logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MissJ  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 2:17:36 PM(UTC)

Chris K,

You make a good point that simple products with little to no 'advertising buzz' do a good job for skin care. It's just that the mention of the diaper cream reminded me of some of the stuff my mother used to use on her face that embarrassed me as kid growing up in the 1960's where anything used on the skin was not 'glamorized' by slick advertising was just weird to me.

Long time ago, (mid 1960's, I'm old) some skin doctor told my mother that all that was needed for good skin was washing with Ivory soap and using VASELINE and/or thick mineral oil and not to bake in the sun. I remember not liking that advice because 'other mothers' had nice face creams in pretty jars and fragrant soaps in their bathrooms.

Every day, she would wash her face with that plain bar of Ivory soap, use a scratchy wash cloth and then put a thick layer of either Vaseline or Mineral oil on face that stayed on for some time while doing stuff at home. Then she would remove excess of it with paper towel and place warm face cloth over the rest where she didn't seem to remove enough of it because it left her face a little shiny.

I remember neighbors would poke fun at the act of leaving a thick layer of Vaseline on the face and refer to her as 'Goose grease Gussie' because she would go out in the yard doing lawn stuff with it on. THAT and a LEAF on her nose to keep the sun off of it. One time a grasshopper landed on her face, struggling to get off while stuck and almost immobilized in a thick layer of grease. The next door neighbor was chuckling and just waiting to see if she would even notice the thing was there on her face for some time where the layer was so thick she didn't feel the thing.

The DIAPER CREAM was really embarrassing to me because she would take that stuff to the beach where you could see the label on the tube on the blanket. Everyone else had Coppertone. I was paranoid other kids would think the diaper cream was for me. Because this skin care routine was embarrassing to me, I developed an aversion to that stuff and used my allowance to buy commercial skin care products and would try to get a black as possible via tanning because 'that stuff' prevented a tan and kept her skin pale. Circa 1960's where 'everyone else' had a TAN or no one else wanted to look 'white' in the summer.

Then there were also those very ROUGH plain white towels in the bathroom that felt like sandpaper to me. They were not soft, fluffy and colorful like other people's towels. "Why can't you get NORMAL towels?" "Because those are the best towels in the world and are used in bath houses in Istanbul." As a kid, I couldn't understand why someone would want to RUB their skin dry so it came off with one of those towels. Also, the concept of going to some 'house' to take a bath with a lot of other people in there--like why didn't people in Turkey take a private bath at home?--seemed kind of weird to me at the time. My father would send the towels from Turkey but at the same time, he would send my brother (who was 10 years older than me) postcards of bare breasted women from there and also 'The little man from Ephesus' which was a small figurine with a GIANT DICK. So, those type of skin care things had weird associations to me and embarrassing to me as a kid.

Well, all that 'stuff' used in her skin care routine, although weird and embarrassing to me at the time because they were NOT commercial products that were advertised and hence had no 'positive' association in my mind were the very things that kept her skin YOUNG looking over the course of time. After many years, her SKIN layer was perfect. Although she had some drooping which is normal for after 70 (but much less than average 70 year old), there was no skin damage. The skin itself, looked very young. Meanwhile, mine was all damaged from the tanning and the use of all the commercial products that I used because I did not want to take skin care advice from someone who put 'goose grease' on their face. I took it from the advertisements, like everyone else.

It was only later in life after the advent of Retin A that I found that the 'weird' SKIN doctor she took her advice from, who told her to just use Ivory soap, put 'goose grease' (Vaseline) on her face and don't tan, was Kligman, the INVENTOR of Retin-A. Not that that name would have meant anything to me as a kid. But just to say, that skin care routine that I distained as a kid is what kept her skin looking GREAT. So, there is something to be said simple things that don't have a lot of advertising/glamour BUZZ surrounding them.

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Sarah W  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 2:53:54 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
Chris K,

You make a good point that simple products with little to no 'advertising buzz' do a good job for skin care. It's just that the mention of the diaper cream reminded me of some of the stuff my mother used to use on her face that embarrassed me as kid growing up in the 1960's where anything used on the skin was not 'glamorized' by slick advertising was just weird to me.

Long time ago, (mid 1960's, I'm old) some skin doctor told my mother that all that was needed for good skin was washing with Ivory soap and using VASELINE and/or thick mineral oil and not to bake in the sun. I remember not liking that advice because 'other mothers' had nice face creams in pretty jars and fragrant soaps in their bathrooms.

Every day, she would wash her face with that plain bar of Ivory soap, use a scratchy wash cloth and then put a thick layer of either Vaseline or Mineral oil on face that stayed on for some time while doing stuff at home. Then she would remove excess of it with paper towel and place warm face cloth over the rest where she didn't seem to remove enough of it because it left her face a little shiny.

