logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nikki613  
#31 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 12:13:42 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: KenCarson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Nikki,

Is Dr G doing a fractional or a traditional CO2 resurfacing?

I had a fractional CO2 resurfacing (Total FX). It only burns a fraction of the skin, that's why the healing is much faster. For example, my doctor did 2 passes at 10% density and about 40mJ, so only 20% of the skin was affected. Today, it looks like a bad sunburn but I'm still not ready to go out.

With traditional CO2 resurfacing, they remove the entire epidermis. That's why the healing takes 7-10 days. They put on a Silon dressing (Silon TSR). It serves the same purpose as Aquaphor and stays on for a few days. However, you will still have to do the soaks several times a day, because there will be fluids draining from your skin. When the dressing is off, you will still have to put on Aquaphor for about a week.

I know it sounds intense, but it's worth it. I've had 2 traditional and 3 fractional CO2's so far. I am getting them for acne scarring, so I prefer stronger treatments.

CO2 is the gold standard because it is absorbed most efficiently and causes collagen shrinkage and regeneration. But it's not just about the type of laser -- there are many settings the doctor can tweak to adjust the strength of the treatment (% density of coverage, depth/energy of the beam, number of passes, etc.).

Hey Ken,

G said he had the traditional CO2 laser. It'd cost an extra 2k USD. He didn't seem concerned about it being too much for me but I think it very well could be.

I've never has a fat transfer before and also, if he did the CO2 on my nose how could it heal under a cast etc...

I'll see if he has any thoughts as to a less intense laser. Or confirmation that he is sure it will be ok.

How much improvement do you get from the fractional CO2? I'm 34, former smoker, small acne scars only redness though, skin laxity and couple red broken blood vessels. I know... pretty much every skin problem.

Offline KenCarson  
#32 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 12:30:31 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
If he says you can handle it and you're comfortable with the recovery process, then go for it.

It's probably not worth doing a weaker treatment because the discomfort/inconvenience will be more or less the same. Either do the CO2 now or do it later.

I'm very happy with my results. That's why I keep going back haha. Wrinkles and skin texture will improve greatly, but scars will take multiple treatments. I now see it as a maintenance thing -- it's not something you do once and you have perfect skin forever :)

For redness you may need another type of laser, like Vbeam, which targets the red pigment.
Offline Nikki613  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:42:09 PM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
If he says you can handle it and you're comfortable with the recovery process, then go for it.

It's probably not worth doing a weaker treatment because the discomfort/inconvenience will be more or less the same. Either do the CO2 now or do it later.

I'm very happy with my results. That's why I keep going back haha. Wrinkles and skin texture will improve greatly, but scars will take multiple treatments. I now see it as a maintenance thing -- it's not something you do once and you have perfect skin forever :)

For redness you may need another type of laser, like Vbeam, which targets the red pigment.

Hi Ken,

I think the v-beam is pretty easy compared to the CO2 and much cheaper. I have some options for that locally which is good because I think it takes repeated treatments.

I do have a small hypertrophic scar on my cheek that I want removed. It's a bit raised and about 0.5 cm long.

I also have a red scar on my other cheek from an injection that got infected last February. I thought it would have gone away by now but I've developed a scar and it's very red. So that may also need the v-beam.

Do you think the CO2 would help with the scar? I may need it revised surgically. I'll ask G when I see him in a couple of weeks.

There are so many laser horror stories on RS though and am very worried about going to the wrong person.

How often do you get the CO2 re-done?
Offline Eliz  
#34 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:36:14 AM(UTC)

I had CO2 with Dr G at the same time as a FL. In my opinion, it's not too much to do at the same time as other procedures, and you will not feel a thing. Plus you will be healing from the other surgeries anyway, so doing it all at once makes sense. The silicone mask, which he invented, greatly reduces the healing time, as well as the redness. You'll have it on for about 4 days or so. You will not need to do the rinsing procedures, etc. After it's removed, there will be a few days of Aquaphor. It is white, and a little strange looking, but it also helps keep the swelling down from the FL. When it is removed, you'll be a little pink, but that will heal. Your skin will look terrific.

