logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Greg  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:41:14 PM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: Beholder Go to Quoted Post
Does this laser heat the fat up and melt it even slightly? So many of these lasers can damage fat cells. I tried the VBeam for broken caps many years ago and it did not work for me. This was probably over 15 years ago when the technology was new though. I did a series of three or four.

VBeam and Excel V vascular lasers are specific in selectively hitting/targeting only what is the color red--their light bursts are specifically drawn to red and whatever is not red goes essentially unaffected. Also, the wavelength of vascular lasers is specific such that their penetration is rather shallow, so they shouldn't be able to penetrate deep enough to reach subcutaneous fat anyway. Consequently, if you've ever had a broken cap that just wouldn't respond at all to VBeam, it may be because it's a little deeper than VBeam can penetrate and will require a different laser.
Offline makingchoices  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:33:24 PM(UTC)

Speaking of damaging fat with lasers. I had Thermage back in 2008 or 2009? And it destroyed the fat in my face so that less than a year later I was gaunt and had skin sagging. This was the primary reason I got a face lift. My sister is just 16 months younger than me - and never had Thermage and continues to have plenty of fat in her 58 year old cheeks. I also had some other kind of facial laser around that same time, 15 minutes into the procedure the nurse doing it said "Oops, on the wrong setting " and then got up and adjusted the machines setting. That was when I swore off lasers purporting to stimulate collagen.
Online Mike D  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:05:03 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Greg Go to Quoted Post
It took me about 1 year of VBeam treatments, spaced one month apart, to eliminate the majority of the redness and put a stop to all flushing episodes. After that, I have continued alternating VBeam and Excel V treatments about every two to three months, partly to maintain the remission, and partly because I now continue to nitpick about any little pink area or visible cap no matter how small (admitted perfectionist). I do some other daily skin care stuff to further help maintain the remission.

Thanks!
Online Mike D  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:11:46 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: makingchoices Go to Quoted Post
Speaking of damaging fat with lasers. I had Thermage back in 2008 or 2009? And it destroyed the fat in my face so that less than a year later I was gaunt and had skin sagging. This was the primary reason I got a face lift. My sister is just 16 months younger than me - and never had Thermage and continues to have plenty of fat in her 58 year old cheeks. I also had some other kind of facial laser around that same time, 15 minutes into the procedure the nurse doing it said "Oops, on the wrong setting " and then got up and adjusted the machines setting. That was when I swore off lasers purporting to stimulate collagen.

One of the key differences, however, is that Thermage is radio frequency and not a true laser. The laser technology has also come a long way in the past several years with targeted depths that don’t go deep enough into the dermis to reach the fat layer.
Offline Greg  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:08:43 AM(UTC)

Man
United Kingdom
Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
One of the key differences, however, is that Thermage is radio frequency and not a true laser. The laser technology has also come a long way in the past several years with targeted depths that don’t go deep enough into the dermis to reach the fat layer.

Mike makes a great point. Many of the skin treatment devices out there are not "lasers," even though people so often seem to lump all of them into the "laser" category--many actually use very different technologies/modalities to achieve their aim. It's like comparing apples and oranges. For example radio frequency modalities for skin tightening do work by heating up layers in the skin--all tissue within the device's set reach point is probably affected. In contrast lasers use targeted light that can often be pretty selective.
Offline makingchoices  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:13:48 PM(UTC)

You are right of course - radio frequency is very different than laser. My bad. But I just called the office and found out it was a Fraxel treatment in 2009 - the one where the nurse said "oops- wrong setting" - and my face got a lot worse after that treatment - sagging and gaunt. I would NEVER do it again.
Offline Larazelle  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:45:10 AM(UTC)

You are right of course - radio frequency is very different than laser. My bad. But I just called the office and found out it was a Fraxel treatment in 2009 - the one where the nurse said "oops- wrong setting" - and my face got a lot worse after that treatment - sagging and gaunt. I would NEVER do it again.

I had Fraxel in 2007 - just ONE round - and I'm glad I stopped at that - it did tighten my face a bit, but because I am olive skinned I got a lot of hyper pigmentation - Tina Alster - the top derm in NYC said Fraxel was "color blind" - I do not agree -

How many rounds did you have with Fraxel - also do you know what kind of Fraxel it was - I think Fraxel has gone through a few "reinventions"

Offline makingchoices  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:44:29 PM(UTC)

I think I had just 1 round of Fraxel- I just called them and they said it was Reliant Fraxel XR 1500. And remember the technician, after I told her how much it hurt, suddenly got up, said 'Oops' and changed the setting - but I had already had a good half my face done probably. I think I even complained at the time afterwards about my very poor results and got no serious concern from the practice.

I am very leery of anything like that on my face now - peels yes, facelifts and fat grafting yes - but nothing that says it will "stimulate collagen through heat/radiofrequency or light for me, thanks.
Offline Larazelle  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:45:05 PM(UTC)

I think I had just 1 round of Fraxel- I just called them and they said it was Reliant Fraxel XR 1500. And remember the technician, after I told her how much it hurt, suddenly got up, said 'Oops' and changed the setting - but I had already had a good half my face done probably. I think I even complained at the time afterwards about my very poor results and got no serious concern from the practice.

I am very leery of anything like that on my face now - peels yes, facelifts and fat grafting yes - but nothing that says it will "stimulate collagen through heat/radiofrequency or light for me, thanks.

I had mine in 2007 - I have to look up my notes to see what it was called I totally agree with you regarding exposing myself to lasers/radio frequency modalities for the FACE -however I am fantasizing about using Thermage to firm up skin of my upper arms.