logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline KenCarson  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:25:44 AM(UTC)

Man
United States
Back in 2007, Fraxel was just a non-ablative erbium laser (Fraxel re:store).
Then came the ablative fractional CO2 laser by Lumenis (Active FX/Deep FX).
Then Fraxel made their own CO2 version (Fraxel re:pair).

So yes, you probably had a light treatment, but because it was done without anesthetic, it felt painful.

Laser resurfacing must always be done with some type of anesthetic (numbing cream + lidocaine injections + optional painkillers).
You should not be in pain during the treatment. It may hurt but it should be tolerable.

But there are many factors that affect your treatment:
  • type of laser (CO2 vs erbium)
  • density (percentage of skin treated)
  • fluence (energy of the beam)
  • number of passes

All of these are very important and so is the skill of your doctor.

Here's an illustration of the different types of treatment:
UserPostedImage

I think you should find doctors in your area that offer these treatments and see what they have to say, based on your skin type and goals. All of these lasers are capable of producing good results, but you will likely need multiple treatments. Do a patch test, start with lighter settings and see how it goes.
Offline Quno  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 3:48:35 PM(UTC)

If your IPL results aren't noticeable after 6 sessions, you definitely need to find a new technician. The parameters are clearly wrong.
Offline Mike D  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 4:15:58 PM(UTC)

Good info on this thread, Ken.
Offline Larazelle  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 5:48:13 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Mike D Go to Quoted Post
Good info on this thread, Ken.

I second that - Thanks Ken -

Offline KenCarson  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 8:33:56 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Thanks, folks. I have my next resurfacing in August. May post some pics to show the healing process.
Offline Nikki613  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:17:47 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: KenCarson Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, folks. I have my next resurfacing in August. May post some pics to show the healing process.

Hey Ken, is your resurfacing coming up soon?
Offline Nikki613  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:24:53 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Thank you for the good info Ken... Dr G said he would do the CO2 laser during surgery. I dropped it from the list though because the Canadian dollar really sucks right now and I needed to trim the bill down.

Now I'm re-thinking it though. It seems like doing an intense laser during surgery really makes things pop at the end and amplifies surgical results immensely. When your skin looks beautiful it's a lot easier to notice and appreciate surgical results.

Dr Guyuron is doing an upper face lift (I guess that's a full face lift that does not extend to the neck), revision rhino and then fat transfer to cheeks.

If I add on the laser (he didn't seem to think it would be too much all at once) I think I'll appreciate the results so much more.

BUT I am worried that it will be too much to do at one time. What do you think?

Offline KenCarson  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 11:56:33 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Personally, I wouldn't do it at the same time.

After laser resurfacing, you will have to rinse/soak your face every 3-4 hours for the first couple of days because there will be blood and other fluids draining from your skin and you don't want them to form a crust. You will also have to apply Aquaphor for 3-4 days.

Since you are getting other procedures done, you may want to just rest and recover from them and then do the laser. It only takes 4 days to heal, so you could do it Wednesday evening and be back at work on Monday. (I'm actually recovering from mine right now!)

If you're feeling brave, you could do it at the same time. The advantage is that you will be well anesthetized and you won't feel a thing. But be prepared to play a very active role in your laser recovery in the first couple of days!

Edited by user Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:27:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online Meeka  
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 4:46:52 AM(UTC)

Dr G uses his silicone mask which is applied during the surgery and kept on for the first few days. I haven't had it done but have read reviews on here , it seems to reduce the healing phase significantly and eliminates the patient applying creams etc in the first days. Elizabeth who posts on here has had this procedure, maybe you could pm her.
Offline Chris K  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 4:57:40 AM(UTC)

Woman
The mask G uses really does speed the healing process. Although you will look like a total freak shine it's on
Offline Robin  
#26 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 9:18:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Nikki613 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the good info Ken... Dr G said he would do the CO2 laser during surgery. I dropped it from the list though because the Canadian dollar really sucks right now and I needed to trim the bill down.