I remember neighbors would poke fun at the act of leaving a thick layer of Vaseline on the face and refer to her as 'Goose grease Gussie' because she would go out in the yard doing lawn stuff with it on. THAT and a LEAF on her nose to keep the sun off of it. One time a grasshopper landed on her face, struggling to get off while stuck and almost immobilized in a thick layer of grease. The next door neighbor was chuckling and just waiting to see if she would even notice the thing was there on her face for some time where the layer was so thick she didn't feel the thing.

The DIAPER CREAM was really embarrassing to me because she would take that stuff to the beach where you could see the label on the tube on the blanket. Everyone else had Coppertone. I was paranoid other kids would think the diaper cream was for me. Because this skin care routine was embarrassing to me, I developed an aversion to that stuff and used my allowance to buy commercial skin care products and would try to get a black as possible via tanning because 'that stuff' prevented a tan and kept her skin pale. Circa 1960's where 'everyone else' had a TAN or no one else wanted to look 'white' in the summer.

Then there were also those very ROUGH plain white towels in the bathroom that felt like sandpaper to me. They were not soft, fluffy and colorful like other people's towels. "Why can't you get NORMAL towels?" "Because those are the best towels in the world and are used in bath houses in Istanbul." As a kid, I couldn't understand why someone would want to RUB their skin dry so it came off with one of those towels. Also, the concept of going to some 'house' to take a bath with a lot of other people in there--like why didn't people in Turkey take a private bath at home?--seemed kind of weird to me at the time. My father would send the towels from Turkey but at the same time, he would send my brother (who was 10 years older than me) postcards of bare breasted women from there and also 'The little man from Ephesus' which was a small figurine with a GIANT DICK. So, those type of skin care things had weird associations to me and embarrassing to me as a kid.

Well, all that 'stuff' used in her skin care routine, although weird and embarrassing to me at the time because they were NOT commercial products that were advertised and hence had no 'positive' association in my mind were the very things that kept her skin YOUNG looking over the course of time. After many years, her SKIN layer was perfect. Although she had some drooping which is normal for after 70 (but much less than average 70 year old), there was no skin damage. The skin itself, looked very young. Meanwhile, mine was all damaged from the tanning and the use of all the commercial products that I used because I did not want to take skin care advice from someone who put 'goose grease' on their face. I took it from the advertisements, like everyone else.

It was only later in life after the advent of Retin A that I found that the 'weird' SKIN doctor she took her advice from, who told her to just use Ivory soap, put 'goose grease' (Vaseline) on her face and don't tan, was Kligman, the INVENTOR of Retin-A. Not that that name would have meant anything to me as a kid. But just to say, that skin care routine that I distained as a kid is what kept her skin looking GREAT. So, there is something to be said simple things that don't have a lot of advertising/glamour BUZZ surrounding them.

That is a lovely story, Miss J. So well written and food for thought. Thank you

Offline MissJ  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 5:12:12 PM(UTC)

Thanx Sarah.

Originally Posted by: Sarah W Go to Quoted Post
That is a lovely story, Miss J. So well written and food for thought. Thank you

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Mike D  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 10:58:43 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post
i also believe Zinc Oxide has healing properties for irritated, red skin or sunburned. i use diaper cream when my skin is red and irritated. Desitin Original Diaper cream offers the highest amount of Zinc at 40%. the natural version 'butt paste' offers 40 as well but its not emulsified with other oils. i prefer desitin. if you've ever seen an angry, red, raw looking diaper rash on a baby you will understand the healing power of Desitin or 40% zinc oxide.

A supporting article to your theory that I found interesting (although I hate thinking of lab rats suffering ):
https://www.researchgate...in_Wound_Healing_In_Rats
Offline Mike D  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 11:12:09 PM(UTC)

I agree that it’s a very interesting and well-told story, Miss J.
Offline MissJ  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 12:12:44 AM(UTC)

Thanx Mike. I remember that diaper rash cream used for sun protection had FISH OIL in it. My aunt who also was into sun protection just wore a large floppy hat sun glasses and brought a beach umbrella. She didn't like the idea of the diaper rash cream at the beach either, thought it could attract too many sea gulls.

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
I agree that it’s a very interesting and well-told story, Miss J.

