logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Shaz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:50:44 PM(UTC)

Woman
It fascinates me why some genetics are so strong they'll consistently throw these great results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_yKPNORLM

You could just stamp them out on an assembly line...and all were very talented. DNA rules. I love genetics...it's going to be where we will be able to manipulate our looks and longevity, hopefully in our lifetimes. ;-) I really do love all my Miss J friends..you make me think and consider the "what next".

Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn’t have the slightest idea what’s really going on. Kurt Vonnegut

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Shaz  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:42:51 PM(UTC)

Woman
And yeah....we did have the time of our lives in the '60's and 70's. What can I say? :-)
Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn’t have the slightest idea what’s really going on. Kurt Vonnegut

UserPostedImage
Offline delilah  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:15:56 AM(UTC)

Was thinking the other day about longevity and weather we really want it. I mean, when people say they want to live longer, what they really mean is that they want to extend their youth... not necessarily their lives. With medical technology we've managed so far to extend life... but not so much youth. Which is why we are now at a point where the majority of our lives are spent being middle aged or "old" while a much smaller portion is when we're considered youthful. Looking back in previous generations it was not like this. Before, a person would be a 'child' until about 16/17, then they would be in peak adulthood until the age of 35. Then they'd only have about 15 years left of being the "old" crowd before they died. So the majority of their lives were really the peak of life so to speak and the smaller portions were the less desirable portions of life as we tend to have less options for ourselves when we are children or senior citizens of society. I realize that there are some differences depending on the part of the world and time period, but this seems to be pretty much average in the recent history of western civilization.

Today however it's more like we spend about 21 years being a child supported by parents, Then we have only 15 or so years of peak adulthood before society starts saying we're not young anymore because at this point we're over 35 (especially true for women) And the rest is a whopping FIFTY YEARS or so of going down hill. Despite the fact that it gets harder to get hired for work after a certain age you still have to somehow manage to pay for 3-4 more decades of your life. In other words, we've extended our lives, but in doing so we haven't really extended our youth. There isn't much difference between what ages were considered "old" back when our lifespans were shorter than there is today now that they are longer. When I look at photos from previous generations (which of course did not have PS- so I'm accounting for that) A person of age 30 looked the same as someone of the same age today- sans cosmetic procedures that is.

If you were to give people the option between
A- A pill that will allow you to live to 130 years or
B- A pill that will make you look no older than 25 for 35 years but has the minor side effect of killing you by age 60,
Most people would choose B.
Offline Anya77  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:10:01 AM(UTC)

You make some good points but I disagree with someone at 30 years old today looking the same as a 30 year old of previous generations. Many advances besides plastic surgery contribute to a person looking younger at 30 today, notably advancements in dentistry . Years ago teeth were pulled unnecessarily causing people's jaws to look "sunken in". We also know a lot more about sun protection now.
Offline Chris K  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:55:57 AM(UTC)

Woman
In poorer communities pulling teeth when there's a problem is still the only affordable option. Go into a poorer neighborhood and see the many ppl over 35 with missing teeth
Offline delilah  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:23:15 PM(UTC)

Yes that's why I mentioned that there are variances depending on the part of the world (which has a correlation to poverty level) and time period and that comparisons must be made with people who don't use modern cosmetic surgeries. I have noticed however that this is not the case in other parts of the world like afghanistan where an average 19 year old would easily pass for 30 in the west. Poverty levels and environment make a difference. But when you limit it to western civilization a photo of a 40 year old person taken back in the 1800's looks exactly what a NATURAL 40 year old male or female today does today (assuming they've had nothing done and don't do modern skincare which is more common in certain places like parts of the midwest and such) even though their lifespan was shorter than ours is today. When looking at these photos it's good to look for shaven men since beards age people and beards were more common place back in the day.

Teeth are an interesting but a little bit of another topic because before sugar became the staple of the human diet in industrialized civilization dental problems were actually not that common. We know this because of old skulls that have been excavated and comparing them to the skulls of people today. Yes, you are right that people lost their teeth earlier than they do today- but remember people also lived shorter lives and had a shorter time being "old" and comparitively longer time being young. During their youth and peak years people had nice straight teeth despite not ever having braces because their diets required tougher chewing and was low in sugar. Even today in indigenous tribes that haven't had outside influences in centuries tend to have perfectly straight teeth despite not knowing what the hell braces even are. The following link is not where I originally came to these facts, but in looking for a link it's the first thing that comes up so I'll just use it now. why did indigenous people have straight teeth

So a 50 or so year life span where you have no awkward stage of braces because your youth and peak years you've got great teeth and are healthy then start to decline with aging around late 30's so you have only 10-15 years of decline out of the whole lifetime. Vs living 85-90 years; where we decline at around the SAME TIME of late 30's as they did except we end up fighting the declining stage of aging for roughly FOUR DECADES or more in order to socially survive. Sometimes I wonder who was really better off here.

Although I can agree that being able to get my food without worrying about being eaten by a crocodile in the process has been a plus. ;)

I suppose the secret to obtaining a longer youth- rather than a longer decline which is what we've thus far achieved, is to figure out how to trick mother nature into believing one is more fertile than they are. That would extend youth. Birth control works by fooling Mother Nature into thinking you are pregnant and that's why it works as well as it does for it's purpose. Cosmetic surgeries don't fool mother nature- rather they are attempting to fight the bitch and that's ultimately a losing battle. But if we can be sneaky about it and fool her- A pill that tricks the body into thinking it's got the reproductive potential of a 24 year old will naturally keep the face and body looking age 24 despite it's real age. Because our exterior, especially our faces, are nothing more than signals to potential mates as to our 'worthiness'; At least as far Ma nature's concerned, anyway.
Offline Sylvan  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:33:57 PM(UTC)

Well I agree that people's views of what is "old" and "middle aged" still haven't caught up with the times, especially later maturation cycles. A lot of what passes for ageing is the result of bad lifestyle choices and not a necessary consequence of it.