list of fragrances I own (about 75-80% of them, not finished adding them all yet):

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe

Currently I've got Frederic Malle Parfum de Therese in heavy rotation along with vintage Jicky PdT and Lavande et Vanille.

My unchanging favorite of all time is Guerlain Mitsouko.

Offline MissJ  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 8:35:27 PM(UTC)

Jeannine,
Would you happen to know which fragrances have a dominant carnation family note as it's hard to find a floral with a combination of carnation like notes, in particular the Hungarian (or Carpathian basin) white flox.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.