The mask loosens near the mouth if you talk too much or chew too much. The difference in my skin in the area it loosened was much redder, compared to where it stayed intact, proof that the mask really helps the healing.
Seeing pictures of people having CO2 laser elsewhere, compared to my experience, I wouldn't do it anywhere than with Dr G. In fact, I'm glad I hadn't seen those pictures beforehand!
I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by: Meeka Go to Quoted Post
Dr G uses his silicone mask which is applied during the surgery and kept on for the first few days. I haven't had it done but have read reviews on here , it seems to reduce the healing phase significantly and eliminates the patient applying creams etc in the first days. Elizabeth who posts on here has had this procedure, maybe you could pm her.

Offline Nikki613  
#35 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 8:59:46 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: Eliz Go to Quoted Post
I had CO2 with Dr G at the same time as a FL. In my opinion, it's not too much to do at the same time as other procedures, and you will not feel a thing. Plus you will be healing from the other surgeries anyway, so doing it all at once makes sense. The silicone mask, which he invented, greatly reduces the healing time, as well as the redness. You'll have it on for about 4 days or so. You will not need to do the rinsing procedures, etc. After it's removed, there will be a few days of Aquaphor. It is white, and a little strange looking, but it also helps keep the swelling down from the FL. When it is removed, you'll be a little pink, but that will heal. Your skin will look terrific.

The mask loosens near the mouth if you talk too much or chew too much. The difference in my skin in the area it loosened was much redder, compared to where it stayed intact, proof that the mask really helps the healing.
Seeing pictures of people having CO2 laser elsewhere, compared to my experience, I wouldn't do it anywhere than with Dr G. In fact, I'm glad I hadn't seen those pictures beforehand!
I hope this helps.

Eliz,
That really really helps. Thank you. If I can scrape enough extra cash together I think I';; go for it. Depending on what G says in person in 2 weeks.
Offline KenCarson  
#36 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2016 6:30:55 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Hey Nikki,

Vbeam is for redness/capillaries, etc. It's non-ablative and is actually very tolerable. You can do it on your lunch break. It won't resurface your skin or stimulate collagen, etc.

CO2 actually burns your skin, so it improves texture, complexion, elasticity, scars/wrinkes...

As far as the raised scar, I don't think lasers will help. I think it has to be removed surgically - they can make a small cut and remove whatever is underneath. It probably won't scar at all. I think that's your best option. They could also "shave" it, like they do for moles, etc., but this will leave a small pale scar that doesn't tan.

You can use Vbeam on the red scar, but it will probably go away by itself after the CO2.

I know there are a lot of horror stories, not just for lasers, but for any other procedure. lol. Just find a good dermatologist who does a lot of laser work.

I actually don't get CO2 that often. I had my first one 13 years ago, then another one 8 years ago, but this year I'm doing a series of 5 fractional ones (3 months apart). The fractional penetrates deeper than the traditional, and that's what I need right now for my scarring.
Offline Nikki613  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:18:07 PM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Hey Nikki,

Vbeam is for redness/capillaries, etc. It's non-ablative and is actually very tolerable. You can do it on your lunch break. It won't resurface your skin or stimulate collagen, etc.

CO2 actually burns your skin, so it improves texture, complexion, elasticity, scars/wrinkes...

As far as the raised scar, I don't think lasers will help. I think it has to be removed surgically - they can make a small cut and remove whatever is underneath. It probably won't scar at all. I think that's your best option. They could also "shave" it, like they do for moles, etc., but this will leave a small pale scar that doesn't tan.

You can use Vbeam on the red scar, but it will probably go away by itself after the CO2.

I know there are a lot of horror stories, not just for lasers, but for any other procedure. lol. Just find a good dermatologist who does a lot of laser work.

I actually don't get CO2 that often. I had my first one 13 years ago, then another one 8 years ago, but this year I'm doing a series of 5 fractional ones (3 months apart). The fractional penetrates deeper than the traditional, and that's what I need right now for my scarring.

Thank you Ken. I think Dr G will be able to surgically exercise the scar and he's pretty experienced with scars so I think he'd do a great job.