logo

Help SUPPORT Miss J's Forum by shopping through: Miss J's AMAZON PORTAL

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zoey  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:21:16 AM(UTC)

There are so many, and I am having a hard time deciding which deep waver to get. I like the look of beachy curls not the crimped look. There are double and triple barrel ones; I tend to think the triple barrel will give me the look I want, but I can't decide which one to get. Curious if anyone on the board uses one?? I have very long hair.
Sponsor
If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Robin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:08:09 PM(UTC)

Zoey wrote:
There are so many, and I am having a hard time deciding which deep waver to get. I like the look of beachy curls not the crimped look. There are double and triple barrel ones; I tend to think the triple barrel will give me the look I want, but I can't decide which one to get. Curious if anyone on the board uses one?? I have very long hair.

I find it pretty easy to get that look using a flat iron - and I think less time consuming than a deep waver. I won't do it justice verbally but I found videos on you tube - the technique is to hold the flat iron parallel to the floor and as you glide down the hair shaft rotate it alternating towards the head and away from the head. you can control the tightness of the wave by how frequently you alternate. But I've never used a deep waver so... For new hair tools I usually look at the reviews on Folica and Ulta and get a pretty good sense of what will work for me (or not).
Offline Zoey  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 11:00:53 AM(UTC)

Thanks Robin,
I checked out some videos on you tube that described the technique that you are talking about and it does give the look that I want. However, I decided to get one of those Deep Wavers, just to see how it works, mainly because I never used a flat iron. Thanks!!
Robin wrote:

I find it pretty easy to get that look using a flat iron - and I think less time consuming than a deep waver. I won't do it justice verbally but I found videos on you tube - the technique is to hold the flat iron parallel to the floor and as you glide down the hair shaft rotate it alternating towards the head and away from the head. you can control the tightness of the wave by how frequently you alternate. But I've never used a deep waver so... For new hair tools I usually look at the reviews on Folica and Ulta and get a pretty good sense of what will work for me (or not).
Offline barbiegirl  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:45:28 PM(UTC)

Woman
I have pretty long hair too and just loosely wrap my hair around a large barrel curling iron (no clamp and lots of burns) for the beachy wave effect. It works great and is fast too- I can be finished in 15-20 minutes.
"My friends, love is better than anger.
Hope is better than fear.
Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.
And we’ll change the world"

Wear a yellow ribbon, March is Endometriosis Awareness Month!
Offline Zoey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:03:22 PM(UTC)

I might have to try what you and Robin are recommending because the waver that I got made my hair look crimped.

barbiegirl wrote:
I have pretty long hair too and just loosely wrap my hair around a large barrel curling iron (no clamp and lots of burns) for the beachy wave effect. It works great and is fast too- I can be finished in 15-20 minutes.
Offline Robin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:21:34 PM(UTC)

Zoey wrote:
I might have to try what you and Robin are recommending because the waver that I got made my hair look crimped.

I also use a large barrel curling iron sometimes but it gives a different look. I like the one by T3 with a clamp because you can do the same effect as the clipless ones without risking finger burns.

there are sooooo many vids now, lots of junk to sort thru. most of the videos for beach waves w flatiron involve flipping the iron all the way around instead of rocking back and forth... the videos for crimping with a flat iron are closer to a deep waver effect - except that with the flatiron you can control how tight the wave is by how fast you slide it down the shaft as you're rocking the iron back and forth.

Offline MissJ  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:38:48 PM(UTC)

Can't you make waves in your hair by braiding sections of it and then unbraiding?
Miss J. Seeing eye companion to the aesthetically blind since 1998.

If reading these posts has been helpful to you, consider helping out the board by purchasing via my AMAZON PORTAL seen at the top of each page.

Sales DIRECTLY from here help defray costs of this board. (Works for US residents only.)
Offline Robin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:09:11 PM(UTC)

MissJ wrote:
Can't you make waves in your hair by braiding sections of it and then unbraiding?

my hair never dries if I do that... ok well maybe not never, but it takes more than a day
Offline barbiegirl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:58:00 PM(UTC)

Woman
Robin wrote:

I also use a large barrel curling iron sometimes but it gives a different look. I like the one by T3 with a clamp because you can do the same effect as the clipless ones without risking finger burns.

there are sooooo many vids now, lots of junk to sort thru. most of the videos for beach waves w flatiron involve flipping the iron all the way around instead of rocking back and forth... the videos for crimping with a flat iron are closer to a deep waver effect - except that with the flatiron you can control how tight the wave is by how fast you slide it down the shaft as you're rocking the iron back and forth.

I think the look you get depends a lot on your hair texture and the size of the barrel. I have really fine hair that doesn't like to hold a curl well, so what starts off as long soft curls turns into loose waves within an hour or two. Wavier, thicker textures might stay curly though. I had a stylist who did the most amazing things with a flat iron, but I've never been able to master any of her techniques.

Offline barbiegirl  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:58:47 PM(UTC)

Woman
MissJ wrote:

I would be frizz city with that haha. My hair *needs* a blow dryer.