logo

Please visit Miss J's Store or support Miss J's Forum by shopping here: Amazon.com

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.
Registrations are CLOSED. Please see this topic for more information.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kacey06  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2009 1:19:01 AM(UTC)

Can people share what procedures they have had done to get rid of broken capillaries?
Sponsor
Please HELP support Miss J's Forum by purchasing things from my shop at Amazon.com This is the best PS message board site on the web because it's not over commercialized. However, there are still BILLs to pay, comcast bill just for me to get on here, tech support and other things associated with the site. Sales are not covering those bills. So, please try to help defray my costs by buying something from my store that you would be buying elsewhere anyway.
Offline DCNGA  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2009 9:25:54 AM(UTC)

Woman
I had 1 V-Beam treatment that worked exceptionally well for me. I need another now, but usually 2 or more treatments (six weeks apart) are needed to achieve the best results.

My derm uses one of the older V-Beams. I've heard one of the newer V-Beams has caused fat loss for at least one person. I had no issues with the one my derm uses--excellent results for me.

D
Offline Bridget  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:05:06 PM(UTC)

Hi Kacey:
There are a few things you can do for broken caps, partly it depends on what is going on with you. If you have rosacea too, a series of Lumenis One IPLs would probably be the most cost effective because you could deal with the condition overall, as well as eliminate broken caps.

If your concern is only broken capillaries (called telangiectasia) V Beam laser often works very well. I've had that done 14 times, and it works very well done properly sometimes in only one visit. If it's a stubborn one, like on the nose, they're more vascular, it might take 2-3, but normally 1-2 is enough esp if you tell them it's ok to bruise a little (this makes them go away faster). There are other lasers used, but I think that one is probably the best. There are other methods to remove them, Vascutouch is one thing I think I have the name right on that, used in salons, etc which uses radiofrequency to shut them down. Not as powerful as th device a derm would use in office, but same technology, just weaker. Also cheaper than laser. But there is the slight risk of I think loss of or increased pigment, can't remember, but Susan RN would know and she's back on the forum. I have a friend who's had that done numerous times. Injections are almost never done on the face.

HTH
;o) Bridget

kacey06 wrote:
Can people share what procedures they have had done to get rid of broken capillaries?
Offline kacey06  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:50:51 AM(UTC)

Thank you, Bridget and DCNGA. I have contacted 2 places and 1 uses IPL, the other V-beam. The IPL used is the Palomar Starlux 500 IPL and the V-beam is Candela 595 nm. Are these good?

I have rosy cheeks, but am not sure if that is really rosacea or just the look due to the broken caps.

I have a blood disorder, and this may be a stupid question, but is there any risk of blood loss with either of these 2 procedures?
Offline Amber  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 5:14:30 AM(UTC)

Hi Kacey,

I can vouch that the Palomar Starluz is a good IPL machine. However, IPL success if very operator dependent as well. There are a lot of choices of settings the operator can make -- more than it seems. It took a good number of sessions, but IPL got rid of my telangiectasias, and sun damage too, with no down time.

I am not aware of even a remote possibility of blood loss with IPL i.e., the skin isn't broken, but given both IPL and V-beam are targetting blood vessels, it would make sense to tell the practitioner about your blood diorder.

Ideally you want a derm/PS who has BOTH IPL and V-Beam so that you can discuss the pros and cons of each for YOU.

Hope this helps

Amber
Offline DCNGA  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 6:21:40 AM(UTC)

Woman
Just be careful with IPL. The fat loss stories I hear about it are VERY upsetting. It's not a common occurrence but it DOES HAPPEN. Also, the odds of fat loss seems to go up with the more treatments you have--although some have experienced fat loss after only one treatment. They also speak of damage to the skin-orange peel skin, with small indentation and acne ice pick type scarring. This is not to be taken lightly. I also don't want to stir up controversy, but even Dr. Lam admits to this happening so it is not as isolated as some might think. You can read some of the fat loss and skin damage stories here:

http://dailystrength.org...ps/laser-and-ipl-support

I know of one person on the support group with fat loss from a very new VBeam, as well. I had VBeam with no problems whatsoever and excellent results, but my derm uses an older VBeam--not the very newest ones out.

Good luck.

D
Offline kacey06  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 7:16:12 AM(UTC)

Thanks so much, Amber and DCNGA. That is rather scary with the IPL/fat loss. And, I did not like hearing from Amber that it took quite a few sessions with the IPL to get rid of the broken caps. That adds up to a lot of money! I do like the advice to look for a person who does both, so I can get pros and cons. I will start searching out those that use both in their practice. Thanks so much for all the help!
Offline Bridget  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 1:34:15 PM(UTC)

