logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Meeka  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 5:10:38 AM(UTC)

I’ve had Botox to my forehead for years but a few times I’ve noticed the hair along my hairline thins and recedes . I last had Botox in September and it has thinned since then . I started applying regaine a few weeks ago and I now have re growth which I am hoping continues . Just wonder if anyone else has experienced hair loss after Botox ?

I had endoscopic brow lift in 2008 and was left with two dime sized bald patches just on my hairline . I had a transplant in 2011 to cover those and this hair which was taken from the back of my head was unaffected .
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline MissJ  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 11:12:35 AM(UTC)

Well, you can get hairloss from an incision to the hair bearing area. That's a 'known' given the hair follicles can be directly disrupted. So in that case the hair loss is directly attributable to the incision disrupting the hair follicles.

But since botox to the forehead area is NOT to the hair bearing area, it's unlikely to be the culprit of hair loss to the hair bearing area.
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Robin  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 2:41:58 PM(UTC)

if you're only noticing it sometimes, then it's not the botox... probably coincidence with some kind of cycle your hair is going through. We do go through seasonal shedding cycles and as we get older and the hair is thinner and/or more fragile they become more noticeable.
Offline Meeka  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:52:10 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the replies.

Yes its possible its cyclical or hormonal but i think i thought of the botox link because its just around the top of my hairline where he injects very close to the hairline. I dont have hairloss at my temple hairline. I also have patches of hairloss on my eyebrow where he injects but this could also be contributed to age related hairloss. I have done a search and there are a few others who report hairloss/receding hairline but i guess it could be contributed to just aging process. I dont think theres any logical reason why botox would cause hairloss.

The link below describes hairloss after botox but the women are age 50 plus

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC5096242/
Offline MissJ  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:13:48 PM(UTC)

The study states that it consisted only of 5 patients and that NONE of those (5) patients would allow a forehead biopsy (which would be needed to substantiate the hypothesis that botox was directly attributed to hairline loss). Hence it remains a HYPOTHESIS based on even very limited EMPIRICAL observation.

The frontalis (forehead) muscle raises the eyebrows and many get the botox to affect a BROW LIFT. In a Botox brow lift, the opposing muscle/parts that pull the brow down are DEACTIVATED such that the muscle parts that pull the brows UP go UNOPPOSED by the muscle parts that would pull the brow DOWN. Since the upper hairline would go 'along for the RIDE', it would tend to shift UPWARD given the parts of it needed for it to shift downward have been ZAPPED by the Botox. So, what you're left with is a hairline that SHIFTS 'UPWARD' due to repeated botox to LIFT the brows!

I would conclude that what is called 'hairloss' or 'alopecia' is not that at all but rather the ILLUSION of it due to the hairline SHIFTING 'UPWARD' via repeated botox aimed at deactivating the muscle (parts) that lower the brow.

So, not only do the 'findings' of this 'study' remain a HYPOTHESIS based on very limited empirical observation, but it also constitutes a very WEAK one given their failure to consider that the hairline WOULD tend to shift 'UPWARD' with continued WEAKENING of the part of that allowed downward movement which is the case for the 'Botox brow lifts'.

Also, the hairline can shift 'upward' with aging when there is NO actual hairloss.

** 'UPWARD':

Technically, with bone loss, the shift of the hairline is actually backwards (posterior). But from the frontal perspective, posterior shifting of the hairline with forehead bone loss PROJECTS as a (vertically) 'upward' displacement or a higher forehead

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Meeka  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:37:31 PM(UTC)

Thank you Miss J for the explanation . Your explanation makes much more sense than the Botox theory .
Offline MissJ  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:12:05 PM(UTC)

I'm hoping the authors come across the retort to their paper.

Originally Posted by: Meeka Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Miss J for the explanation . Your explanation makes much more sense than the Botox theory .

Offline Meeka  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:49:14 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MissJ Go to Quoted Post
I'm hoping the authors come across the retort to their paper.

Yes me too.

Offline Nim  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 10:42:11 PM(UTC)

Meeka,........I also felt I had hair loss from Botox. I started searching around, and it seems there are other women who felt it led to hair loss for them, also. I noticed mine at the place where men have a receding hairline,....kind of at the top corner of your face, where the side of your face starts to curve up to the top of your head. I have not used Botox in about 2 years now, and the hair is slowly starting to grow back. I do not know positively that the Botox is the cause, but I am too afraid to have any more Botox at this time.
Skygirl5 from MMH
Offline Meeka  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6:24:00 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Nim Go to Quoted Post
Meeka,........I also felt I had hair loss from Botox. I started searching around, and it seems there are other women who felt it led to hair loss for them, also. I noticed mine at the place where men have a receding hairline,....kind of at the top corner of your face, where the side of your face starts to curve up to the top of your head. I have not used Botox in about 2 years now, and the hair is slowly starting to grow back. I do not know positively that the Botox is the cause, but I am too afraid to have any more Botox at this time.

Nim, I'm still losing alot of hair at the moment. I'm getting some blood tests to see if that shows anything. I really can't put my finger on what is causing mine so i thought maybe the botox was playing some role because my injector injects very close to the hairline. I think because its a toxin we tend to think maybe its playing a role even in some autoimmune way . I thought because botox can cause flu like symptoms maybe it can have some systematic effect in other areas. I agree with Miss J that there is no clinical evidence that botox can cause hairloss and its also sometimes used to stimulate hair growth .