logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mike D  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 11:26:34 AM(UTC)

I've lived in a 35 year old high rise building for the past few years that has terrible tasting water that comes from the sink tap. That, and two of the building maintenance guys have told me that they've seen some of the pipes and "wouldn't drink the water." So, besides water that I boil for cooking and rinsing my toothbrush with, I've been buying 2.5 gallon BPA-free water bottles at the grocery store. With two of us here, and two dogs who drink a lot, we go through a ton of water and I've been thinking about a better solution to our drinking water problem.

While I recycle our 2.5 gallon containers, I'd like something environmentally-friendly and more economical. I'm not against a home filtration system, but wonder if those really remove all of the potential contaminates. I'd also consider a home delivery of the 5 gallon reuseable bottles, but wonder if that is the healthiest way to go. (I'm also concerned about the health consequences of the current 2.5 gallon plastic I use now).

Any thoughts? Does anyone use a tried-and-true home filter system? Getting new pipes isn't an option here, as even if my unit's pipes were replaced (an expensive proposition), the water would still come up 22 stories of old pipes to get to me, so aside from moving, that's not really an option.
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline lucillenyc  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 2:33:56 PM(UTC)

We get home delivery of 5 gallon bottles of water since tap water is so gross here in San Diego. The bottles are BPA-free and are returned to be sterilized and reused. I used to go through a ton of single serve water bottles, so I feel better about this option eco-wise. I also like having chilled water on tap. Not sure how much safer BPA-free bottles are though...
Offline Mike D  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 3:05:05 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: lucillenyc Go to Quoted Post
We get home delivery of 5 gallon bottles of water since tap water is so gross here in San Diego. The bottles are BPA-free and are returned to be sterilized and reused. I used to go through a ton of single serve water bottles, so I feel better about this option eco-wise. I also like having chilled water on tap. Not sure how much safer BPA-free bottles are though...

I know - I still worry about the safety profile of even BPA-free, but figure it's got to be better than what's coming out of my pipes.
Offline Geijutsu  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 8:44:46 PM(UTC)

Man
For a while I tried glass bottled water but it was quiet costly in the long run. I now use the home-delivered 5 gallon bottles with my cooler. I suppose the most ideal option would be using reverse osmosis filters, I heard those are really good at filtering out any contaminants.
UserPostedImage

Offline Mike D  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 10:55:55 PM(UTC)

I'm wondering if I could get one of those dispensers that dispenses cold water that comes from a line that goes through reverse osmosis... otherwise the 5 gallon delivery might be the best bet.