Offline Sarah W  
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 3:20:48 AM(UTC)

Woman
Lol about the seagulls! Made me laugh like mad:)
Offline makingchoices  
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 8:28:29 AM(UTC)

Miss J, I really loved your story. I am of an age where some of these remedies I heard from my mother, grandmother etc... too. I was in my barn today and saw a container of Desitin ( used for a rash that happens on horses legs) and immediately thought of your story with a smile!
Offline Annaport  
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:18:27 AM(UTC)

I like azaleic acid for skin cell turnover in addition to Tazorac (prefer that to Retin A). I am constantly trying new creams etc. Here is one thing I recommend highly: REGULAR LASER TREATMENTS! I use various lasers for skin management. Each one has a different application: Vbeam, BBL, Clear and Brilliant, Sciton, Alexandrite etc. I use Clear and Brilliant as a regular maintenance all over my face. I use VBEAM for rosacea and redness management. I use Alexandrite for brown spots. I use BBL for similar aspects of VBEAM and Alexandrite but I mostly use it on my chest. I JUST used the Sciton under my eyes to see if I can stave off getting an early lower bleph but time will have to tell. I may need three treatments. I would have to spend a LOT of time going over the skin products but I really love Tazoric and C E Ferulic among some suggestions.
Offline Mike D  
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:39:47 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
Thanx Mike. I remember that diaper rash cream used for sun protection had FISH OIL in it. My aunt who also was into sun protection just wore a large floppy hat sun glasses and brought a beach umbrella. She didn't like the idea of the diaper rash cream at the beach either, thought it could attract too many sea gulls.

That’s hilarious. I’m picturing a scene in a coming-of-age movie.
Offline Mike D  
#26 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 11:08:30 AM(UTC)

JB01 - wanted to thank you again for your recommendations. I just received the Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Milk from Miss J’s Amazon portal. Like you said, it went on the skin very nicely and is not greasy or whitening in the least. I really like it and look forward to “road testing” it later.

I also wanted to ask you about a sunscreen that I picked up last year in Portugal that seems to perform very well for my body: Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Advanced 50+. I liked that it has Mexoryl SX, but want to get your thoughts on the ingredients:
Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat, Disopropyl Sebacate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Titanium Dioxide [Nano]/ Titanium Dioxide, Octocrylene, Isohexadecane, Ethylhexyl Triazone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Synthetic Wax, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Diethylhexyl Butamido Triazone, PEG-100 Stearate, Palmitic Acid, Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Terephithalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Disodium EDTA, Aluminum Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate.

Thanks again!
Offline Robin  
#27 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 12:40:49 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Annaport Go to Quoted Post
I like azaleic acid for skin cell turnover in addition to Tazorac (prefer that to Retin A). I am constantly trying new creams etc. Here is one thing I recommend highly: REGULAR LASER TREATMENTS! I use various lasers for skin management. Each one has a different application: Vbeam, BBL, Clear and Brilliant, Sciton, Alexandrite etc. I use Clear and Brilliant as a regular maintenance all over my face. I use VBEAM for rosacea and redness management. I use Alexandrite for brown spots. I use BBL for similar aspects of VBEAM and Alexandrite but I mostly use it on my chest. I JUST used the Sciton under my eyes to see if I can stave off getting an early lower bleph but time will have to tell. I may need three treatments. I would have to spend a LOT of time going over the skin products but I really love Tazoric and C E Ferulic among some suggestions.

Annaport which sciton laser did you use under the eyes? And is it to tighten loose skin there?
Offline Chris K  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 8:08:48 PM(UTC)

Woman
I always worry about lasers that tighten the delicate undereye skin can also contact and pull the lid down.
Offline Sarah W  
#29 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:31:27 PM(UTC)

Woman
Originally Posted by: Chris K Go to Quoted Post
I always worry about lasers that tighten the delicate undereye skin can also contact and pull the lid down.

Yes and there would be no going back. Does not bear thinking about
Offline Annaport  
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2019 7:32:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
Annaport which sciton laser did you use under the eyes? And is it to tighten loose skin there?

Hi

I had a lower bleph in 2011 with Dr. D. It has really done wonders but I am on the cusp of loose skin and some texture issues there. I looked at photos from last year to this year and one year REALLY made a difference. I add this because my stress level has been EXTRAORDINARY this past year and I will admit that some of my lifestyle choices have NOT been the best. I attribute that to the change.

So with that said I have the pamphlet in front of me:

Sciton Profractional laser: setting superficial resurfacing with Microlaserpeel 20 microns

He says I am on the very cusp of really getting a bleph. He is SUPER conservative and suggested three treatments of this. The cost is very little (100 dollars) and the downtime is about three days where you do not want to go in public and about a week for a clearer idea of results. I am almost at a week. I can see a difference but it is still going to be a few days before I will call it. I want to decide soon if I am going to do a lower lift or try this two more times. You have to do it with a month in between treatments.