logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline makingchoices  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 9:52:05 PM(UTC)

So during my consult with Dr Ellyassia I asked him about skin treatments to help even out my skin tone and some redness. He mentioned Sciton and IPL and BBL - he said they are quite effective and that I should find someone in my area. Apparently, in his experience, the machines are so well-designed now with software and programming, that its much easier to get a good result with little danger of a disaster. ( Which I had with Thermage 10 years ago - resulting in fat loss in the face and the need for a facelift and fat grafting)
I went to the Sciton site and was overwhelmed by the number of different machines and procedures!! I don't have any idea of what to ask for or look for. Tomorrow I will call the company to ask who in my area is an expert in this.

has anyone here done facial IPL or BBL? Or anything else that would be effective for age spots, redness, and just general ways of rejuvenating the skin? What about Fraxel?

here are some before and afters for the BBL - https://sciton.com/galle...-young-bbl-before-after/
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Mike D  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 10:16:59 PM(UTC)

I’ve done BBL about 6 times and really like what it has done so far. I reached a point where all of my younger years of cumulative sun damage seemed to appear at once. My dermatologist (Dr. Jill Waibel - Miami laser guru) turned me on to BBL and I started it with her. If your sun damage is superficial, you can expect great results from one or two treatments. It really brings superficial stuff up to the surface, where it flakes off in about 5 days. If you have deeper damage like I had, it slowly brings it closer and closer to the surface, so it takes many more treatments to totally get rid of sunspots/pigmentation problems.

The advantage of it, for me, is that after each treatment, my skin only looks like crap for about 3 days, which isn’t as bad as some of the other laser treatments I’ve had. Also, even though the pigment improvements are gradual for me (again because they are so deep), my overall skin quality has improved greatly- the color is better, my skin is healthier looking and areas of redness and veins are better. I’ve received a lot of compliments since using BBL.

Make sure you go to a doctor/Center that uses all three filters in different passes - there is a general anti- aging filter, one for redness/capillaries and a third for sunspots/pigmentation. The laser center I now use (managed by my partner) uses setting guidelines based on the protocols developed by Dr. Patrick Bitter and Sciton. Check out his site, as well for more info on it. He has done a lot of investigation on how this particular laser seems to sort of genetically reprogram skin.

There may be better lasers out there, but since my derm recommends it for me and I can get it for free from my partner’s providers, I’ve stuck with it. It’s recommended that once you reach your desired end-point that you have maintenance sessions about 3 times a year. In terms of what I’ve seen and experienced with lasers, this one is pretty mild.
Offline makingchoices  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:40:01 PM(UTC)

Thanks Mike D - that's very helpful. I went on the Sciton website and there is nothing close by really - which is not that surprising given where I live. I did find this alternative at a place I am interested in - also far away though - they don't have the Sciton , but they have the Lumenis One. Does anyone know anything about that brand?

The practice seems quite big and has many positive reviews on Yelp etc...on https://mdlsv.com/Lasers I wonder if its worth the drive , since Dr Tina Alster is not taking new patients in DC - though that's a drive as well but at least I have family there.

Or maybe I should fly to Miami to see Dr Jill Waibel?

I wish there was someone experienced near me - but there is not and many also have pretty dismal reviews
Offline Robin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:58:27 PM(UTC)

i'm surprised at the quality of those pictures - the before and after clearly have different lighting - you can tell by looking at the hair color (anything non-skin).

I have had IPL semi-regularly for the past 10-15 years. Similar to what mike says about BBL you need a series and then go on maintenance. it's just like weeding a garden.

Although the machines are calibrated better to avoid damage in unexperienced hands, that's not the same as someone being knowlegeable enough to diagnose and give you the right treatment for you.

If you are going to travel, Miami will be cheaper than going to a NY laser expert... But if you can drive in the dc/baltimore area (not sure which metro area you live closest to) then just google it "BBL Sciton Baltimore" "BBL Sciton Washington DC"... you get the idea. Screen based on the website and then call with questions for you to assess experience and comfort level. If you want examples of "gold standard" in terms of breadth then look at Mike's doc reco website and also look at roy geronemous in NY, and Macrene Alexiades in NY. Macrene and Roy's websites and practices are very different but you will get the idea of how broad their practices are.
Offline Hydroxyboy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:38:28 PM(UTC)

Lumenis invented IPL. I’ve had successful treatments with Lumenis One. Reputable company.

Edited by user Friday, April 27, 2018 3:58:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline makingchoices  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:32:26 PM(UTC)

I went to the Sciton website and here is a little blurb about a study done through Stanford University School of Medicine -

A new study recently published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology shows that Sciton BroadBand Light (BBL™) treatments can change the expression of genes associated with the aging process to more closely resemble young skin. The study supports the hypothesis that regulators of aging can be altered in human skin using BBL technology to provide a functional change, rather than just a cosmetic mimic of youthful appearance. BBL treatments promote the appearance of youthful skin. This study reveals that the appearance of younger skin may be due to the differences observed in gene expression patterns of aged skin becoming more like young skin. Treatments from the study were performed on the FDA-cleared Sciton Joule using the BBL module.*

Does anyone know about this? I always wonder who funds a study ( I have not taken the time to look yet). The study is not new - its from 2012 - but I am just looking around or effective treatments.

Also, has anyone here used it on other areas of the body ( other than the face?)
Offline Mike D  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:21:20 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post
I went to the Sciton website and here is a little blurb about a study done through Stanford University School of Medicine -

A new study recently published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology shows that Sciton BroadBand Light (BBL™) treatments can change the expression of genes associated with the aging process to more closely resemble young skin. The study supports the hypothesis that regulators of aging can be altered in human skin using BBL technology to provide a functional change, rather than just a cosmetic mimic of youthful appearance. BBL treatments promote the appearance of youthful skin. This study reveals that the appearance of younger skin may be due to the differences observed in gene expression patterns of aged skin becoming more like young skin. Treatments from the study were performed on the FDA-cleared Sciton Joule using the BBL module.*

Does anyone know about this? I always wonder who funds a study ( I have not taken the time to look yet). The study is not new - its from 2012 - but I am just looking around or effective treatments.

Also, has anyone here used it on other areas of the body ( other than the face?)

Yes, I’ve heard of this before from the Sciton Reps who were trained by Dr. Patrick Bitter, who kind of brought the BBL into popularity through this big study. I believe that they did skin punch biopsies on small areas before and after to prove a difference.

I’ve also used it on my hands. They look much younger, but took about 2 weeks to heal. While healing they looked like I had gotten into some chemicals while gardening. After that, much more free of age spots.

I would mostly believe the BBL hype, just know that it doesn’t work as well on everyone and doesn’t work miracles for everyone. There may be other lasers that are better for some, but the BBL (iMo) is safe enough for everyone to try a few times over a month or two and see what kind of results you get.