Hi Kacey:
There are a lot of IPL machines out there by various manufacturers. I have had 3 used on me. The current one and the best of the lot is the IPL by Lumenis One. Dr. Nicholas Soldo uses that and only that to treat rosacea as it can be adjusted/filtered to target all 3 layers, superficial, medium and deep, layers of the skin where the blood vessels reside. There is only one V Beam laser, which is a pulsed dye type of laser, manufactured by Candela (Susan RN knows a lot about their lasers, she used them all I think, and I have been treated by her as well). After 14 V Beam laser treatments for rosacea (which in my case includes mid face redness (rosy cheeks), bumps, flushing, and broken capillaries, plus burning pain, I had to switch to IPL because the V Beam was making it worse. I was experiencing rebound redness time after time no matter how gentle the settings. The way the light hits the skin with the pulse dye is different than how it hits the skin with the IPL, the light wave is maintained for longer with the Lumenis One IPL which targets the vessels better, plus if 2-3 passes are done with different filters, it targets all the blood vessels, not just the deep ones or just the shallow ones. Which if you have rosacea is important because the ones you don't zap can rebound with the stress of the treatment. Very common with rosacea patients. My doctor uses a cold ultrasound gel on the skin during the IPl treatment which cools the skin while it's being targeted (also important for rosacea as the skin is abnormally warm and heat sensitive and vessels are reactive), and applies very cold washcloths over the whole treated area after we're done to cool the skin further. Then, I lay under his LED (red) lamp, the same as the one I have at home, and that reduces the inflammation even further (there always is some after treatment). I have continued to experience improvement with this machine and this method, after 17 treatments. My rosacea is quite severe in a number of respects. Just be aware not all IPL machines are engineered the same way. They do not all do the same thing and are not interchangeable.

If you have a blood disorder, I would bring information about your condition to the attention of the provider, bring printed info for them if necessary in case they are not familiar with it, to see if you have any issues with what they plan to do. If you bleed easily, V Beam on more powerful settings (Susan can explain better) can cause bruising ("purpura") which eliminates broken capillaries faster with fewer treatments, but if you bruise very easily might not be the best course for you. Ask lots of questions of your doctor. IPL, Lumenis One anyway, does not cause purpura, although sometimes if we've turned it up a little, I will get a little reddened spot here or there, but it goes away quickly. With lying under the LED for 20 minutes before I go home, I am not red when I leave.

I have never heard of IPL causing fat loss. It is not the same as radiofrequency, early versions of which (Thermage) did cause fat loss because it was monopolar radiofrequency and heated the skin up too much. They didn't know that much about how to use it properly either in the beginning. Now the units are bi-polar which is less damaging to the skin. However if you have a redness condition, radiofrequency treatment (which is now bundled with IPL in some machines like the ELOS) is not a good idea. In my case it permanently worsened my rosacea, for which I am still paying dearly. Susan can talk to you about concerns with V Beam also, but I had it 14 times like I said, with 3 different providers, Susan was one, and never experienced any ill effects except post treatment swelling (6 days), and in the end, rebound redness about 6 days after treatment, which was a result of a too aggressive treatment for my skin condition. The new V Beam is called the Perfecta, and I really didn't notice any difference in results between the older version and the Perfecta. The Perfecta just felt a little stingier to me. Make sure whichever you use, or any other laser treatment, to wear a high SPF sunblock (better than a sunscreen, one with zinc and titanium in it) after treatment and for quite some time afterward to avoid burning or hyperpigmentation from the sun, especially if you live in sunny climate.

HTH
;o) Bridget

kacey06 wrote:
Thanks so much, Amber and DCNGA. That is rather scary with the IPL/fat loss. And, I did not like hearing from Amber that it took quite a few sessions with the IPL to get rid of the broken caps. That adds up to a lot of money! I do like the advice to look for a person who does both, so I can get pros and cons. I will start searching out those that use both in their practice. Thanks so much for all the help!
Offline Pentacles  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:22:09 AM(UTC)

Hi Bridget!
I have not posted at this forum in awhile, and it's great that you are still here contributing!
I figured that since you deal with rosacea, you would be able to suggest a good topical to reduce spider veins on face/ankles, and general facial redness?

Thanks!
Pentacles

Bridget wrote:
Hi Kacey:
There are a few things you can do for broken caps, partly it depends on what is going on with you. If you have rosacea too, a series of Lumenis One IPLs would probably be the most cost effective because you could deal with the condition overall, as well as eliminate broken caps.

If your concern is only broken capillaries (called telangiectasia) V Beam laser often works very well. I've had that done 14 times, and it works very well done properly sometimes in only one visit. If it's a stubborn one, like on the nose, they're more vascular, it might take 2-3, but normally 1-2 is enough esp if you tell them it's ok to bruise a little (this makes them go away faster). There are other lasers used, but I think that one is probably the best. There are other methods to remove them, Vascutouch is one thing I think I have the name right on that, used in salons, etc which uses radiofrequency to shut them down. Not as powerful as th device a derm would use in office, but same technology, just weaker. Also cheaper than laser. But there is the slight risk of I think loss of or increased pigment, can't remember, but Susan RN would know and she's back on the forum. I have a friend who's had that done numerous times. Injections are almost never done on the face.

HTH
;o) Bridget

kacey06 wrote:
Offline jill  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:31:48 AM(UTC)

Woman
I had mine removed with Versa Pulse laser 3 years ago. Unfortunately I have new ones that have cropped up (not in the same spots) so I will need to have it redone.