Now I'm re-thinking it though. It seems like doing an intense laser during surgery really makes things pop at the end and amplifies surgical results immensely. When your skin looks beautiful it's a lot easier to notice and appreciate surgical results.

Dr Guyuron is doing an upper face lift (I guess that's a full face lift that does not extend to the neck), revision rhino and then fat transfer to cheeks.

If I add on the laser (he didn't seem to think it would be too much all at once) I think I'll appreciate the results so much more.

BUT I am worried that it will be too much to do at one time. What do you think?

if you have not tried a regimen of skin improvement yet, going in with the "big guns" really isn't a great approach IMO.

A lot can be done to improve skin texture with dermatological care and less invasive lasers. Learn before you jump into something so radical.

Offline Nikki613  
#27 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:23:30 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: KenCarson Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I wouldn't do it at the same time.

After laser resurfacing, you will have to rinse/soak your face every 3-4 hours for the first couple of days because there will be blood and other fluids draining from your skin and you don't want them to form a crust. You will also have to apply Aquaphor for 3-4 days.

Since you are getting other procedures done, you may want to just rest and recover from them and then do the laser. It only takes 4 days to heal, so you could do it Wednesday evening and be back at work on Monday. (I'm actually recovering from mine right now!)

If you're feeling brave, you could do it at the same time. The advantage is that you will be well anesthetized and you won't feel a thing. But be prepared to play a very active role in your laser recovery in the first couple of days!

Hi Ken, how's the healing going? Did you do the Co2 laser or something less invasive? I could probably go for something less intense...I've never really had an effective laser treatment (besides failed IPL).

I thought the CO2 laser took weeks to heal?

I just like the idea of doing a laser while already recovering...so I don't have to take more time off in the future to do it. But I did not realize that I would have to play such an active role in the healing process.

I wish G had a laser that was less intense. I believe he only has the CO2.

How's the healing process going for you?

Offline Nikki613  
#28 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:24:47 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: Meeka Go to Quoted Post
Dr G uses his silicone mask which is applied during the surgery and kept on for the first few days. I haven't had it done but have read reviews on here , it seems to reduce the healing phase significantly and eliminates the patient applying creams etc in the first days. Elizabeth who posts on here has had this procedure, maybe you could pm her.

thanks Meeks
Offline Nikki613  
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:26:03 AM(UTC)

Woman
Canada
Originally Posted by: Robin Go to Quoted Post
if you have not tried a regimen of skin improvement yet, going in with the "big guns" really isn't a great approach IMO.

A lot can be done to improve skin texture with dermatological care and less invasive lasers. Learn before you jump into something so radical.

I've got an apt set up with a derm. My GP refereed me so we'll see what my options are. Thanks
Offline KenCarson  
#30 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2016 7:07:22 PM(UTC)

Man
United States
Hi Nikki,

Is Dr G doing a fractional or a traditional CO2 resurfacing?

I had a fractional CO2 resurfacing (Total FX). It only burns a fraction of the skin, that's why the healing is much faster. For example, my doctor did 2 passes at 10% density and about 40mJ, so only 20% of the skin was affected. Today, it looks like a bad sunburn but I'm still not ready to go out.

With traditional CO2 resurfacing, they remove the entire epidermis. That's why the healing takes 7-10 days. They put on a Silon dressing (Silon TSR). It serves the same purpose as Aquaphor and stays on for a few days. However, you will still have to do the soaks several times a day, because there will be fluids draining from your skin. When the dressing is off, you will still have to put on Aquaphor for about a week.

I know it sounds intense, but it's worth it. I've had 2 traditional and 3 fractional CO2's so far. I am getting them for acne scarring, so I prefer stronger treatments.

CO2 is the gold standard because it is absorbed most efficiently and causes collagen shrinkage and regeneration. But it's not just about the type of laser -- there are many settings the doctor can tweak to adjust the strength of the treatment (% density of coverage, depth/energy of the beam, number of passes, etc.).