logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:48:21 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Thank you for the great explanation, MissJ.
Offline Page  
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:36:55 PM(UTC)

Wow! You never cease to amaze me, Miss J. Your aesthetic eye combined with your technical knowledge are such a gift to us all. Thanks again for all that you do and your efforts to lead us in making the best surgical decisions for our individual needs. So glad I found this site!
Offline MissJ  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:42:26 PM(UTC)

Thanx you too Page for your support.

Originally Posted by: Page Go to Quoted Post
Wow! You never cease to amaze me, Miss J. Your aesthetic eye combined with your technical knowledge are such a gift to us all. Thanks again for all that you do and your efforts to lead us in making the best surgical decisions for our individual needs. So glad I found this site!

Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline KenCarson  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 12:24:39 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
Basically, a chin wing won't give you jaw angles. So keep this in mind if you plan to get it. That said, it's an extremely versatile procedure!

What it can give you is: chin projection and jaw augmentation in 3 dimensions (add height & width to the body, lower the plane, etc.)

The advantages over implants are: 1. it's your own bone; 2. you may be happy with the final result (especially the chin) and stop there; 3. you will need smaller implants if you still want more volume or angles. If you only need a chin, it's probably overkill. If you only need angles, it's probably not for you.

If you're a guy who wants a stronger jawline (above average), you will likely need to add an implant later. (Or filler, which I wouldn't recommend.)
If you're female with a weak chin/jaw, a chin wing may be all you need. It's has a very subtle and natural look.

(Disclosure: I went in fully knowing the limitations of the procedure. The outcome matched my expectations, but I could definitely use some more.)
Offline makingchoices  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 9:51:42 AM(UTC)

LOL, no MissJ I was not thinking of it for myself Applause - just general education in the realm of plastic surgery and how crucial it is to have experienced knowledgeable advocacy and guidance before undertaking any work to our bodies at all.
Offline MissJ  
#21 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:21:04 PM(UTC)

Glad to hear you went in knowing the limitations of it. Not all do.
As it being 'your own bone', this is true. I shall add, it's your own HIP BONE (slice from crest of pelvis bone) that will need to be harvested for an augmentation that is a 'drop down'.

Originally Posted by: KenCarson Go to Quoted Post
Basically, a chin wing won't give you jaw angles. So keep this in mind if you plan to get it. That said, it's an extremely versatile procedure!

What it can give you is: chin projection and jaw augmentation in 3 dimensions (add height & width to the body, lower the plane, etc.)

The advantages over implants are: 1. it's your own bone; 2. you may be happy with the final result (especially the chin) and stop there; 3. you will need smaller implants if you still want more volume or angles. If you only need a chin, it's probably overkill. If you only need angles, it's probably not for you.

If you're a guy who wants a stronger jawline (above average), you will likely need to add an implant later. (Or filler, which I wouldn't recommend.)
If you're female with a weak chin/jaw, a chin wing may be all you need. It's has a very subtle and natural look.

(Disclosure: I went in fully knowing the limitations of the procedure. The outcome matched my expectations, but I could definitely use some more.)

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline KenCarson  
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:03:16 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Correct! Forgot about that. lol. A hip bone graft. So that means an extra scar...
Offline Viking  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2018 4:29:47 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Thank you for the tut!

Is there a way to figure out what kind of jaw one is working with without a cephalogram? I'll need to get one anyway if I go through with max fax.

Also, is it possible to rotate/flare the jaw angles during chin wing surgery to avoid the banana-jaw look? I remember a chin wing patient told me that it was, but that the rotation is limited and would take multiple surgeries to obtain a significant difference. I guess, then, implants would be more effective and less invasive.
Offline MissJ  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:52:36 PM(UTC)

Yes, there is a way but a tutorial of such is not part of this string.
Multiple surgeries for chin wing if one wants it to do what a custom implant could do.

Originally Posted by: Viking Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the tut!

Is there a way to figure out what kind of jaw one is working with without a cephalogram? I'll need to get one anyway if I go through with max fax.

Also, is it possible to rotate/flare the jaw angles during chin wing surgery to avoid the banana-jaw look? I remember a chin wing patient told me that it was, but that the rotation is limited and would take multiple surgeries to obtain a significant difference. I guess, then, implants would be more effective and less invasive.

Offline KenCarson  
#25 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:40:08 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
What's the banana-jaw look? lol

Yes, it's possible to flare the angles. In my case, it achieved 5-7mm augmentation. (I have an old CT scan and it just occurred to me that I could measure my starting point. When I get a new one, I will know the exact distance to the nearest mm.) So yes, it is limited, but not bad! This corresponds to a medium jaw angle implant.

As far as rotation, that's also possible and it's actually noticeable in my case. Haven't measured the angle but might try to do that when I have some time. Just got a nice set of xrays from my dentist that I could overlay.

Originally Posted by: Viking Go to Quoted Post
Is there a way to figure out what kind of jaw one is working with without a cephalogram?

You don't necessarily need an ceph/xray to get an idea of what you might need, unless you are overweight, etc. When you plan the actual surgery, you'll get xrays, scans, whatever your doctor needs.
Offline Disco  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 6:51:12 AM(UTC)

Hi Miss J and everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted! Hope this finds you all well.

A question regarding the section on the bottom of the mandible that becomes detached with this Chin Wing procedure - can it simply be removed if I just want a shorter mandible?

I'd like both my jaws to be advanced outwards but as my mandible is already too long, a traditional BSSO would not be ideal. I also don't think I'm a candidate for CCW rotation as my occlusal plane is pretty flat when my head's in neutral position.

Having a wedge excised off the bottom of my mandible would solve the bulk of the issue.

Also, is Dr Z the only surgeon known for this procedure?

Many thanks!